Salsa > Salsa" threesomes"

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by vey, Feb 8, 2004.

1. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I don't know!! :? Probably because a lot of merengues get played, I'm talking with two ladies and don't want to leave one out? (What a gentleman, am I. :wink: :) ) If it is a good night with a good dance mix I'm usually want the one-to-one partnership dynamic. Plus, I'll admit I cannot do much with two compared to dancing with one lady. When it is a bad music night I start wanting to fool around.

2. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

ok this is one thing that im kinda iffy on...3somes can be fun but only if they are done with good intentions. in my experience ive had alot of guys do it purely to show off to everyone watching. a big group of beginner girls come in or something and hell go find 2 girls that he knows can follow him and he spends the whole time just looking at the spectators smiling and winking and not paying attention to the girls hes dancing with, that can make for some crashes when the 2 girls cross over (im talking about the 3 somes where you have one girl on each hand doing the same thing not where the man switches back and forth between partners, that is alot of fun!!) the other thing i noticed is that when its a 3some the guy often starts dancing too fast for the music...panic? showing off? im not sure but that makes life harder for the followers. then it starts getting up to more and more spins for the girls which when done on the wrong beat like "oh tht hott girl is looking i better make these girls do a million spins RIGHT NOW" can be dangerous as you havent prepared

dont get me wrong i know that this isnt most guys agenda but my past experiences have really put me off the whole thing. :(

3. Sagitta

Not mine, SalseraLaura!! Never! I actually have initiated all mine due to signals from the ladies I've been with. Yesterday night another girl friend called out "you are the man", and then I got distracted. :oops: I want to give the poeple whom I'm dancing with a good time, not show-of!! And yesterday night I spun one lady at least 20 times...but she likes to spin and wants to spin and spin and spin. I was just giving her what she wants! Honest! :oops: :)

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

8) My (new) partner & I have started practicing these threesomes.

We've done it with another girl, and we will also be doing it with another guy.

No, it's definitely not for showing off........ we just want to learn different things, and do them properly.

5. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

ive had fun before dancing 3some it depends on the guy really....and yes i do LOVE to spin and spin and spin but i just find that during the 3some dances with the guys ive danced with that theyre lead isnt as strong as usual so its harder to spin well and the timing is off which makes it even harder, and lastly due to the show off thing that these particular guys do they wont stop spinning you when you start to go off and that just looks sloppy. 3somes are definitely something that can be great fun but i guess in my club circuit the only guys brave enough to try it are the one who are a little too brave if you know what i mean :wink:

6. capricorndancer

capricorndancer New Member

More than . . .

At the San Francisco congress last year, before the acts started one night, there was a small, middle-aged Latino dancing off to the side off the seats. He started with one or two ladies, surrounded by a half-circle of watchers. As time went by, he added ladies from the watchers, until he had six or eight people dancing with him. Not much fancy stuff, obviously, but it was most amusing to watch; he virtually disappeared for long moments, surrounded by so many women, most of whom were much bigger than he.

In my small experience, dancing with two ladies in Merengue, when their 'free' hands are also linked, can be a real hoot: trying to un-knot each other, after one or another move has been initiated. The most important thing, I think, is that the women know how to handle themselves without too much strong leading; the guy can't be thinking about their balance, etc, with the extra person in tow. The ladies have to be OK with interacting with each other to some extent, too.

So, threesomes are not for novices. ;-)

CD

7. SalseraLaura

SalseraLaura New Member

The most important thing, I think, is that the women know how to handle
    i totally know what you mean, obviously less than half the attention of 1 on 1 partner dancing can be given during a 2 on 1 dance...usually men only try this with women that they know will be able to follow, watching the other woman is very important so that you dont bump into each other, what i was referring to was the problem of bad often rough leading out of time with the music which causes the women to spin incorrectly and a refusal to stop spinning the woman even if both are falling over because of the show element of this type of dance. it is just that when i dance 2 on 1 with men who have a generally good lead and timing their ego seems to get in the way so it becomes a 3 on 1 the man trying to dance with 2 women and his big head.... :lol:

this is probably just a problem in the salsa scene that im involved in

8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

It seems that this is common in a number of dances. I first saw it being done in Lindy a several months back in a farewell dance (though the guy still hasn't left the area ... hmm). Then last weekend I was taught it in WCS at the end of a WCS "rueda" (my term; they called it "four-play" with 2 couples and "mass confusion" with more than 2) workshop. And it also exists the "Double Bug" (a form of a Scandanavian Lindy derivative, the Bugg) that is said to have developed in the early 80's when there were far more women dancing than men (http://www.swingcraze.com/ussds/other_swing_dance_styles.html#DoubleBug -- also see Bugg on the same page); there's a class scheduled on it for Sunday (1 Aug) at Camp Hollywood.

I've heard that our Salsa teacher does it too, but I've not seen it yet. Also, as I recall Edie's (SalsaFreak) story, the first time she saw Salsa being danced at one point the man was dancing with both women at the same time.

9. Sabor

Sabor New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: sorry.. i couldn't help it LMAO!

ok ok i now .. i'm going to do it for u guys..

:doh: <...... there :tongue:

10. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Sabor, what are we going to do with you? :nope: Don't make me send Agent 22 after your socksies again. :wink: :lol:

I just saw a former teacher of mine in a video clip do a Salsa Threesome at the LA Salsa congress with Jesus Morales (Not sure who the other follow was). Talk about chemistry. Hmm...I wonder why the never competed in Salsa together. Anyways, very nice clip. :banana:

Edit: This video is mamboston2.com but you have to be a member to view. :( Otherwise I would have posted it.

11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

We had a blast doing the salsa threesome with Rico on Sunday :banana: !

I truly wished that my partner have been there to see it. Confidence makes a whole world of difference 8)

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Eric Turro from Buena Vista had done this with three girls. He had two of them holding onto one hankerchief, then grabbed the middle of it in one hand. The third girl goes on his other hand.

Needless to say the whole thing was nothing short of amazing to watch :wink: .

13. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Note to self... invest in good handkerchiefs. :) :)

14. Sagitta

Okay so I did a merengue threesome last night. :p Fun. :)

15. etchuck

etchuck New Member

:ladiesma:

16. Sagitta

I'm telling you, and they only danced with me. Came from swing, stayed for an hour or so and danced with me. :)

17. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Had a threesome with two guys last night :banana: -- one cuban style dancer and the other LA style, breaking on different beats! :shock: And on a floor with a fresh beer spill, which I seemed to find every time they did a switch! :shock: :shock: It was fun nonetheless. :D

18. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Were these the "two buses"? ;)

19. msjanemas

msjanemas New Member

Multiple opposite dance partners was a way of sharing/including people that were left out at the edge of the dance floor without a partner. It has been done in nighclubs since the 60s. Sometimes a guy would take 3 girls out for the evening. Later on during the evening you would see him dancing with all of them at the same time. Sometimes an unknown girl or two would make a facial signal to jump in the fun to the guy and his smile would indicate "go ahead" and there would be four or five. Other times a guy would join to help out the first guy when there were too many women and you'll see a cross exchange...like rueda.

20. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I'm afraid that what you describe doesn't happen that much anymore.

I'd be in favor of reviving that practice myself. 8) 8) Granted, I need a good group of women that I know would be comfortable with that. I already have two girls who enjoy sandwiching me (as far as cha-cha, swing, rumba or merengue/salsa are concerned anyway).

I forgot to mention one of my favorite dancers... she had the delightful opportunity of dancing with me and another fellow earlier this month. Of course I had enough trouble trying to see if I should follow or lead (for the sake of the other gentleman who could only lead).

Also at the showcase that I attended yesterday, one of the dances was a "formation" with the pro (male) dancing with two am's (both female) in American rumba. Quite interesting... I wouldn't do that myself, but oh well... if there are people willing to share...