Salsaholics Annonymous - Phases of Salsa Addiction

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pass It On, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Pass It On

Pass It On New Member

2. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I especially like the part that says, "Would rather have Salsa than sex".
    I used to be like that!
    I also like the part about arguing about the way Salsa should be danced. I've been there...done that. :lol:
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

This is a hoot! :lol: :lol:

Why does this remind me of conversations sometimes going on in the salsa forum? Hmm. :lol: :lol:
  4. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

HA HA This is funny! :lol:
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure you'd think so (let alone say it) if you were a salsaholic! :wink:

...or, then again, you might find it even funnier! :lol:
  6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Yep, I'm right where I should be...you need to know a salsa spot in Denver, I know them ALL!! :lol:
  7. salsamale

salsamale New Member

I'm on the accelerated addiction plan (change Months to Weeks).

Would rather have Salsa than sex? I think I'm there. The first thing that crosses my mind when looking at a woman is, "I wonder how good of a Salsa dancer she is?"
  8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

roflmao...
  9. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

I've been in this zone for over a year now... and it really sucks :( I just can't seem to date anyone who isn't a good salsera.. and there aren't very many of those to go around.. I know, I know.. I already told my shrink... :D
  10. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL I saw Edie's chart after the first week I started dancing and was laughing so hard when I read it. Every time I sort of reflect on where I am with my salsa dancing, I guage myself against the chart and know I'm normal, lol. Well, relatively speaking.
  11. naturallove

naturallove New Member

See...I don't know whether or not I'd want to date a salsero. It would be nice to have someone to practice and social dance with, but that's the definition of dance partner. I kind of like the idea of being able to go out and do my own salsa thing and have him meet me at the door with a late-night after club snack.:raisebro:
  12. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Yeah, I have the same thoughts. So now, I'm starting to focus on other dancers - like lindy, tango, modern dance etc - i.e. folks who are capable of dancing salsa with me sometimes (moderately well) while being passionate about something else. I can reciprocate in the same manner (be an 'ok' dancer in a different style and occasionally spend time doing that, but not be obsessed about that style)... I sound crazy to even me :rolleyes:
  13. naturallove

naturallove New Member

Not to me (does that make me crazy). You don't necessarily need another salsera--but you may want someone who understand what it is to be passionate about dance. Nothing at all wrong with that one.
  14. yippee1999

yippee1999 New Member

I guess I see myself all over that chart, and not just in one particular place. But two things I'm apparently not getting are.... what's with the women supposedly more coverup eye makeup... does she mean cuz of lack of sleep? And why would one GAIN BACK ten pounds?

Once my level of dancing intensified, I found that I lost about 6 pounds, which really upset me because I'm naturally quite petite and thin, and so losing a few pounds really shows on me, and I felt I was beginning to look "gaunt". So now I have to make a concerted effort to eat well, and never skip meals (which I occasionally used to do if I was really busy or something...)
  15. alemana

alemana New Member

once my out-of-work life became completely obsessed with dancing, my ability consume a normal dinner disappeared. initially, i lost weight. then i began unconsciously making up for the lack of dinner by eating fast-energy food and a lot more sugar, and the weight loss began to reverse itself. i would be suprised if this weren't very common.
  16. I hear you. I have been in almost all of the stages in this chart, too. Yes, the one with the eye make-up, too. After weeks of lack of sleep you start getting dark rings around your eyes. Also thought for a while that I needed to change my facial creams and that my pimples were an exterior problem. When I got more sleep, they all disappeard, it had nothing to do with the products I used.

I lost 6-8 pounds in the first 2 months of salsa/merengue dancing and my whole figure changed for the better, which I liked a lot at first. I believe it was more the merengue than the salsa that deserves the credit for that. We are in the same boat, now I am too skinny and would like to gain back some pounds. I always start on concerted efforts to eat more but then I keep forgetting again....

I find this chart very amusing and very true :)