Tango Argentino > Samba in Brazil, Argentine Tango in Buenos Aries?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jan 25, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

An Argentine Tango-mad friend of mine is heading to Argentina to improve her Tango, but I've read lots about the thousands of tourist dancers who flock to Buenos Aires _ and the Samba fiends who never miss a Carnivale _ year round and have an absolute blast.

Has anyone here had the chance to learn/dance a dance in its homeland?

What was it like? How does the experience differ from, for example, learning AT in Iceland from a native or learning the dance from an expert in a dance who doesn't necessarily share any roots with the dance.

2. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

What? With all these mad dancers in the forums, nobody had done a dance they love in its homeland or perhaps danced at a seminal place in the dance's history?

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Since I started dancing salsa, Cuba has entered my list of dream holiday destinations, but alas, I've got no chance of getting my salsa-hating hubby's approval. He wouldn't even let me go to weekenders/congresses in England -- anything that requires an overnight stay is a no-no. :cry: :cry: :cry:
    One of my occasional teachers spent her New Year holiday in Havana (though she teaches LA style) and says it was fabulous. I am sooooooooo jealous!

I suppose NY and LA also count as salsa homelands? My hubby may be less hostile to the idea of going to the US with me... But probably not if it involves any salsa dancing in the itinerary....... :( :(

4. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

Tango in Buenos Aires is great. They do the same things us basically but it feels more alive and more like its a part of them. If your friends go into the microcentral there is usually a performance near Lavalle and Florida streets, or if they are near the Recolata there are dance outside the movie theater. Its even better now that its summer because a lot dances occur outside. If you like other dance, I can maybe tell you some clubs to go to and some place to avoid in terms of salsa clubs.