Samba music: Can't find good tracks!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Twilight_Elena, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

I've been looking for some good samba songs, and so far the only one which has a clear rhythm and samba "bouncy" feeling is Jovanotti's "L'ombelico del mondo". Great song, because it's not so... european/american, but has the brazilian feeling in it. I know it's ballroom samba, but I can do the Samba Bounce a lot better if the music is energetic!
    Another example of that latino feeling in a samba song is Celia's amazing "La Negra Tiene Tumbao". Can't stop dancing to that song!
    So, any other suggestions of samba songs which are NOT too dance/club (like "Samba De Janeiro"), too soft (like "Under the sea" in Little Mermaid) or too american/european?
    Also helps if the lyrics are spanish, I've noticed, but it's not a rule.
    Always wanting more out of her music compliations,

ElenaTwilight :p
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'll look around. I seem to remember seeing a listing of samba songs on the web somewhere ... now where? :?
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Sambas Pa Ti is a great album.
  4. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I love "High Power" samba Samba Pas Ti, I'm also very happy with the tracks on Cafe Paradiso and Pais Tropical, or "Ritmo de Bom Bom" on The Latin Masters.
  5. Medira

Medira New Member

Check out the Putumayo (putumayo dot com) collection of music. They feature a wide variety of world music and I haven't found a bad track on a CD of theirs yet. I don't have one of their Samba CDs yet, but I'm sure you could find something that might help. They sell the CDs in the world music section of regular music stores.
  6. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

A df'er (where'd Dom go??!!) told me about Latin Mix 2 and Aqua de Coco, both of which I really like a lot. If I had to get only one, I'd go with Latin Mix 2. You can listen to tracks at danceshopper.com
  7. b.b.

b.b. New Member

There's a Ricky Martin's song that's a very good for practicing samba. It is called "Lola, Lola" and it has some elements of guitar rumba, which doesn't make it sound too Brazilian, but the rhytm is definitely samba. You can hear it at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...gy_img_2/103-0439488-3565436?v=glance&s=music

Also, a good song would be 'Tic Tic Tac', if you find one of the Brazilian versions. It sounds so much better in Portugese. Various artists remixed this song and I think that Carrapicho did a version in English.
  8. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

An album I love is George Duke's "A Brazillian Love Affair"

I don't know how authentic it is, but it's a great album and has some funky upbeat tracks that I like to move to. It was recorded in Brazil using Brazillian musicians and whilst some tracks are more American and jazz-oriented others are more samba. It's also accessible and easy to find! But then I like George Duke anyway.

You can listen to snippets on amazon.com, if you want to see if it suits you. "Cravo E Canela" is very bright, very percussive and upbeat, as is "Up From The Sea..." and I love the last track "Caxanga"
  9. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Hehehehe, they're more authentic in Portuguese surely? :p :p :p
  10. b.b.

b.b. New Member

11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

They sure sound better! I just can't feel that latin spirit when the lyrics are in english! That's my main problem with salsa songs such as "Lady" by Orquestra La Palabra: I really like this song, but the english lyrics ruin it all...

Twilight Elena
  12. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I really like, Samba 1000 by Ursula 1000 off of the album "Kinda Kinky." If I had to choose a samba to choreograph something to that would be it.
  13. Medira

Medira New Member

*BUMP!*

...any new suggestions for music? I'm putting together practice CDs and I'm lacking in samba.
  14. musicchica86

musicchica86 Active Member

Try "Besos de Fuego" by Ricky Martin...it's got a cool beat to it.
  15. spencer

spencer New Member

i just love kaoma-bantu :)
    then u have magalenha
    africa-toto?? and all night long by l richie........i know they aint the typical ballroom samba's but hey!!:)
  16. Medira

Medira New Member

Hey, you're talking to someone who danced a tango to "Love Shack" by the B-52's not too long ago...traditional isn't a prerequisite.

Thanks for the ideas guys! :)
  17. spencer

spencer New Member

lol@medira

try this as well by julio iglesias-agua dulce agua salsa...or sumthin like that...lovely song :)
  18. bonz

bonz New Member

19. VTDancer

VTDancer Member

Might not be authentic Brasilian, but "La Isla Bonita" by Madonna has a great Samba feel to it.
  20. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

I've compiled a list of dance music at http://www.dancesportmusic.com/ that's organized by dance. There are notes for each song, including beat count and suitability for different dance situations. You might find some useful info there.