San Francisco Free Folk Festival June 12-13, 2010 - Music, Dancing & Family Fun

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Zhena, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

http://www.sffolkfest.org/2010/index.html

The San Francisco Free Folk Festival was conceived in 1976 by the San Francisco Folk Music Club. Two days of activities ... Saturday June 12 and Sunday June 13. Four music venues, three dance venues, numerous concerts and family events. Free ... volunteer driven. Try something different!

2. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Wish I could go, but I'm busy this weekend. :(

Hate to miss the Jane Austen's Dances class. And especially the Zweifacher class, as I've always wanted to be able to dance to the 5/4 "Viennese waltz" 2nd movement of Tchaikovsky's Pathétique.

Have fun! :grin:

3. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Too bad you won't make it ....

I'll have to listen to the Pathétique to see if it would work.

For the average Zweifacher, the first trick is to know the sequence of 3/4 vs 2/4. The second trick is to control your momentum. Step on every beat. For the 2/4 measure, pivot 180 degrees on each step. For the 3/4 measure, use the full 3 beats for a 180 degree turn.

So, if you decide to break the 5/4 measure into 2 then 3, the beats would be "pivot-pivot waltz-two-three". If you go with 3 then 2, the beats would be "waltz-two-three pivot-pivot". In either case you would have completed 720 degrees of turn at the end of the measure, and you'll be on the other foot.

Properly done, you don't cover a lot of ground ... no swooping across the floor (though young and enthusiastic dancers do anyway). I think it's OK to not make the full turn, and it's definitely OK to take a break by rocking in place (without turning) if you get dizzy.

I believe the turn is always supposed to be in the natural direction ... though I've seen people experimenting with the reverse.

Let me know what happens if you try it!

4. Terpsichorean Clod

Wouldn't waltz-two-three pivot-pivot be 180 + 180 + 180 = 540 degrees? Anyway, those are some pretty fast pivots at about 180 bpm (assuming similar tempo to Viennese). :bouncy: Would it be okay to do just one 180 degree pivot over the two beats?

I'd also love to be able to dance to Bernstein's Divertimento (a 7/8 homage to the Pathétique):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YJhrVVDAY#t=1m25s. :)

5. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

I've never been good with numbers ... of any sort. I should have checked my math ...

The speed should not be as fast as Viennese ... does that help?

6. Terpsichorean Clod

It kind of helps. It's still within the realm of possibility, but probably not doable for me as I'm having enough difficulty with pivots at 90 bpm. :)

7. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Major oops ...

When I was writing this, the words in my head were pivot-pivot waltz-two-three ... because the music playing in my head was 1-2 1-2 1-2-3 1-2-3 (rather than 1-2 1-2-3).

I SHOULD have said ... step on every beat of the waltz measure but only once in every pivot measure. For the 2/4 measure, pivot 180 degrees with one step. For the 3/4 measure, use the full 3 beats for a 180 degree turn.

To re-emphasize, a pivot takes 2 beats, not one.

I played a song in my head for 30 seconds and counted the number of pivots and waltzes, multiplied them out, doubled the result, and came up with 180 bpm as a reasonable speed.

Given that your were mistakenly trying to do two pivots at 90 bpm, it may be a challenge to do one at 180 bpm, but still possible ... maybe???

8. Terpsichorean Clod

:bkick:
    So the pivots are at about 90 bpm? :)

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"As is true of most American social dance forms of the twentieth Cetnury, evidence indicates that the Texas Tommy evolved from popular black venacular dance forms that spread from regional black communities to mainstream America, taking root in metropolitan centers."

The Texas Tommy has been proposed as one of those dances. And it has been proposed as one of the roots of Lindy Hop.
    I've long thought that it looked like the Schottische, but now I see there is another candidate.

Here is the best known version of an early record of the Texas Tommy. You have to wait for it, because they are doing some sort of "square dance" for the first part - with some interesting styling for sure! That, I think, is very relevant.

Here is a "tough dance" from the other end of the US, New York. This one is dated 1902, 12 years before the preceeding one.

http://www.loc.gov/item/varsmp.1894

The "basic step(s)?"

In these two clips, it looks like they are doing more of a polka step, which makes sense if the music did not change from 3/4 to 2/4.

"young working class women in New York City readily foresook the waltz for "spieling" - also known as "pivoting" - and "tough" dancing...
    "spieling resembles a dance called zweifachers"
    from "Dancing Class" on dancing at the turn of the century - the Progressive Era - as stated by the author.

What do you thinK?