Country and Western > Save a Horse...

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by dancersdreamland, May 25, 2005.

1. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy" song by Big & Rich. If not, check it out right now! It has such an amazine beat and rhythm!

Then, I was wondering if anyone has learned a line dance to the song. I found SEVERAL versions of step sheets on the Kick It website, but wasn't sure which version is the most popular.

I greatly appreciate your feedback!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Love the song. Don't know the dance. :?

3. dancersdreamland

Okay...so I've found several step sheets and I'm tired of trying to guess which one is the most popular. So I figure I'll just make up my own dance and start teaching it...

Check it out and let me know what you think. And please be honest. If it totally stinks or if its difficult to understand...I want to know so I can fix it. THANKS!

Cowboy Riding
    Choreographed by: dancersdreamland
    Description: 32-count, 4-wall, intermediate line dance
    Music: Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) – Big & Rich

Note: Begin with the first beat of music OR after the first 32 counts.

Step (vertical shoulder shimmy* right-left right), Step (vertical shoulder shimmy left-right-left), ¾ paddle turn right, Clap
    1 Step forward right while shrugging right shoulder up (left shoulder shrugs down)
    & Shrug right should down (left shoulder shrugs up)
    2 Shrug right shoulder up (left shoulder shrugs down)
    3 Step forward left while shrugging left shoulder up (right shoulder shrugs down)
    & Shrug left shoulder down (right shoulder shrugs up)
    4 Shrug left shoulder up (right shoulder shrugs down)
    5 Touch right toe to right side and lightly place weight on it as you turn your body ¼ turn to the right and replace weight on left.
    6 Touch right toe to right side and lightly place weight on it as you turn your body ¼ turn to the right and replace weight on left.
    7 Touch right toe to right side and lightly place weight on it as you turn your body ¼ turn to the right and replace weight on left.
    8 Clap

Grapevine, Clap, Body Roll, Body Roll
    1 Step right foot to right side
    2 Cross left foot behind right foot
    3 Step right foot to right side
    4 Touch left foot slightly forward at left diagonal and clap
    5-6 Body roll
    7-8 Body roll

Syncopated step-behind-step, Brush kick ¼ turn left, Syncopated step-lock-step, Pivot ½ turn right
    1 Step left foot to left side
    & Quick step right foot behind left foot
    2 Step left foot to left side
    3 Brush foot backwards, in front of left foot while ¼ turning to left
    4 Kick right leg out to front
    5 Step right to right side while ½ turning to right
    & Quick step left foot behind right foot
    6 Step right foot forward
    7 Step left foot forward while ½ turning to right
    8 Place weight on right foot forward

Scuff hitch step, Swivel ¼ turn right, Chug, Chug, Pivot ½ turn left
    1 Scuff left foot forward
    & Bring left foot to hitch while making small hop on right foot
    2 Place left foot next to right
    3&4 Swivel heels left-right-left while making ¼ turn to right
    5 Chug forward
    6 Chug forward
    7 Step right foot forward while ½ turning to left
    8 Place weight on left foot forward

Repeat

Special Chorus 8-Count
    Insert these additional eight counts to the dance each time the chorus plays. (If you begin the dance at the first beat of music, these steps should be done after patterns 3, 5, and 9. If you begin the dance after the first 32 counts, these steps should be done after patterns 2, 4, and 8.)

Charleston, Side step, Slide
    1 Step right foot forward
    2 Touch left heel forward
    3 Step left foot next to right
    4 Touch right toe backward
    5 Step right foot next to left
    6 Touch left heel forward
    7 Step left foot to left side
    8 Slide right foot next to left (keep wait on left)
    Resume dance with first 8 counts.

*Styling Notes
    For shoulder shimmies to look right, hold arms straight in front of you. Now bend at the elbow so you’re in “touch down” signal. Change straight fingers to fists. While maintaining arm styling, bring elbows to hips. Every time your return to shoulder shimmies, make sure your arms are in this position. Maintain this position for the paddle turn as well.

In the Special Chorus 8-Count you can replace the traditional Charleston with a “mashed potato” or “swivel” Charleston.

4. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

I'm hopfully going to Dallas in September for Dallas Dance and to get some WCS on in yet another state I've never been to.

While I'm there, I'm getting in some siteseeing. My mom is very excited about my going as I might meet a hottie cowboy. And yes, the conversation did turn towards saving horses and riding cowboys. My mom is strange.

5. pygmalion

*giggle* She sounds like fun. I have met a couple cowboys. Nobody I'd call a hottie, yet, though. But there's always hope. :roll: :wink:

6. chandra

chandra New Member

Thats a great song!
    As always things seem to be on the DF, its sorta fitting ;) Seeing as im going next week to junior council at a horse back riding camp =p

ON an on topic note, ive always wanted to learn a line dance. I should get around to it someday... hmmm

7. dancersdreamland

Well...get around to it! :wink: It's so much fun!

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a great song. A lead & I tried to cha cha to it. The song's not exactly for cha cha, but we made it work anyway. :D

9. dnquark

dnquark New Member

In case anyone didn't realize it, this song makes a great polka.

Please carry on.

10. pygmalion

Polka? Really? :D Gotta go find a clip and listen. :car: 8)

11. Medira

Medira New Member

*raises an eyebrow and goes digging for the CD, thoroughly curious*

12. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Yea . . . I gotta go listen to it again.

A polka . . . . hm-m-m-m??? A straight 8 count phrased-beat . . . ???

13. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Hm, interesting. Just gave it another listen, and admittedly, it's a bit slow for polka. But I do remember everyone polkaing to the song and having a good time. Granted, it was 5 AM and I was tired...

(Edit:) It was probably sped up. I just tried listening to it at 20% faster, and polka is very appropriate at that tempo.

(Edit #2:) What's wrong with straight 8-count beat for polka? :)

14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I still haven't got around to it . . .

. . . and a polka, there is nothing wrong with a straight 8-count beat - I think it should be a straight 8 ct beat, yet counted out, it's 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8

15. chandra

chandra New Member

Over my week of horse camp, i got the other councilor to teach me some line dances! woot.
    I learned the watermelon crawl and someothers, the name of which i cant remember.

16. dancersdreamland

How fun! Did you enjoy learning?

17. chandra

chandra New Member

I did!! I went home and downloaded the songs, and hopefully will remember the dances...No one in my town knows any line dancing, so ill have to wait untill i go back to horse camp (i go every weekend) till i can have my poor young failing memory corrected.

18. dancemom

dancemom New Member

I know the song however it's not one of my favorites. Country music is what I listen to the majority of the time...I'd say 85% of the time. Gabe and Angel like it too but don't listen to it as much as I do.