Scholarship costume change?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, May 3, 2011.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok folks, I noticed something more so than ever at Emerald. Although I was in the Bronze Rhythm Scholarship and I used my costume from the single entry rounds (in avatar pic on DF) ....many, and I do mean many, of the ladies changed into "scholarship" costumes. Is this a trend? Am I missing something here? Would love to know the reasoning behind this.
    Chime in...I'm all ears...or is that "all eyes".:rolleyes:
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I change if there is a big time gap and my outfit is sweaty and gross because I am fortunate enought to have a few costumes of each style....but I don't bother if the gap in time is brief
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

It really depends...if I danced well in the morning, I'm not changing, because I want them to remember who they're looking at.
  4. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Many ladies will change if there is a big gap between the singles and the scholarships (as fasc stated, sometimes due to comfort factors). And then again some ladies will change between semis and finals in scholarships. I tend not to, I have other things to focus on between rounds....

It's interesting you found this happening at the bronze level, I have seen it mostly at the higher open levels....
  5. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

I think this is key. It's best to make it as easy as possible for the judges to mark you. If they have already judged you favorably, then making yourself easily recognizable to them makes it easier for them to judge you favorably again.

Changing makes the judges have to work harder. I personally would rather not do that. Unless of course they judged me unfavorably the first time around. Then it might help to have a fresh start. ;)
  6. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

there have been quite a few instances for me where the judging panel is changed between the single dances and the scholaships, which makes the recognition factor kinda' moot.
  7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ohhhh k then. Yes, every pro/am scholarship (not just Rhythm) had 3-4 rounds. Stamina during scholarships at Emerald was the name of the game, and the rounds were split because there were just so many people. A possible long day in one costume. Highly likely - Fas has the winning thought. Thanks all (I'm still not going to bring a second costume for scholarship).
  8. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I have an extra standard dress, and now that I dance standard in the evening session, I'll change for it. Otherwise I won't. Although DOI has a good point about keeping the outfit if you danced really well.
  9. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I am noticing this more and more in the recent competitions I have been to. I have not changed costumes before but I am thinking about doing so in the future. It does mean packing more in the way of costumes, accessories etc, and it also means making sure that make up matches both costumes. Also, how does one decide, with all the beautiful dresses, which one is the "scholarship dress"?
  10. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I have taken my direction from my pro's wife on this. I do tend to get pretty lathered up so changing is more comfortable for me. If there is time, she does suggest I change before the championship rounds, and she gives me her feedback on which dress I should wear. She does my makeup so it suits both costumes, and helps with the accessories where necessary.
  11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

for me, changing is a function of how much I sweated earlier in the day and how gross it would be to get back into the same outfit several hours later.......my pro does have preferences among my gowns and I tend to honor that by wearing the ones he prefers for the scholarships if there is time to change...or to remain in them from the outset if there isn't time to change..as to make up and accessories; I tend to stick with versatile shades and jewelry on days when I think a change of costume might be likely...beyond all of this, I think this is one of those things that gets way too much concern...no one is going to be at a disadvantage for not having a costume change between rounds...at least not unless one of the things they wear is dreadful and the other is awesome...