Swing Discussion Boards > search picture of the deathdrop

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Nov 21, 2004.

1. luh

luh Active Member

Hi
    I'm searching for a picture which shows the deathdrop. I explained it to a friend, but she didn't understand, so I thought, i show her a picture of it.
    luh

EDIT: Mistake in naming the move

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome luh. :) What is the deathtrap?

3. luh

luh Active Member

That is a turn, where the man holds his partner horizontally something around 10 cm, (round about 5 inch) above the floor, and gets her up again. Look kind of nice, and you can do nice things, like stepping over her, and get afterwards into the pan cake or stuff like that.
    and thanks for the welcome, i almost forgot, that was my first post
    :D
    luh

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I've seen some folks out at a social dance doing that move. It is nice. :D I think it's also called a death drop. I googled for clips, but all I could find was videos available for purchase. :( Maybe someone else will have some luck.

And, btw, welcome to the forums. :D

5. luh

luh Active Member

hmm. Death drop? I hope that isn't because it happens so fast that you drop your partner :p
    Yes, I like it very much too. But i'm still just beginner in swing. So i have to learn still a lot.
    luh

6. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

7. luh

luh Active Member

@Flat Shoes: thanks

8. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

No problem, but it was pygmalion coming up with the search criteria.

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Yup, I've always heard that called a death drop as well...

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Does anybody here actually do this move? Tips on how to keep it safe?

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is actually very easy and very fun. The thing for the girl to remember is to keep her body straight and not break or bend. If she bends she breaks the centrifugal force and brings her body inside the circle and will hit the floor with a resounding thud. If she stays straight and keeps her weight pulling out the spin will be much faster and stronger.

12. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Never socially, which means hardly ever. I don't see it as an unsafe move at all, but would never do it on a crowded floor where others might bump into my partner.

Also I don't lover my partner too fast. I think you can do it fast too. But then as part of a choreographed move.

13. tj

tj New Member

It's done really fast, and is certainly not a "Social" move.

And as Larinda said, the Follow really should be careful not to arch her back. I knew a gal who hit her head on the floor because of that.

14. dTas

dTas New Member

i used to do it all the time, socially, back in my wild country western days. but hardly do it anymore these days. most tricks i do now are choreographed and usually involve the my partner going up instead of down.

15. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Apparantly, there are more than one move ending up like that. I learned it as a part of a blues class.

16. tj

tj New Member

Yup - and salsa regularly "borrows" moves from Swing.

In my (limited) experience with the deathdrop, it's really hard to lower her slowly, and quite easy if it's done quickly and both of you know the proper technique.

That being said, I only would try it if/when the physics (and physiques, lol!) seem to be right in addition to technique.

17. SDsalsaguy

Yup, as per Larinda and tj I'd have to say that this is actually one of the easier dips/drops to execute (and well at that) when both parties know the appropriate technique. I'd never use it on a social floor, but it's a cool little trick.

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

hmmmm....

19. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I did that, back when I did C&W. Fun!!! I only had maybe 1 partner I did that with, the only one I trusted enough to fling me around. LOL This was also pre-babies, and I was in better shape (read: about 25 lbs lighter)then. :oops: :lol:

20. SDsalsaguy

:?: :?