Swing Discussion Boards > search picture of the deathdrop

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Doug

Doug New Member

That must be why you don't lover her too fast.....

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Actually, in C&W dancing . . . the first time that I saw this move was in a C&W dance called the Aggie-Swing - where the girls arms get disjointed from the rest of their body! The move comes out of a "pretzel," where the arms are crossed (see photo), and the girl does a dip on her own, but to the floor, with the guy holding her from going "splat." He kinda helps to let her down that low . . .

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It looks like a blast, but I have a real issue with trust. :oops: :lol:

4. motardmom

motardmom New Member

Uh..... disjointed? :? :eyebrow: That doesn't sound fun at all.

It's been so long for me, I can't remember how I ended up in that position anymore, coming out of what move. But I can see how it would work from a pretzel....

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Considering whether I should add it to me repertoire mon ami!

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Does the relative stature of the dropper and droppee figure into it? Or is this one of those moves that's just an illusion?

7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Technique always make a huge difference! That being said, as with any lifts, dips, or drops, the actual bodies do matter...

8. Diavo

Diavo New Member

The move is also in Swingers, done a little slower than maybe some would.
    (It's not hard at all.)

I like the idea of doing this coming out of a pretzel, thanks!

9. genie

genie New Member

No one mentioned keeping the head up! Beginners often throw their head back on any kind of dip - this is a perfect example of a move where you must keep your head in line with your body.

10. Diavo

Diavo New Member

That's indeed a good tip genie! Hopefully her survival instinct kicks and and she automatically keeps her head up! :wink:

11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

well its tough luck if she's got very long arms.

CLUNK!!

OUCH :D :D

12. Swingolder

Swingolder New Member

And how does she get back up?

13. Diavo

Diavo New Member

He'd pull her up

14. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Since this post started I began doing that move at the end of my pretzels with my gf.

The pretzel we do ends with me bending over and doing a 360 to untangle our arms, so then I just let go of my left hand and do another 360 (not as bent over) and we regrip my left hand with hers, crossed, and as soon as I stand straight up she falls.
    When we do it smoothly it's a real surprise for anyone watching. Plus it's fun for us any way.
    To get up I pull her up and make a counterclockwise motion with my hands so that she spins up with a 360. 8)

Also, guys: if you stick your foot out a little she can rest on it, litteraly laying on it as you suspend her. :wink:

15. luh

luh Active Member

This has grown to a big discussion. And it's pretty long ago that i once asked. But since it's still on:

someone mentioned to start that out of the pretzel. because there are crosse arms. i never have crossed arms when i do the pretzel, nor when i do the death drop.

i was used to start this move turning her, that she is standing next to you, facing the same direction, than you do a slight change in holding her hand. lead leans left, and she with him, back, and than you bring her down. and pull her up again.

since i don't dance such a lot of ECS/Jitterbug anymore, - can anyone tell me - is there a good way to get into that one from the lindy? or charleston (sidebyside or tandem).
    luh

16. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

Is the death drop done in ECS? About how advanced do you have to be to learn it? I've been taking lessons since July... do you think I'd be able to handle it? Should I ask my teacher to show it to me?

17. emanuela

emanuela New Member

I've seen it done in a quickstep ... I love quickstep by the way (I just wanted to say that :) ).

18. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've seen it done in salsa.

19. luh

luh Active Member

You're definitely far enough to do this one. It's really easy. Put your partner (if you're the follow), should be a partner you trust! And he should be at least a little strong.
    But in the end: It looks way tougher than it actually is.
    Have fun with it!

I've done the death drop only in ECS till now - but I'm searching as said above for a way to handle it in Lindy hop. - Anyone an idea?

luh

20. Diavo

Diavo New Member

luh,
    Not actually knowing, I wasn't going to post, but just right off the top of my head:

1-2 =Rock-step to pull her in

3 =grab other hands and prep, guy takes a step [hops with his right foot] to his right and turns CCW a little [her feet are nearly together and between his now)

4 =both of guy's feet are firmly planted and she drops (her head at his left side, her feet at his right side for orientation)

5 =she holds the position

6 =guy pulls her up

7&8 = triples or other steps to taste

Think of it as "Rock-step, hop, drop, hold, up, trip-le step" A B B B START L R B A X Y Z R R UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT for Ultimate Kombat Mode! :roll: :wink:

--Diavo