Swing Discussion Boards > search picture of the deathdrop

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by luh, Nov 21, 2004.

1. SwingBean

SwingBean New Member

Here's another picture: http://salsavideoreviews.org/salsamaster/deathdrop1.jpg

Bad form though--her head is arched back and her foot is off the ground. He's got his arms bent at 90 degrees to compensate. I also think it looks better when the guy doesn't look down at the girl but at the audience.

2. breathedance

breathedance New Member

Ahh, this brings back memories. I was trying this about 5 years ago with an inexperienced partner, and practically gave myself a concussion. Talk about a BAAADDD headache!!! :shock: Haven't gotten up the nerve to try it since! :)

3. SwingBean

SwingBean New Member

You can also do this move out of a "leaning tower" without the lean. Guy rolls lady into his R side (his R, her L hand) grabs her other hand and drops her. I find it very fun and have had no accidents (!) but maybe I have short arms. :D

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol:

5. genie

genie New Member

Yes she does.... Swingbean is the the T-Rex of Lindy.

Come on, show em' what you really look like, Swingbean.

6. SwingBean

SwingBean New Member

Are you calling me a dinosaur? :evil:

7. genie

genie New Member

Uh yeah... lindy hop? What is that, 1930's style dancing?

8. SwingBean

SwingBean New Member

So what kind of swing are YOU into? Arthur Murray's East Coast Swing?

9. genie

genie New Member

I never!!!

Nice Tutu, Swingbean.

Kisses,

~genie

p.s. - next time you are in town, let's do a little a lindy hump.

10. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

I tried the death drop on Monday. :D :D :D It was fun. I'm going to ask my instructor to put it in my showcase routine. 8)

11. labelledanseuse

labelledanseuse New Member

What's so bad about east coast swing? :cry: That's what I'm learning now. :?

12. SwingBean

SwingBean New Member

Not a darn thing. Just teasing Genie since I know she's hardcore street Lindy. Enjoy!

13. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Ah, Street Swing -- thee best type! 8)

14. Diavo

Diavo New Member

*bump*

I remember the discussion here about the Death Drop and then the idea of incorporating it at the end of the Pretzel I do. Well! Here's a link to a site that has a vid of a Jam I was in last weekend:
    www.dcswingdancing.com
    Under "Spanish Ballroom Jam - November 19, 2005"
    Click on the pic of "Cat Gill & Dave Voltaggio" [my gf & I!]

The Pretzel comes halfway into the vid [after our patented ;P Neckdrop-Slide], and follows into a Death Drop, then my added Handplant-Kick [cause... a guy's gotta fly too!].

I don't know how long the clip will stay up - could be a week, could be a month... it depends on how frequently Jams are recorded here in DC!

--Diavo B-)

15. Dave

Dave New Member

Nice moves. Maybe I'm just slow, but after 50+ posts, it wasn't until this video clip I was actually sure what move everyone was talking about! (There are two other moves I've heard called a death-drop).

As ever, the UK and USA are two countries separated by a common language...

16. alemana

alemana New Member

my god that floor looked slippery. i was tensing up just watching you guys slide around.

17. Diavo

Diavo New Member

Oh, the camera angle was bad for seing the Death Drop. :-/

@Dave: It's not just a UK to USA thing, I've heard of *several* different names for some of the same moves in the same city!

@alemana: I like a slippery floor. Glen Echo gets dusty because of so much foot traffic in the night. But when it rains the floor gets sticky because people don't change their shoes and so they track in the moisture (on rainy nights I'll wear my sneakers in and change into my wingtips).
    I love slipperiness with leather soles so then I can do extra fun moves/slides/scoots. =) When you see us sliding a little in our footsteps it's actually an incidental style we've created/incorporated. B-)
    And I just make sure I'm planted firmly before doing any aerials on a slippery floor -- it's no problem for me.

Oh, how did I forget? This Death Drop pic was taken sideways of my girl & I back in the summer.
    http://www.geocities.com/CoolestIntentions/swing-50s-2.jpg

--Diavo

18. Dave

Dave New Member

Actually, you can do a nice variation of this move where you intentionally slide the girl along the floor as you bring her upright. (Generally done to slower, smoother styles).

The other variation that tends to impress people is doing it with just the R-R grip (i.e. one-handed). To do that safely you want the girl to be fairly good at holding her own weight though!

19. luh

luh Active Member

let's hope ;) rofl
    luh

20. chandra

chandra New Member

http://usaswingnet.com/MC_Jason&Erica.MPG

Im running on a schedule, so sorry if someone already posted this clip, and sorry if this isnt actually a death mark. The clip is about 19 seconds long, and the drop comes at the very end.

unrelated: Go jason and erica for placing 9th at the OPEN! You guys rock!