Ballroom Dance > Dancing on TV > Season 4 premiere

Discussion in 'Dancing on TV' started by Another Elizabeth, Jan 18, 2007.

1. rainerng

rainerng Member

Apolo Anton Ohno's partner Julianna Hough won the blackpool JUNIOR (not youth) latin in 2002. So out of curiosity, what is the maximum age Julianna can be now?

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Someone recently told me she's 18. I have no verification, tho.

3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Idle speculation on my part, but I would guess the following factors play a role in ABC's desire to re-use the same pros:1) The pros were initially selected in part for their great looks and telegenic qualities. Once you choose the best eye candy you can hire for the money, it makes sense to re-hire them as often as possible.2) Pros start to have their own following and recognizability (Q-factor?) This can only help draw back return viewers.3) As horrible as it is to bring this up, and as much as I'm sure ABC would deny having this as a selection criteria, I'll bet that they try to maintain a balance between pros who will be perceived as "foreign" and pros who will be perceived as all-American (and/or at least immigrants from English speaking parts of the world). I would imagine that the desire to include some "all-American" pros played a role in the selection of Ashly DelGrosso, Julianne Hough, Brian Fortuna. (BTW, I'm *very* excited to see Julianne and Brian this season, and I don't in any way mean to imply that they were only selected because they are American. I think they are very talented. My only point is that I think ABC would be reticent to offer us an entire slate of Eastern European pros with names that people in Peoria find hard to pronounce.) When you look at the celebs, you can tell ABC spends a lot of time thinking about audience demographics.4) Many pros we think would be great on this show are probably not willing to take time out from their competitive careers to do it. If you are a pro who might be cracking into the top tier at Blackpool in the next couple years and that has been your long-term dream, you are probably not going to jeopardize that for a shot at broader fame with American TV audiences. ChaChaMama

4. Laura

Laura New Member

About Julianne's age: Blackpool uses different age groups than the IDSF (in IDSF Youth is 16-18, at Blackpool it's Under 21). So, someone needs to check the age rules and categories for Junior Blackpool and then add 5.

I saw her dance in Youth in the US a few years ago, but I don't recall the year so I can't figure it out from there. She looked great though, very talented and ladylike.

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Speaking of age, how old is Brian? He seems like the youngest one to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he's capable of. ;)

6. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

Junior (as opposed to Juvenile) at Junior Blackpool is 12-15. She won Junior Latin with Mark Ballas in April 2002. I believe it was that year or the next I saw them win at BYU. Which ever year it was...I remember them well. They were incredible!

7. ArtsySalsera

ArtsySalsera New Member

Sorry to take so long getting back but Yes, Brian Fortuna is the guy featured in the picture on this site. Remember, Click the video next to the article to see his interview.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=entertainment&id=5045218

He's 24 or 25 years old.

8. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Julianne's myspace page (profile.myspace.com/3187620) says she's 18.

9. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

He's gotta be in his 20's. So, Julianne is the youngest.

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks! She looks older than him, so I wasn't sure lol. But that's interesting! I'm glad to see the younger dancers on the show. Maybe this will inspire some people to join! ;)

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

every thing you say makes total sense. well thought out. and it is true about certain pros who would not sacrifice a crucial time in their very short career to do this; in fact it is quite amazing that tony and elena mange to do the show and defend their title successfully, with their competitors scrambling to take the title away from them.
    By the way, speaking of that rhythm title, has anyone heard anything about Joanna? Has she been seen practicing with anyone?

12. TUNes2o

TUNes2o New Member

Many of these pros compete 10 to 15 years. So to give up one or two for this kind of publicity, notoriety, and the potential for the really big bucks while still doing what you do and love best is quite incredible. It would cost millions for this kind of exposure.

Right now these pros are the most well known Ballroom dancers in the world. It's great to have the titles, but I think I would skip one or two title tries for a shot on this show.

13. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

you are right, but I don't think they (the competing pros) see that. Many are so caught up in this small world of competitive dance they lose sight of the big world of entertainment out there and what they could achieve if they aimed at it. It's perfectly understandable too if you have thought nothing else for 15 years.

14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

There's a link on Max's forum to an article from the Post in which the producer reveals that the practice time was shortened this season because they want the celebs to look like "fish out of water." More tactics on the part of the show !

15. TUNes2o

TUNes2o New Member

Just got a promo post card from The University Of Notre Dame Great Race XXVII, DanceSport Event. On the postcard is a picture of Tony Dovolani & Elena. It says Come see " Dancing with The Stars Tony Dovolani & Elena Grinko". No mention of their titles at all. So this event seems to place the Dancing With The Stars appearances as equal to or even more enticing to perspective participants than the World titles they now hold.

16. LucyDiamond

LucyDiamond Active Member

Heather Mills will be on Good Morning America tomorrow (3/13) morning.

17. Medira

Medira New Member

Well, DwtS is known to a wider audience. Maybe they're trying to get more people interested?

18. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

Can you give the link please??

19. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

20. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Not surprising considering many of the DWTS audience isn't likley aware of the pro-dancers' various accomplishents. And at the same time, DWTS could be making these pro-dancers much more recognizable, even in the dance community, and perhaps even becoming more of a "star" themselves. Billing them for other events and linking them to DWTS could draw in other people just because they are recognizable from DWTS.