Dancers Anonymous > Secret Facts about DF members

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by leftfeetnyc, May 25, 2005.

1. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Yeah I do that too, and with dishes as well! I like to blame my mom for that lol. I'm not one to put labels on everything though, but my sister does!!! ;)

2. Update: I saw her a few days ago and said just what I said I'd say. She replied, predictably, "oh no you didn't have to it's okay don't worry about it etc." So I'm redeemed. Still, if I get another chance I'll make the offer.

3. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

I am a very odd teenager (as anyone who knows me personally will testify to):

I LOVE classical music
    I play piano, flute, a little bit of guitar, and I sing
    I play Dungeons and Dragons
    I have a love of photography.
    And I keep stealing mum's diet pepsi...:D

4. A kindred soul, Lioness. About 85 years ago when I was a teenager I was also an odd duck. When my buddies worshiped at the alter of AC/DC and their ilk, I was discovering Aaron Copland and Miles Davis. I played piano and - how's this for uncool? - tuba. A 45-lb brass instrument - I called it my heavy metal. Also played trombone and fluglehorn at times.

I wasn't into D&D but you couldn't keep me away from a chess board. Didn't steal mum's Pepsi, but I stoled some of Dad's beer.

In my experience, L, people off the mainstream are far more interesting, and usually more successful, than your typical mass-produced teenage factory product. Celebrate your oddness and run with it, and don't let anyone turn you back.

5. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Amen P&B! Oddness was p(and still is) practically my middle name! I bet I would've loved to hang out with you in high school. Like one of my favorite beers (Sweetwater 420) says on the label, "Don't float the mainstream" :D

In my teen years, I was a teenage prog/fusion geek just getting into Miles too.

6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Lioness, I echo everyone else's sentiments...in the end nerds rule the world ;)

both of my kids were/are band geeks, prefer to listen to jazz, have been inside the rare book room at the museum, are the only kids who raise their hands in class and both felt very alien until we found them a school with like-minded peers....you are precious and gifted ....

7. latingal

latingal Well-Known Member

*grin* okay, so what happened it my case? I'm so uncool I should have a new classification. LOL!

8. Here's my theory. The true pinnacle of coolness is when you are cool to such an advanced degree that run-of-the-mill cooldom can't even comprehend your coolness.

Think about this: fashion trends seem to recycle roughly every twenty years, so those very few of us who have achieved the Platonic ideal, the theoretical physical limit, who are the Higgs Boson shall we say, of coolness, may seem to be fifteen years behind the current style, but really we're five years ahead.

9. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I guess that's the benefit of coming from a small school is that everyone gets to do everything. In fact, half the football team was in band etc. So, it actually made it a very small band during game time lol.

I did just about everything. Although, I was one of the few that actually went onto music school. And I graduated in computers (even though I didn't raise my hand in high school, I made a much better college student), and yes I learned how to play chess... even owned a fancy chess set. So, maybe I was a true geek at heart. Oh well. I'm proud of it! ;)

10. fascination

p and b....your posts make my day

11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol...sweetie, you're an elite-level latin dancer. i mean...what is cooler than that?

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I agree! I wish I could dance Latin like that! ;)

13. True dat, man. Hey, let me see if I can get my big brother to buy us a six pack. We'll put some Fusion in the 8-track and drive around in my '68 Ford Falcon. Maybe try to talk to some girls at the bowling alley.

BTW, I'll have to try some of that Sweetwater. If you ever get to Minneapolis try to get your mitts around a Surly Furious, and make sure you're sitting down.

14. You reading them - that makes my day.

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

secret fact... i generally enjoy the special features on DVDs at least as much as the film itself. i also frequently watch them all first (commentaries excluded).

16. JEM

JEM New Member

If I see someone carrying a book, I'll do all I can to catch the title - I love to read, and always wondering what someone else is reading.

17. fascination

I get strange joy from painting and raking

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

if you're talking painting houses...then i'm right there with you. using an old-fashioned "snickety-snickety" push-mower is also oddly satisfying.

19. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I do too! My favorite was Shall We Dance. I watched the features etc. as much as I did the movie!!!! I also like the commentaries gotta say. Sometimes they'll tell a secret about someone that was never said before lol. ;)

20. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I'm so there with ya. I LOVE the 'the making of' extras on dvds.