Tango Argentino > "secrets" to mastering advanced movements?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by larrynla, May 19, 2009.

1. bastet

bastet Active Member

agreed. this is something a couple of guys I dnace with can do, most often it is my other half that will do something like this but he doesn't use it all that much. It takes skill on both parts the lead and the follow, IMO.

2. Angel HI

Angel HI Well-Known Member

Welcome to the DF, Anda

Nice introductory post.

Though I'm sure some will, but to argue that a volcada is not a led movement is ridiculous.

3. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Personally, I've been trying to figure out how volcadas could be anything other than led/followed moves. (Although some here seem to have experience with auto-volcadas.)

I mean...how does a girl take herself off her axis into a volcada...the guy is in the way...???

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I'm no good at all with following (and some say the same about my leading), so I can't explain it. To be honest, if the follower who was doing it with me, hadn't just old me about her volcadas class, I might not have known what she was doing at all. She definitely was able to get the leg motion going, and then I'd have to abort whatever I was trying to do, to try to accommodate her. She was just so excited about being able to do them, that I couldn't get too annoyed (like I usually do) when a follower is ignoring my mediocre leads.

5. Peaches

Aww, that's sweet of you.

I just can't wrap my head around how it physically happens. I mean, either you're sharing an axis to begin with, so she's got to be just flailing her leg around under her some...or you're not sharing an axis, in which case your feet are typically closer together...so how does she do it?

There's an evil little part of me that wants to try this sometime.

Then again, there's a guy I know who leads volcada-ish things beautifully (as in, there is no way you can *not* do what he wants you to), but it feels like I never come off my axis. Very interesting. I wonder if part of it is because he's so tall, that the geometry just makes it feel that way. I wonder if there's some sort of link between the two things.

*...still scratching head...*

6. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

For example, he leads a step (follower's forward step, side step, molinete), she does not follow for whatever reason (unclear lead, lack of technique, anticipation, poor connection etc, etc), does not change her weight from one foot to another, and goes off the axis, into a volcada instead.

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

It was a shared axis, if that helps. Also, I'm quite a bit taller than the follower. I might have been taking a back step on some of them, but I'm really not sure what I was doing, because my mind kept getting filled with WTFs, and I'd lose my train of thought.

8. Peaches

Ohhhhh... Thank you for that explanation.

Huh. I wonder why the response is to volcada, instead of just taking a step. Albeit late. Unless, I guess, she just wants to do a volcada. Huh. Seems to me that if she didn't follow that forward step it'd feel an awful lot like falling. I was always told that chances are, if I felt like I had to either take a step or fall...it was because I was supposed to take that step.

9. Lilly_of_the_valley

Lilly_of_the_valley Well-Known Member

Some just don't know how it is supposed to feel when done the right way. Some do not care. They just want to do the "cool" stuff.
    As mentioned above, there are followers who believe it is OK to throw themselves into un-led dips head first and without a safety net.
    Have you ever tried to lead random people?

10. bastet

bastet Active Member

yeah- I've seen that happen. Could be a problem on both partners part (and I usually assume a little of both). A follow mistakes a lead for a forward step on her part (back step for the leader) as a volcada.

11. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I've suggested before that the woman can "ask" or "suggest" a volcada by 1) maintaining and "axis", or straightline while 2) clearly NOT taking a step (the foot/leg can move forward, but is not "planted").
    The time interval will be in fractions of a second, and her axis will go from near vertical to some other angle that is approaching hortizontal (but FAR from it!).

If the leader is tuned in he will realize what is happening, and make adjustments for the fact that he is getting a different response than what he expected.
    If he doesn't, the woman will have to take that step.

It's interesting to note that when you "fall", the closer you are to the ground to begin with, the faster your angle away from the vertical will increase.

Worked with an older couple who are now teaching dance in a very small town east of here in the Columbia Gorge, passing on to them the mechanics and techinques that I learned from Alex Krebs to do a gancho during a molinete. Lots of people have shown them how to do various ganchos, but not the kind that involves interupting the woman's movement. (And I was able to dance the woman's part!)