Dancers Anonymous > Seen Any Good Movies Lately?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Oct 19, 2003.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I kinda figured that.. and, looks like its going to be a great franchise . Luv the comedy aspect..

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Yes. She played a wide variety of roles. Other movies of hers I like are Dark Victory, Mr. Skeffington, The Letter, and A Stolen Life. Probably Dark victory is my second favorite movie of hers after Now Voyager. I just saw The Nanny recently on TCM.

3. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

La La Land, very fun and enjoyable, great music and choreography, and a somewhat believable story.

Arrival - Saw this on a recent plane flight, very deep and thought provoking without being pointlessly abstract or pretentious. Refreshing to see aliens portrayed as benevolent for a change. Begged one huge question, if we are able to see the possible outcome of every choice we make, would we still make the same ones?

j_alexandra and Purr like this.
  4. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Well-Known Member

Loved it!!!

Purr likes this.
  5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

The Mountain Between Us

Trekking through snow covered mountains, something I've done more than once (but not in survival mode!) is what drew me into this, but I'm at a loss to remember the last time I've become so invested in two characters, hanging on every next development and, by the last third of the film, every spoken word.

j_alexandra likes this.
  6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I saw Blade Runner 2049 Saturday night at the local AMC. The movie was shown in the large IMAX theater, and most of the seats were empty. I've heard the movie has only grossed around $60 million so far, against a $150 million production budget.

I liked the movie, but I didn't love it. If I were giving stars, I'd give it 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the performances by Ryan Gosling, Harrison Ford and Robin Wright, as well as the actresses' performances for the characters of Joi and Luv. I didn't care that much for Jared Leto's performance, and I thought his character in the context of the storyline was odd.

The depiction of the stark futuristic landscapes was a high point, worthy of an Academy Award nomination. That being said, the movie dwelled for long moments on the landscape for no apparent purpose than showing how great it was. The overall storyline was good, but the pace of the movie was too slow. And, the movie is entirely too long. I didn't like the harsh, loud soundtrack, either.

So, I hope this is helpful. Oh, the movie left open all kinds of possibilities for a sequel, which will probably happen if this movie manages to turn a profit. Happy movie watching!

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There's always the Asian market!

8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

The movie might do well on the international market. It just doesn't seem to be a blockbuster here in the U.S.

9. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. This is actually consistent with some comments I saw on FB from one of my friends - near empty theater, loud soundtrack. I don't think she liked it as much (felt the plot was thin, drawn out, over-reliance on the visual "wow" factor). I think I will see it eventually now that I know what to expect, probably be in the comfort of my living room as I'm not big on the actual movie theater experience. Though the mostly empty theater would definitely be a plus (l'enfer, c'est les autres).

10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'd wait until it hits the second run theaters, which will probably be quickly. It was weird seeing the movie in a nearly empty theater; that isn't my preference. I saw another movie recently in a nearly empty theater, maybe 7 or 8 people total. One guy sitting alone was giving off bad vibes and creeping me out; eventually I moved to another seat away from him and close to the exit. He was apparently harmless, at least that day, but feeling scared wasn't good. I'd much prefer more people around.

IndyLady likes this.
  11. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

The Last Jedi

Some fans of the series seem to not really be liking it, but I honestly thought it was the best one in years. It was unpredictable, fresh, and full of action. Some character arcs I would have seen done a little differently but I still enjoyed it very much.