Dance Ads > Selling my stunning black baby after blackpool

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by Katarzyna, May 12, 2008.

1. Watching the pro standard final at Desert Classic, didn't see a single cake-style dress on the floor ... was wondering if that was a sign or just a coincidence?

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

US is behind the styles.. pro field seems more independent of trends usually it seems

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

whenever i wore kat's black beauty, people wanted to know who made it, etc... to the eyes of a lot of US dancers, the style appears to be fresh & appealing rather than stale.

4. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I think it also depends on color. I like black but pink just looks like a huge cupcake. When we were at millennium, Elle Dance Studio had one that was red with animal print. As gaudy as this may sound, it was absolutely stunning.

5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

yes Alessia & Sylvia started this trend. However remembered there was a silver cupcake dress Alessia had was reviewed by Dancebeat as "one of the worst dress" and I recall the reviewer said in his article something like "can't believe a champion wears a dress of such poor taste"...

I do like the simple non cupcake dress Alessia worn at this year's Blackpool much more...

6. Standarddancer

Here, I believe this is the silver dress one of the Dancebeat reviewer rated as "worst dress he's ever seen a champion has worn"...such a shame I forgot the reviewer's name.

alessia silver cupcake.jpg

7. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Whether you like the dress or you don't, it's still memorable and isn't the whole idea of competing to stand out from the crowd?

And, maybe in your opinion, it's standing out in a bad way. Ask yourself this, how many months ago was Blackpool and you still remember the dress? I think this woman has done her job correctly. :uplaugh:

8. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Was it the "cupcake" design that was disliked by the reviewer or was it the many different fabrics/patterns happening on one dress? While I'm not a huge fan of lots of ruffles/tiers, when done tastefully, it is nice on certain people. This one, IMO, is not one of those...

And yes, it is memorable ;)

9. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

In general, I really don't like the cupcake look. But I have to admit, this black dress is very pretty, and definitely elegant.

10. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of the cupcake dress, but I actually do like that one that's worst ever!:)

11. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

As outrageous as the silver dress is I loved Alessia's pink cupcake dress. We used the idea for Abby's fuschia dress and although I know lots of people weren't crazy about it, it worked well for her.

Attached Files:

12. Standarddancer

I don't recall that reviewer specify the exact reason he disliked this silver cupcake dress. IMHO it was definitely stands out in such a bad way - and it was more memorable since worn by a champion. Guess if it's an avearge skilled dancer with this dress instead World Champion, this terrible dress could been destructive to that couple's marks.

13. Standarddancer

Pink a lot better than that silver. The contrast pink color of Abby's dress is nicely designed.

14. Standarddancer

I also personally don't like dresses with too much ruffles and tiers, I agree with njdancegirl mentioned in her early post, when designed smartly and tastefully, it's nice on certain people.

I don't think this style is flattering if the dancer is a little bit "bottom heavy" since the huge ruffles will only make hip area bigger. This style is more flattering on someone super skinny and wants to add some "volumn".

15. latervet1

latervet1 Member

kat- would you be willing to ship it out to be tried on. No chance i will ever be in your neck of the woods.
    latervet1

16. Katarzyna

i do tryons if they are within the US. if you are seriously intersted, let me know

17. Kitty

Kitty New Member

haha me too

18. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Yay! Someone shares my bad taste!:D:p

19. latervet1

latervet1 Member

never mind about the try on- showed it to my instructor. he doesnt think i can pull the skirt off just yet. not enough movement to my dancing yet. he thought you looked great in it tho.

20. Katarzyna

thank you