Event Announcements > Seventh Annual Boston University Terrier Dancesport Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by BM, May 3, 2007.

1. BM

BM New Member

We will not be hosting preliminaries one day and finals another. Even though most of our competitors are from the New England area, I would like to expand our competitor pool a bit. :)

2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

These weren't different day preliminaries, they basically amounted to a two dance first round for events in which all five (four) dances were then offered as individual events in subsequent rounds. So the qualifiers preceded the events by the usual inter-round time of an hour or so.

My point was that driving a long way and barely getting on the floor isn't fun, regardless of why it happens. Things that within reason can increase the amount of time on the floor from for example 3 minutes for two dances, to maybe 8 minutes for a full round, or 15 minutes for full rounds of two levels, make the comparison to four hours each way in the car a bit more worthwhile.

Never heard of any ordinary regional-scope competition doing preliminaries on a different day from finals.

3. BM

BM New Member

Have finally decided on a schedule for the comp! We'll be posting the latest schedule on the website soon, but here's the advance notice for the DFers. Plan accordingly! :)

Saturday
    8.00am . . . Closed Standard
    1.30pm . . . Closed Latin
    7.00pm . . . Show (TBA)
    7.30pm . . . Fun Dance (TBA)
    8.00pm . . . Championship Events
    9.00pm . . . Goodnight

Sunday
    8.00am . . . Closed Smooth
    1.00pm . . . Fun Dance (TBA)
    1.30pm . . . Closed Rhythm
    6.45pm . . . Formation Event
    7.15pm . . . Novice Events
    9.15pm . . . Goodnight

I'll let you in on the news as I have clearance to share it!

4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Boooooooo! Standard/Smooth syllabus dancers have to wake up at the crack of whatever on BOTH days? :rolleyes:
    :kissme:

5. BM

BM New Member

Next year they'll get to sleep in. ;)

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Somebody's gotta do it!

7. BM

BM New Member

And long, long ago, I came to terms with the fact that no matter how hard I try, I can't please everyone. :rolleyes:

8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I know, but but but.... BOTH days? :rolleyes:
    I assume American and International styles were purposely kept together, or was it luck of the draw? Are you planning on posting approximate event times, so that, for instance, a Gold level Standard/Smooth dancer can safely assume s/he does not need to be ready at 8 am?

9. BM

BM New Member

Is that a hint, and123? ;)

I don't have them for specific events yet. I'll definitely try to procure them once we've closed registration (don't panic, we haven't even opened it yet!).

I wanted to try and keep events together based on American v. Int'l for 9- and 10-dance competitors who would only want to compete for one day. Since it's our first two-day competition, a lot of stuff is experimental. If it works this year, we won't try and fix it next year. If it doesn't go over so well, we'll try something else for 2009.

So, be sure to provide me with oodles and oodles of useful feedback!!

10. BM

BM New Member

Schedule

Hopefully this is the last major change . . .

We'll be switching Closed Rhythm & Smooth on Sunday. The revised schedule is as follows:

Saturday
    8.00AM Closed Standard
    1.30PM Closed Latin
    7.00PM Show (TBA)
    7.30PM Fun Dance (TBA)
    7.45PM Championship Events
    8.45PM Goodnight

Sunday
    8.00AM Closed Rhythm
    1.15PM Fun Dance (TBA)
    1.30PM Closed Smooth
    6.30PM Formation Event
    7.00PM Novice Events
    8.15PM Goodnight

Happy, and123? :friend:

11. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

hah! You just killed my prospects. Put it back the other way!

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I wuv youuuu :cool:

Of course, this is assuming I still have a partner then :-|. He's currently job searching and I'm trying to drop Godzilla-sized hints for him to please accept one in this area :p

13. BM

BM New Member

:doh::doh::doh:

There were greater forces than and123's sleep schedule involved in the change, unfortunately. Can't you come pretty pleeeease? It would be so very wonderful! ::feels like the six-year-old trying to get friends to come to a birthday party::

14. mamboqueen

It's okay; I'm not complaining. My partner is from out of state; I'm not sure he could handle 8:00 a.m. (although .... what time do you think silver would be?). If I can't compete, I'd love to come spectate.

15. BM

BM New Member

Would have to talk to NielsenE about that and/or wait until registration opened, but I would assume not before 9.00am. Depends on how many preliminary rounds for Pre-Bronze and Bronze before they even out with Silver preliminaries in regards to number of heats . . . (so get a lot of Pre-Bronze and Bronze Rhythm folks competing!!)

I have very high hopes for this competition. I'm guessing that I won't be NEARLY as stressed this year as I was last year, so with any luck I'll have time to enjoy my work this year. :)

16. mamboqueen

Well, I hope it goes smoothly for you. You seem to have put a lot of work into it. I will speak to my partner on Friday night. He may just bust a gut when I tell him the time, though.

17. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I'll dance Rhythm with ya, MQ! :cool:

18. BM

BM New Member

Then you'd STILL have to wake up early. :p

If it makes you feel any better, I have to be up early both days, regardless of who's dancing first. Thankfully I have some very, VERY good friends at Starbucks!

19. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

can you get said friends to provide tasty beverages for the scrutineer ?

20. CT Ballroom

CT Ballroom Member

hey now, don't forget your friendly Music Man in that java order there... something like a nice double carmel mocha thingie extra grande :)