Event Announcements > Seventh Annual Boston University Terrier Dancesport Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by BM, May 3, 2007.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Sounds good. When do we start practicing??? :p

2. BM

BM New Member

Oooh, what have I done . . . what's wrong with our lovely catering (that will be well tracked this time)?? ;)

3. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

The lunch vouchers have been fine, but I don't recall every seeing anything in the morning. perhaps because as scrutineer I don't tend to have time to escape to whereever you had the breakfasty type food setup for the adjudicators and head table staff... of course I normally bring my own supply of liquid caffeine ... 2 - 24 oz bottles of Mt Dew....

4. BM

BM New Member

Since I'm not planning on competing in the morning, I may be able to do some food-fetching for officials this year. The issue with last year was that the caterers set up in an adjoining room (that we hadn't booked), so we were all caffeine-free for far too long . . .

5. BM

BM New Member

6. BM

BM New Member

BU Ballroom is proud to announce that the Terrier Dancesport will be hosting a professional performance by Jose DeCamps & Joanna Zacharewicz, current World Rhythm & Mambo Champions!!

The performance will take place Saturday evening at 7.00PM. Admission is included in competitors' registration fees. Ticket prices for additional spectators to be announced by the end of the week.

7. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

Congratulations BM! I know you worked very hard to get them here...can't wait to see them! :)

8. Angelo

Angelo Member

Are the posted registration fees per person, per event, or per couple?

9. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I'll jump in here even though I'm not affiliated with BU :cool:. Fees are per person, for as many events as you are allowed under the rules of the comp. Some comps allow you to dance 2 levels for an additional fee; BU is allowing syllabus dancers to also dance Novice, or dance up a level if a dance is not offered at their level (i.e. you can dance Silver Int W,Q,T,F and Gold VW since VW is not offered in Silver).

10. Angelo

Angelo Member

Much obliged ma'am :cowboy:

11. BM

BM New Member

Thanks, and123! That's all correct. :)

Registration closes February 8th, so hop to it!

12. BM

BM New Member

Eligibility Revision

We are changing the eligibility rules for Novice! The rule is now as follows:

"Novice is the ONLY level in which syllabus competitors may double-register. It is open to all syllabus competitors. In addition, competitors who have competed at the Open level for NO MORE than a semester, or for a total of five competitions or less, may register for Novice but NOT Championship for that style."

We'll be making the change to the website soon.

13. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

America's Ballroom Challenge - Pro Rhythm

For those who have never seen Jose and Joanna before, you can see them compete and perform tonight @ 8PM on America's Ballroom Challenge! Check your local listings.

14. BM

BM New Member

15. BM

BM New Member

Yaaaaay semi-final for Champ Latin! :banana:

16. BM

BM New Member

Reflections

Thank you to everyone who helped make the Terrier Dancesport a success this year! Special thanks to all the officials, volunteers, and the friends who provided so much support along the way.

Things were tricky this year because the competition encompassed a full weekend for the first time. I personally learned a lot from the experience, some of which I'd like to address.

Regarding preparation: get things done early, and check back on them often. A lot of paperwork that could have been finished months prior to the event was not completed until only weeks before, creating more stress than needed. Had we opened registration sooner, we may have attracted more competitors and had a busier weekend.

Double-, triple-, and quadruple-check scheduling. We ran a good hour and a half to two hours ahead of schedule for most of the weekend because we anticipated more competitors than we received. If we started a bit (read: a lot) later, we would not have had so much "free time." On that note . . .

Better to finish a session early and have a break before the next, rather than drag it out with general dancing and fun dances. That being said,

Keep everyone as informed as possible. Many competitors did not get the announcement about the competition beginning an hour later the following day, which resulted in a lot of confusion and disgruntled competitors. For this I personally would like to apologise. Hopefully we won't have to make such a change next year, but should we find ourselves in the position again, we will take better measures in keeping everyone informed.

As cheesy as it may sound, remember to enjoy yourself. I was as relaxed as I could hope to be all weekend. I think a large part of that was that I realised that I do this (competing, performing, event planning, etc.) because it's fun. As the competition date drew nearer, people kept trying to console me with, "It'll all be over soon." True, but I did not want to finish the competition and tell myself "good riddance." I wanted to be able to sit back after the fact and say, "That was kind of fun. I'd like to do it again some time." As I sat down in Metcalf on Sunday evening after cleaning up and uninstalling the floor, I looked around, smiled to myself, and thought exactly that.

17. BM

BM New Member

Feedback

And of course, all constructive feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

18. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Above all, bravo for keeping your cool throughout the whole thing (as far as I could tell, anyway :p).

19. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Suggestions:

Try to avoid scheduling 3 sessions a day, unless you have a very consistent schedule year to year. For instance, had BU advertised:
    Sat AM: Syllabus Standard
    Sat PM: CHampionship/Show/Syllabu Latin

Sun AM: Syllabus Smooth
    Sun PM: Novice/Formation/Syllabus RHythm

Then there would have been only two hard-fast times to stick to throughout te day, without needing to kill 2 hours between published start times 2 times a day. This would require putting championship and shows in the middle of the day however....

Alternatively don't seperate the Novice/Formation team to sunday night, move them to saturday, so you have 1 three session day and 1 two session day (besides people will want to leave early on sunday to get home/ready for the work week, if at all possible

I also support running through the session as efficiently as possible, giving out the awards, and then running whatever extra fun dances/general dances are needed to fill out the time, after very publicly announcing when the competitive events will re-convene.

I might be a little old-fashioned about this, but I really like to see the runners in nicer clothes than sweats.... Don't know if the judges really care though

The whole "return your numbers between days thing".... stupid Sounds like I heard of more numbers lost that were returned to the desk, then I hear about at other two day comps that trust people to get their own numbers across the days...

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had signed up for Novice events on Sunday PM, but upon realizing we'd have to wait several hours, and figuring people might not even show up (a correct assumption), we left.

I agree that runners should look more presentable, but perhaps beggars can't be choosers? I don't know how many helpers were available. The fact that BM was begging for help setting up the floor made me concerned that too few people were doing too many things. But the comp ran smoothly, aside from having to fill time.

um, NielsenE? When are more results going to be loaded into the system? I'm sure there are people who have pointed out in the last few comps, but it's not showing up.