Event Announcements > Seventh Annual Boston University Terrier Dancesport Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by BM, Jun 17, 2007.

1. BM

BM New Member

(Figured if Eastern Dancesport Championships can go up months in advance, so can this :p)

February 16 & 17, 2008
    Metcalf Hall, George Sherman Union
    775 Commonwealth Avenue
    Boston, MA 02215

Saturday performance! . . . To be announced later.

We will be featuring American and International events at the Newcomer, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Novice, and Open levels, as well as a formation team competition. Below is the tentative order of events:
    Saturday
    International Standard
    Performance
    International Latin

Sunday
    American Smooth
    Formation Competition
    American Rhythm

The competition website is here (undergoing some revamping): http://people.bu.edu/ballroom/comp08.htm

Feel free to post questions, comments, ideas, etcetera here. Alternatively, PM me or refer to the contacts page on the website. I will post additional information as I receive it, and hope to see you all there!

2. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

So concerning you're level spanning rules, does Novice count?

Ie, RIDancer and I would be entering Open Smooth and most likely Gold Latin/Rhythm/Standard. Would that be legit or is Novice an intervening level for you rules purposes and thus in violation of your two level span policy?

Your rules on double registering are slightly confusing. Can a first semester open couple do both Open and Novice? or is the double registration for Novice only allowed for Gold+Novice

3. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

My interpretation is that if you've only competed in Open for one semester or less, you can dance "down" into Novice, but not if you're also dancing Open at the same time. Sounds like only syllabus competitors (Bronze/Silver/Gold) can double register for Novice. I think this is the first time I've ever seem Novice American events offered at a collegiate event. I'm not sure if Novice factors into the level-spanning rule either.

Hey, is BU going to offer a really deep discount for wicked early registration? :p

4. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

BU's been offering Novice for the past 2-3 years in the international styles. Since they are growing to two days, they can afford to add it in the american styles. The rules have morphed slightly each year.... whether thats due to differences in opinions of the governing body, or simply different attempts to express the same rule better, I'm not sure...

In the past years they had an explicit note that "Novice and Championship" in the same style was dis-allowed. This year there is no such note. I believe that that it is still not allowed, but wanted to make sure. If we can understand the exact intent of the rules we might be able to recommend adjustments to the wording or examples to help make sure other people don't have similar questions closer to the actual competition :)

5. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the floor will be larger and have a better surface than previous years....can you confirm this BM?

6. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

On a related (yet somewhat Hi-jacking note...... sorry BM! I mentioned this here only because BU is one of the comps I am referring to)..... A few collegiate comps in this area used to hold team matches at their competitions.... Now it seems like they've abandoned that idea (except for the rookie team match at Brown and the Rookie-Vet at Harvard Beg.). Is there a reason why these comps seem to be ditching that idea and embracing the formation team matches instead? While I think the idea of a formation team match is great, it also severely limits competitor participation in that event. Most competitors are not part of formation teams. Many collegiate teams out there do not have the resources or man-power to put together a formation piece for that type of event.

Am I the only one who is disappointed in the recent disappearance of traditional Team Matches at College Comps?

7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think a lot of them were nixed for time-saving purposes...

8. BM

BM New Member

Novice will still be a "wildcard" level. Your situation (Open Smooth and Gold Latin/Rhythm Standard) would be perfectly legitimate - and good luck with the 19-dance! :)

Indeed, two Open choreography events in the same style is prohibitted. If you've been competing at an Open level for a semester or less, you may dance "down" to Novice.

By all means, feel free to offer thoughts and suggestions! Trying to make those rules clear is difficult for me . . . :p

9. BM

BM New Member

We're definitely going to try to work in an early registration discount (if we can get our act together). "Wicked Early Registration" may have to wait until BU Comp 2009. ;)

10. BM

BM New Member

Tentative yes on that. We're going to try to go to a different company for our floor this year (Please feel free to share any info you may have on that, guys!). As for size, we're going to try to increase the size as much as possible. We're looking to completely re-do the layout of the room, and once I can get into the venue, I'll try to get some measurements so I can provide some potential dimensions for y'all. :)

11. BM

BM New Member

Unfortunately, aside from Harvard Beginners' and Brown, the team matches were before I even knew that ballroom was still a social/competitive activity. I know that BU used to have team matches, and I think that Joe is right that it was probably nixed to save time (will have to double-check with the team guru). We may look into re-adding it for 2009 . . . ? We don't want to add too much stuff this year only to run horribly overtime and end up bankrupt. ;)

12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Just personal observation/experience, but the team matches generally tend to favor the gigantic teams versus the smaller ones unless they are really restrictive as to how many people participate and who dances what with whom. The random fun dances seem more in the spirit of collegiate comps - i.e. grab a partner and try to make it work. JMHO. If you want to do a RANDOM team match, hmmm..... gather everyone on to the floor who wants to do a random dance, split the floor in half or quarters, and *presto* instant random teams of dancers. Now *that* could be interesting.

13. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I agree, I'd rather see fun dances than team matches. Team matches do tend to favor the large teams. However if you do have a team match, please skip the stupid 5-10 minute "march" on.... its just a waste of time and goofy

14. BM

BM New Member

For fun dances, do participants prefer spur of the moment "events," "events" that are announced far in advance (to allow for preparation of something delightfully outrageous), or a mix? My concern with announcing a specific fun dance far in advance is that if the competition is running behind/late, there is a possibility that we won't have time for the scheduled fun dance . . .

15. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I prefer a mix of "mystery" (ie non-pre-announced) and pre-announced.. Pre-announced tend to be best when its
    Rookie-Vet, Reverse Role, or Same Sex events

mystery ones tend to be more fun when its something like variable speed, simon-says, weird dance combincations (like Stony Brooks Vinero (VW/Bolero cross fades))

Please don't do what Holy Cross has been doing lately and piling way too many modifiers on a dance "Reverse Role, Counter-line of Dance, Off Time, Variable Speed Tango" just stops being fun......

16. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Keep it as "fun dances will be run as time permits". I'd rather the comp run on time. If you want to promote something exceptionally bizarre, advanced notice is reasonable (maybe a week or two before the comp). There's something to be said for spontaneity. Formations could be fabulous, but I fear there wouldn't be enough to make it a real contest. Give everyone a year's notice, perhaps, to get their respective acts together for such a thing. Like many have said, few teams have the manpower/resources to deal with things like formations, so those that do will have a huge advantage. Maybe some mixing amongst various team members would be possible with enough prior notice. Or restrict it to a certain theme or song or genre. "This is your music.... show us what ya got" a la SYTYCD. Dunno :confused: