Tango Argentino > Sex at the Milongas

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Reminds me of that Lindsay Lohan movie where she loses her "luck" and then has to go around and kiss a load of good looking guys to try and get it back. Hopefully you did the decent thing at the end of the evening then ... :p

2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I've seen plenty of waltzes that I thought looked good, but none were sexy.

3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Waltz also banned for a time for being too risque? As I recall, the issue was that women were always swooning (combination of turning and the lack of oxygen due to exerting oneself while corseted) Having women fainting in men's arms was considered pretty sexy.

4. Zoopsia59

Bwa Ha ha!!!!

5. larrynla

larrynla Member

You are judging sexiness from the outside, from a spectator's view.

A couple, once in an embrace, would judge sexiness more from how the other feels and smells, from subtle secret touches you cannot see. From how the other moves, firm but not violent leads, responsive following that makes it seem she reads your mind.

Laer Carroll

6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

.. there must be a parallel thing with the Quebradas. But I´m not sure and no one could help me with this question :(
    http://www.dance-forums.com/showthread.php?t=32365

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Member

Back in the day when I still thought that actually meant anything, I would try to dance Tangos and Rumbas with the ladies I was attracted to, those are, in my opinion, the dance styles with the highest potential for being sexy, sultry and 'steamy'.

Waltz being the most 'romantic'.
    (well, theoretically, see 'Back in the day' above...)

I never got the 'sexy' vibe from Salsa, it always seemed much more like a party dance to me, you know, woohoo, funny hats, confetti, paper trumpets 'n' stuff.

Samba, on the other hand, can be sexy if both know what they're doing ( good luck trying to find someone who does...) [i\]and[/i] both have the cardio to keep it up and be sexy at the same time.
    Quite the challenge in Samba.

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about looks, so yes, it is from the spectator's point of view.

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

argh; a glimpse of stocking was looked upon as something shocking, now heaven knows, anything goes.

10. Zoopsia59

I agree. Deciding as a viewer that something looks sexy is just as real and legitimate as deciding as a participant that it FEELS sexy. Its just an opinion after all. Viewers can have opinions. Deciding that the participants are feeling aroused based on viewing may be off-base, but deciding that you think it looks (or doesn't look) sexy is valid.

Certainly a many cultures base a great deal on things LOOKING sexy, attractive, alluring, provocative, etc.... Humans are pretty visual creatures.

11. jantango

jantango Active Member

Tango foreplay in the milonga

What have you heard? It's probably all true.

When a woman is interested in something more with a dance partner in the milonga, there are things she can do with her body to let him know. For example, putting her left hand on the back of his neck, whispering in his ear while they are dancing, or embracing him very firmly.

When a man is interested in something more with a woman (which is usually the case), he can test the waters if she hasn't responded verbally to his invitation.

1. While dancing, ask her if she would like to leave to have a coffee?
    2. Nibble on her earlobe (when no one else will notice, of course).
    3. Give her two squeezes with your embrace on the last two beats of the tango.

Improvise . . . it's all foreplay in the milonga.

12. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

Jan you forgot a very subtle one.
    The woman sticks her tongue in his ear……….. jajajajaja

13. Me

Me New Member

Every time I see this topic bumped I find myself thinking, "Sex? Milongas? Sweeeet. Where do I sign up?"
    :bouncy:

14. Zoopsia59

Apparently you don't need to sign up... just stick your tongue in your partner's ear...;)

15. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

From here I understand that:

I like the instructions though... :)

16. Me

Me New Member

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

17. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Usually we read or hear that tango had its origin in the whorehouses. Nothing is more absurd and incorrect. First, there were no musicians working at brothels. Only at some places in the provinces there were locals that, under the appearance of dance halls, provided the double service and there not only tango was played, but also polkas, milongas, cifras, waltzes and any tune that would cheer the ambience. In Buenos Aires rent was very expensive, there was much demand, so that would have meant a waste of time and money.
    The misunderstanding is owed to various reasons. Some dance halls or academias did not have a good reputation and the attendance was varied and, many times, "non sancta". Tough guys and easy living chicks used to go. But that does neither make those places whorehouses nor anything of the sort. Furthermore, people danced not only to tango there.
    Also there were prestigious dance halls where people of a higher status used to go and where tango was the king of dances.
    Those who adhere to this version are based on the lascivious titles and the connotation implied in some early tangos. Another mistake. That same kind of titles had already been used for polkas and corridos and their lyrics, if any, were repeated, passing from one air to another.
    By Ricardo García Blaya
    http://www.todotango.com/english/biblioteca/cronicas/origenes_del_tango.asp

18. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Men and women dancing as couples, both holding one hand of their partner, and "embracing" each other, can be seen in illustrations from 15th century Germany.
    <ref>Folk Dance of Europe. Nigel Allenby Jaffé. 1990. Folk Dance Enterprises. pages 148, 149. ISBN 0-946247-14-5</ref>

Danse de Paysans' (Peasant's Dance) by Théodore de Bry (1528-1598) shows a couple with a man lifting his partner off the ground, and the man pulling the woman towards him while holding her closely with both arms. His Danse de Seigneurs et Dames (Dance of the Lords and Ladies) featurs one Lord with his arms around the waist of his Lady.
    <ref>Folk Dance of Europe. Nigel Allenby Jaffé. 1990. Folk Dance Enterprises. page 150. ISBN 0-946247-14-5</ref>

There are several references to a sliding or gliding dance,- a waltz, from the 16th century including the representations of the printer H.S. Beheim. The French philosopher Montaigne wrote of a dance he saw in 1580 in Augsburg, where the dancers held each other so closely that their faces touched. Kunz Haas, of approximately the same period wrote that, "Now they are dancing the godless, ''Weller'' or ''Spinner'', whatever they call it."
    <ref>Nettl, Paul. Birth of the Waltz, in Dance Index vol 5, no. 9. 1946 New York: Dance Index-Ballet Caravan, Inc. page 211</ref>

Just making the point that "peasants" were doing it long before the Vienesse got it.

19. Vagabond

Vagabond New Member

You are absolutely right Steve.

Actually dancing only stopped in medieval times because it was "outlawed" by the catholic church of that time as was Argentine tango in 1912.

I often get the feeling that the emphasis lies on what dancing is today denying the fact that cavemen had the same urge for free movement as we have these days.

Though the dance in pre historical times often had the function of story telling (as one can still observe in various Aboriginal cultures today) there is more evidence from Abyssinian, Egyptian, Greek, Roman i.e. pictures on pottery, paintings etc. that will testify of the existence of dance, with female partners in days gone.

It is time that some people acknowledge the fact that dancing is not something we have invented last century, the art of dance is at least 60,000 years old

20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I can clean my ears perfectly well with soap and water and q-tips, thankyouverymuch! :)