Tango Argentino > Sex at the Milongas

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by pygmalion, Jan 26, 2004.

1. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

This article reminds me of the three biggest lies:

The checks in the mail

I love you

Tango didn’t start in the bordellos...jajajaja

2. jantango

jantango Active Member

Real origins of tango in Buenos Aires

Steve posted part of an important article by Blaya on the TodoTango site that all tango lovers should read in full. Every time one comes across a newspaper story about tango, the seedy beginnings of tango in the brothels is always the first paragraph. It's been written so many times that the world believes it is true.

I propose we change the name of this section of Dance Forum to "Tango Jokes" because that's the content of so many posts. Check the number of posts/views to the Tango Humor thread. We can always count on one from Hbboogie. I, for one, am tired of all the one-liners that don't contribute anything to the discussions.

3. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

A joke is a very serious thing. Winston Churchill

A joke is a very serious thing. Winston Churchill

Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious.
    Peter Ustinov

Bordertangoman quote
    , i spotted a 5p piece on the dance floor and my partner took umbrage and said
    " you'd stop dancing with me to pick up FIVE PENCE!"
    fortunatley she had a good sense of humour.

Dave Bailey quote
    That leads in to the "Well, would you stop dancing with me for £1 million...?" question

Joe quote
    Madam, we have already established what you are; we are now simply haggling over price."

Bordertangoman quote
    "it does require a slight modification of the embrace in order to hold his book in my left hand whilst dancing

Zoopsia59 quote
    That modification would be putting down your fag, right?
    Or is the left hand holding the drink?

Captian Jep quote
    What, you're NOT going for the cake ?!

Dave Bailey quote
    Christ, by the time I get there, you greedy sods will have eaten it, I'm sure

Angel HI quote
    . Boogie, That's Hysterical !

Bordertangoman quote
    "An archeologist commented: " we have found remnants of leather footware attached to a tapering piece of bone. We believe this to be the first high-heel shoe."

Sorry Ampster nothing you say is very funny jajajajajajajajajajajaja

4. hbboogie1

hbboogie1 New Member

brothels of Buenos Aires

Christine Denniston is author of The Meaning of Tango, Dancing Tango - Unlocking the Mysteries and Secrets of the Tango - 1914

There is a cliché that Tango was born in the brothels of Buenos Aires. However, a more likely explanation is that the brothels were where people of the upper and middle classes first encountered it. Members of Argentina's literary classes - the people who are most likely to leave written evidence - did not mix socially with members of the lower, immigrant classes except in brothels.

Brothels were major places of entertainment for the working classes. The terrible shortage of women in Buenos Aires made prostitution a thriving industry. A shortage of women in the population also meant a shortage of women to work in the brothels. With many potential clients and few working women, the consequence was that there would be queues in the brothels as men waited for the women to become available.

In exactly the same way that a few years later Madams in New Orleans would employ artists like Jelly Roll Morton, at the cutting edge of the new music transforming Rag Time into Jazz, to entertain the men while they waited, brothel owners in Buenos Aires would employ Tango musicians. In both cities, these musicians were playing the music of the poor, and brothels were amongst the very few places in that section of society that could afford to employ professional musicians. So it is not surprising to see that the most important early musicians often spent some time working in brothels before becoming successful to a wider audience. The difference is that the chattering classes and opinion formers in the United States were likely to have heard Jazz for the first time in a nightclub in New York or Chicago rather than in New Orleans, while in Buenos Aires it was in the brothels that opinion formers first heard and saw it.

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

God forbid that anyone have a little bit of light-hearted fun...

...jeez...

6. Me

Me New Member

I like the way our forum functions. It has been this way ever since I joined a few years ago. I wouldn't change it, ever. AT forums where people argue over what is "real" tango and disrespect one another are, frankly, a dime a dozen. I like the humor.

7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

And this is a bad thing because... :confused:

God knows we could all do with a bit more humour in our lives.

If I'm responsible for a large amount of the frivolity - and I probably am - then I'm very happy to be associated this way.

8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Do milongueros ever tell jokes, or if not, do they at least laugh at them?

[​IMG]

9. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Noh! remember that Quentin Tarantino came to a sticky end soon after he told a joke to some macho dudes in "Desperado". the Macho dudes didn't laugh as I remember.
    :argue:

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no humour allowed on DF anymore... it's entirely bothersome. use irony and wit at your own risk...

11. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

:uplaugh::banana::uplaugh::banana: Maybe not, but I'm a happy kinda guy!

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Happiness is not allowed, either.

13. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

*Grumble, grumble* :evil: :eyebrow: :tongue:

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Ah, now there we go. Grumbling and curmudgeonliness is highly approved of.

15. Peaches

So long as you're wearing a suit and not sweaty...

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Quite right. I didnt get where I am today without Grumbling and being curmudgeonly

17. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Damn right too.

"Groucho not gaucho" :)

18. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

I draw the line there! I'll be sweaty, but fragrant, and wear a Utilikilt to my next milonga.

... while still being *Grumble, grumble* :evil: :eyebrow: :tongue: and curmudgeonly. Does that work?

19. Peaches

Fragrant good, or fragrant bad??? :p

20. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

That depends on what you're wearing underneath the kilt.