Event Announcements > SF Bay Area: NorCal Winter Frolic Dance Competition

Discussion in 'Event Announcements' started by Laura, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Don't eat too much turkey! The NorCal Winter Frolic is coming to Palo Alto on January 28th. Join us for a day of competition and fun events.

For more information, visit http://www.usabda-norcal.org

2. Laura

Laura New Member

Hello everyone! It's time for the SF Bay Area's first local amateur comp of the year, the NorCal Winter Frolic. It will be Saturday, January 28th, at the Elks' Lodge in Palo Alto. Join us for newcomer and syllabus events, nightclub dance competitions, a team match (contact us if you want to create a team), and more.

Details and free online pre-registration are available at
    http://www.usabda-norcal.org/calendar/frolic2006.html

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Nightclub dance competitions? Cool! Do tell. :D What made your chapter decide to go for nightclub dance? And does the list of people entering look different than before? Are you attracting different competitors?

4. Laura

Laura New Member

The Nightclub events aren't anything new for us -- we've been running them since at least 1998. We offer single-dance competitions in Salsa, West Coast Swing, Nightclub Two-Step, and Hustle. There are no syllabus or costuming restictions -- it's just "get out there and dance." Every so often a "real" nightclub couple will come along and enter, but 99% of the time it's just dancesport people who enjoy the Nightclub dances. The local college students especially like to enter these events.

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That's really cool, Laura. Keeping it real, so to speak. :notworth: :D

6. Laura

Laura New Member

Well, we try to do what the people who come to dance in our events want. To us, that's what its all about.

Did I mention that we have Jack-and-Jill ballroom, latin, and nightclub contests? I think this time around it's Waltz, Cha Cha, and Hustle.

7. gusmahler

gusmahler New Member

What is a Jack and Jill contest?

8. Laura

Laura New Member

It's a contest where people sign up either to lead or to follow. They do not sign up with a partner. When it is time for the event, all the leaders line up on one side of the room and all the followers line up on the other. The MC then draws names at random to pair people up (and ours makes sure that people who are actual dance partners don't end up dancing together).

9. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Jack & Jill's are a great way to meet other dancers. In fact, I danced with a DFer at a jack and jill last year (before I had even heard of DF!).