General Dance Discussion > Sharing videos of your classes with others

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by DanceMentor, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

If a teacher invites students at the end of a class to take a video of the steps they taught, is it ethical/legal to then share that video with others without getting permission from the teacher and/or school?

2. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

One of the local studios shares lesson summary videos on their Facebook page. Studio is well patronized.

3. flying_backwards

flying_backwards Active Member

ethical? No, not in my opinion.
    legal? Maybe, but even if it might be legal, it does not seem polite.

Seems easy enough to just ask the teacher their preference and go with that.

Some teachers would be overjoyed to find their class video went viral. Others not so much.

Loki, Larinda McRaven and raindance like this.
  4. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Legal? Yes, absolutely unless it is explicitly stated verbally or written.

I'd say it's ethical depending upon the audience you're sharing it with. A private group, mostly so you can review the patterns/movements? I'd say that's fine. If you're using it to assist another school/teacher to teach a similar class though - then you're clearly crossing the line.

5. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

I always ask before showing a video of a teacher to anyone.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  6. snapdancer

Another studio's teacher allows videoing of the patterns but states that the video is not to be shared.

7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

If someone asks if they can video me or my class and I say yes... I no longer have control over that image of myself or my teaching. And I understand that.

If someone videos me working without asking... I stop the class and we have a private conversation about that.

Requiem and j_alexandra like this.
  8. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

With a baseball bat in hand ?...:rolleyes:...:D

9. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Some studios here forbid recording group classes while others apparently see vids as marketing tools.

But the polite thing IMO is to always ask and abide by the instructor's answer.

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What if it's less about "I'm filming Larinda teaching this lesson and those patterns" and more "Man, this studio is hoppin', look at all those people practicing—and oh look, there's Larinda teaching a lesson—and what the heck is that other teacher doing with that wedding couple, and wow I don't think I've ever seen it so busy?"

11. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

I would never break trust with my teacher by posting the parts of the lesson that were allowed to be recorded. Also, I would never take private or paid group lessons with a teacher that forbid recording. Trust runs both ways.

An interesting observation: I occasionally attend a social where the teacher gives a lesson before the social. The teacher was relatively high level when she competed and is now a judge, in addition to owning a studio. Attendance is at least 30 - 40 people at the lesson. She encourages the class to video the routine at the end. No one posts it.

12. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Most of our workshops the teaching pros would say it's for private use and specifically ask that it not be put on you tube etc

13. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

At one studio I attend that always invite students to film at the end of class. But they never mention what one should or should not do with the video. I did ask one teacher, and he said he preferred it not be posted publicly. In the case of that teacher (Ben Morris), there are already hundreds of videos of him online, including end of class videos. I am pretty sure the studio prefers to have more social media postings.

14. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

I have on occasion video-ed a routine at the end of a class and uploaded it to YouTube... but I keep it unlisted (not searchable). I think sharing the video/link with other class attendees is fine - that way, not everyone needs to tape it. It would also be totally ok, in my books, to share it with your private instructor with a view to asking specific technique or execution questions or potentially incorporating a cool combination into an existing routine.

Broader sharing, in my opinion, should come from the studio or instructor. Specific examples:
    • Once, I uploaded a video shared the link with a friend from the class who doesn't have a cell and copied the studio, who chose to share it via a FB link on their page.
    • Another time the studio asked me if I could make a routine video public... which I tend to not do with my videos. We ended up just uploading it to their account, rather than using mine.
    I would have no issue with a 30-second general clip of the room, with commentary to the effect of "this place is great!" being shared. A video focussing on one person or couple - unless it's at a comp or performance where private video is explicitly permitted - without their explicit permission is a no-go in my books though.

15. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

Good question. Some people at my studio often video the figure taught in a group class after the group, but I don't get the impression that they share it, it is just for their personal use for when they are practicing later when the instructor is not there to assist.

16. snapdancer

Who are the performers in their video? Is it the couple videoing themselves to make notes while the pattern is still fresh in their mind? In that case, I'd think it would be OK to share it with someone else.

17. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

I've seen different permutations:
    1. If it's a couple, one student tapes the other student + instructor doing figure.
    2. Instructor tapes couple doing it (if they really got it).
    3. If not a couple, student tapes instructor doing figure with another student or instructor (I have been the "other student").
    4. If not a couple, student has another student tape them doing figure with instructor (I have also been the videographer).

18. snapdancer

I was thinking of permutation 2A: The couple does as much as they can remember during the practice session immediately following the class while being videoed by a third student. No instructor involved in the videoing.