Tango Argentino > Sharing your whiz-bang new moves

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jul 3, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I know a guy who turns up at milongas every week with a new, whiz-bang move that usually draws looks of great admiration. I know how he does it, he watches videos and each week practices a new move on the crowd. It's a great learning philosophy. The best bit is that he'll always show someone how to do the moves, if they ask.

There are plenty of people who won't though, shrugging of requests with "I don't know. I just do it" or not even being polite about it.

Are you happy to share new/signature moves with other dances or do you prefer to keep them to yourself?

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Share the love, always share the love. :D

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Am in total agreeance, Sagitta, but apparently not everyone is...just wondering why.

One of my teachers is great. Everytime he does a new workshop, he comes back and teaches us what he's learned. Others are soooo protective of their knowledge.

:?

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Well it takes a follower to know the move as well so yes I share, but ......as a matter of etiquette I avoid showing moves on the dance floor so as not to interrupt the flow of dancing.

The chain I really like, and there is this nice move where the leader hooks the followers left foot with his left foot - requires a football type of manovre then he snakes his right foot between her legs anf flicks the follower's left leg away followed by a boleo to complete the move. Its real slinky.

5. Vin

Vin New Member

At the risk of being crucified here ......
    I actually come from the other side of this coin. If someone asks me how to do a move I kind of don't want to show them. Unless it was someone I already knew I would actually consider it kind of rude to ask. I am not an instructor and so I am not going to the club to drum up business. I go to have a good time and enjoy the dancing and my friends.
    In a situation where I were teaching a small group friends at the club then I am more than happy to teach anything I know to anyone that wants to join in with us. But no just some random person asking how I did something I would show them (probably quickly) but I wouldn't be too invested in whether they got it or not.
    Too add, if a friend wants to learn a move from me I put it off until sometime in the week when we can get together rather than trying to teach at a club.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Very wise... when you're dancing dance when your teaching teach! :) :)