Salsa > Shines

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Pacion, Jun 12, 2004.

?

Do you like shines?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. All the time!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Occassionally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What are they?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Do you like shines? I gather some people do and some don't :shock: I love them! :banana:

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Shines. I love shiny things. When anything shines my eyes glitter, I'm mesmerized, drawn to them. Wait!! :? This is about salsa!!

I like salsa shines too. I do them if the music calls for it and if my partner can do it. There are many who are uncomfortable doing shines, so I kind of hold myself back.

3. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: *YES!* Another person who loves Shiny things! *grins* Sagitta, you're a wonderful person! :friend: :bouncy:

I've never done a Shine in my life, honestly; but I know I'll have fun with them once I can! I've seen a shine done before, and it was utterly amazing!

...But, what *exactly* does a Shine entail? Is it merely doing certain moves from Salsa by one's self, or are there specific "only-for-Shines" moves that one learns?

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

4. Sagitta

5. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Thanks, Sagitta! :D

6. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

Love them, do them a lot especially if my partner enjoys them. You can be very, very playful with shines. And the connection is still there, it's all about giving and receiving with the eyes.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Eyes ... and lots of other things! :lol: Shines are a blast. :D

8. don_svendo

don_svendo New Member

They're cool, but I don't know any... :(
    I'll vote anyway! 8)

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Make them up as you go along! :lol: 8)

10. Sagitta

The thread called "Building a Shine Repertoire" in my above post has links to a couple shines, so you have a place to start Sakura Kitty, don_svendo...

11. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Check 'em out, DS! I did, and they're great! :D Thanks Sagitta-kun!

12. Sabor

Sabor New Member

Rise and Salsa Shine!! 8)

13. don_svendo

don_svendo New Member

Yeah, it's already in my bookmarks... I've tried out a few before the bathroom mirror too... :oops: :lol:

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Some songs always get me in the mood for shines for some reason, but usually I'm not a big fan. All I do is copy what the leader does or do some basic variations with body movement type stuff and hope the leader picks up that I'm not comfortable...
    I'm still in the process of building a basic repartoire of shines. I seem to forget most of what I have practised once I'm on the dancefloor. :oops:

15. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Awww! Don't worry, you'll remember it all someday, I'm sure of it! Just keep trying, and I'm sure you'll do great! :D :friend:

16. ketchup

ketchup New Member

As a leader, I always appreciate it when the follower does it. :D

17. Sagitta

Okay. Since we are on this topic I feel that doing shines involves a different sort of interaction then dancing connected. The follower does follow the music and leader, but does not imitate him. For instance, follower does body and hand styling in place while the leader responds to this with some in place dancing and turns, follower does a turn, followed by leader doing a double turn, connecting and doing partner dancing. Here the follower is not imitating what the leader does, but the dancing of both is a result of what the other partner is doing and music. There are times in shines where one imitates the other, but that should not be the over-riding theme. And note that the leader can respond to what the follower does, and it is not always the other way around, as seems to eb the case for dancing connected. This is my shine philosophy and what I've observed in my limited sphere from advanced dancers. :)

18. ketchup

ketchup New Member

What do you call that step... side step or Cuban step, whatever it is....,
    I think that step has a magical character...
    No matter what I am doing, once the follower starts doing that step, I always find myself doing the same. :lol:

19. Sagitta

You make little of my sage advice my friend! :(

You ask for the magical step that makes you or her do exactly what the other is doing? Lack of confidence? :wink: :)

If I start a Suzy Q a follower often joins. You know what I do? On the second measure, (meaning I moved to the right on the first measure with my left foot in front of my right, while dancing on1), I do a slide by right foot in place as a launching step (quick), with a big step using my right foot at a angle of about 30 degrees anti-clockwise (quick), and then right foot meets and makes contact with left resulting in left foot leaving the ground (slow), [Follower probably is meeting you here as I'm pretty sure she would stillbe doing Suzy Q] followed by left foot cross (quick), right foot back (quick), left foot together with right. [By now whether or not follower is doing Suzy Q or has stopped you can put some distance between ecah other.] This combo usually works well as by the end the follower has stopped doing Suzy Q. It does not look as if she was just copying me, but rather that we are responding to each other.

Another example are front crosses, where I can easily splice in a turn, changing the way I do the crosses from the first quick to the slow, or the other way around.

20. ketchup

ketchup New Member

No! By any means... that was NOT my intention. Sorry if I sounded that way. :cry:

1st question, no. 2nd question, always YES. Since the day I started dancing, there has been always lack of confidence in every aspect of my dancing; not just about shines. :cry: :cry:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, when MacMoto said, "All I do is copy what the leader does or .....," I didn't picture her literally "copy"ing what the leader does. Even if that was what she meant, I still wouldn't have any problem with that; on the contrary, as I said in my post, I would still appreciate it, because by doing that, the follower lets me know that she is still paying attention to me.

And I always try to let the follower know that I am still paying attention to her when we are in "shine" mode. Most of the time, by way of eye contact, sometimes, by doing the same type of step that she is doing, other times, by responding to her the way you have just described ------
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, I agree with your shine philosophy, but mine may be a bit different --- as long as we know we are still paying attention to each other, ANYTHING GOES.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back to "lack of confidence," when the follower was totally into herself, not even gave me a glance during her entire "show" over more than 20 measures---- I used to get :x , and decide to out-shine her. But that was a long time ago. Now that I am a little more secure than I was in those days, I just go "You go girl! Yeah!" :wink: