Shoes: How long do they last?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Medira, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Medira

Medira New Member

Ladies, just a quick question since I'm working out my cash flow for the next couple of months at the moment... How long do ballroom shoes last? I have my first pair of open-toed shoes that are looking nice and beaten up after fairly frequent abuse during the last four months. I'm wondering if this is normal for this length of time as well as how much longer I can expect them to last before they give up on me.
  2. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

It depends on how often you go dancing and if you're feet get stepped on a lot.

I find having the bottoms resuaded and turning them into practice shoes or social shoes is great. Nice clean shoes are good for fancy affairs and competitions. But a beat-up shoe is fine for day to day.

My shoes get resuaded about every 8 months. I dance about 4 times a week between hour long privates and 4 hour socials. I also use the same pair at competition weekends during social dancing (more common in the swing world). The shoes themselves are in great condition, but over time the suade gets rubbed off and flattened out that no amount of brushing is going to fix. But I don't see the point in buy a new pair just because the need a $7 bit of work on the bottom of the sole.
  3. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

They don't last long enough IMO. When I was teaching, I'd average a new pair every other month. I was brutal. Now, I get a new pair every year (whether I need them or not). I don't do as much dancing as I used to (sadly) but if I kept up my old schedule of 2 hours per week coaching plus social dancing I'd be getting new shoes every quarter.
  4. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Hey, that sounds like a great idea...where do you go to get your shoes resueded, just any cobbler?
  5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Most cobblers can do it.
  6. Gumby

Gumby New Member

My problem with shoes isn't the soles. Its the sides. I supinate pretty badly (though not as badly as I used to thanks to dancing) so the leather gets stretched and then doesn't provide enough support. At the moment I dance about 10-15 hours a week - so I go through about 3 pair of leather pumps for practice (I don't practice in "practice" shoes) and 1 pair of competition pumps per year. My old last years comp shoes then become my social dance shoes.

I'd love it if a pair of my shoes lasted long enough to be resoled!
  7. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

Mine tend to hold on on the sides well. Maybe brand? Of course I wear them so much that I can't read the brand on the insole and will never find them again :cry:

I take mine to any cobbler. That was a hard decission! The local dance shoe shop wanted me to buy suade pads and then have the shoes shipped off have the pads put on which would take a week to ship and get back. Came to $30ish dollars + shipping.

The local cobbler I went to knew immediatly what I wanted when he saw dance shoes and actually did a re-soling. $20 and they were ready the next day.

I've had two pairs done, both were destroyed due to dancing on the piers, in the rain, and in gross bars with bad floors. I actually like the feel of the resuaded soles better than the fresh out of the shoebox soles.
  8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

A good method that has been mentioned is alternating shoes every day/week/whatever suits your fancy. Try to wear different shoes and not the same ones for a long period of time. It's sort of like giving them time to rest.

Twilight Elena
  9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Four months is NOT a long time! Those satin things don't last for squat. Although I dance only latin street, I dance HARD and sweat tons in my shoes, yet I can wear a pair for at least a year before all the silver/gold is worn off the leather and they're too stretched out to be comfortable anymore!
  10. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

TE had good advice about alternating shoes. I recommend this for regular leather footwear as well. You should let the shoes air out completely for a day or so, especially if your feet tend to sweat. That way, you can eliminate the problem of foot odor. (I've been around some ladies who wear the same shoes every day and it's like GAWD, don't light a match!)
  11. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

:shock:
    Do you girls really get new shoes so often?
    I've had my most recent pair of shoes for (gosh!) almost four years now. They are flesh satin. Granted, three of those years haven't included much dancing, but the first year I danced an average of 3 hours/day (7 days a week) in them - generally more. They're still wearable (and excessively comfortable), although they no longer look good enough for competition. I've always been careful to keep them aired out, and they've pretty much kept their shape.
    I always have a silver leather pair that I've had a total of six years. . . and they're still look good enough to wear for competition. I try to avoid wearing them, because they're not nearly as comfortable as the other pair, but they are in great shape!
  12. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

me2
  13. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I usually have a pair (or two) to wear for practice, and a pair for competitions. When the comp shoes get too dirty to be worn on the comp floor any more, I turn them into practice shoes.

I'm just about to 'recycle' an old comp shoe of mine - had it for a year or so, danced on average two comps a month in it.
  14. Medira

Medira New Member

I actually have three pairs of dance shoes that I rotate through. The pair that I had in mind with this question are definitely still wearable...they just look quite abused. Well, that and I need to get the toe fixed on one of them... I figure if I continue at the rate I have been, they may last another two months or so. Possibly longer if I drop off on the hiatus I've been planning.

I was just wondering if this is normal.
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

I probably go through three or four pairs of satin shoes per year. I dance about six hours a week in them. A pair will start out as comp shoes, and I'll wear them a few times (cleaning them with Dryel stain remover in between wearings). When they get too scuffed up to clean with the Dryel, they become practice shoes. I'll wear the practice shoes until the heel cups lose their stiffness/stability. My current pair is all scuffed and the sole area around the ball of the foot is so soft that it can fold completely backward, but the heel area is still stable enough. They're nice and comfy now but they look pretty crappy.
  16. Snuggles

Snuggles New Member

i beat on my shoes!! i get a new pair of shoes (standard and latin) every 2 months... the worn out shoes become my parctise shoes until they are totally dead and then i get a new pair once my prac shoes are totalled... i dance in my comp shoes about 6 times before they become prac shoes because i go through my prac shoes real easy... as i dance averaging about 3 hours a day everyday... i get new pointe shoes every month because they get real gross... they get holes and smelly cos my feet bleed... my feet never healed because i do ballet for at least an hour a day... so yeh... i spemd most of my money... well mum and dads... on dance shoes... i keep every pair of shoes i have ever had, there are hundreds of pairs... right from when i was about 4 til now...
  17. Medira

Medira New Member

I used to go through pointe shoes every month or two back when I was dancing ballet heavily...though the toes would usually crack and break, as opposed to wearing holes in them. Actually, it was about the same for the other two I danced with at the time. I wish they would have made them last longer.
  18. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

OK, folks, I want to bring this one up again, because I need suggestions on how to deal with smelly shoes. The pair I currently use for competition is not too bad, but the one I practice and take lessons in (read: wear it most of the dancing time, which is up to 12 hours a week) is just horrible. The worst part is that the smell spreads throughout the bag and the contraption I bought for "smelly gym bags" does not work.
  19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

please read through our past threads on this...we have at least two ...with tons of suggestions
  20. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I did a search for "smelly shoes" and it didn't bring up much. That's why I posted.