Salsa > Should styling be taught if......

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, Jul 19, 2004.

1. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

...........the newbies are still struggling with timing/finding the beat?

This thought occured to me last Thursday, as I arrived at one of the clubs too early so we ended up watching the class.

These were absolute beginners. I don't think half of them knew how to work with the music, or how to dance with a partner.......

Yet, they were all counting while learning 101 moves completed with *very* dramatic styling (think sychronised swimming). Everyone with serious facial expressions, from the concertration of memorising the 'routine'.........

Out of boredom/curiosity, Rico & I each danced with one. He said that his newbie did not know how to move with him, while mine 'parked' us in the middle of the dancefloor & proceeded to teach me the moves :shock: ........

..........I really feel for the students, as I don't believe it's their fault :cry: .

What's your take, guys....? Is it a common situation where you are? Can the classes be conducted more effectively....? How does one give such information to teachers? Are they indeed awarer at all?

2. timbafreak

timbafreak New Member

OOH don't get me started on teachers! :evil:
    I was thinking about this yesterday, I went out dancing, the guys kept going off the beat when he was turning me, and doing lots of complicated arm work. I asked him how long he'd had been dancing, and he said three lessons.

Very nicely I told him to stop doing everything, and focus of the basic step, holding me properly, and leading me correctly. I don't like to do that, because I'm not a teacher, and hate seeing people do so in a club. However, why create a bunch of dancers that don't dance properly?

For the record, he enjoyed it, thanked me, and came back a few times to practise his new found timing, bless him :lol:

Some teachers, not all, don't even seem to watch the class, I've watched teachers do a routine, that NO ONE inthe class has got, and then proceed to the next move! Some also get very angry if you try to adapt the routine to suit yourself.

The solution? Who knows, I think a lot of it is a personality thing, dancing with some of these 'teachers' is a nightmare! I once told a teacher that no one in the class had got the a turn pattern, he glared at me as if it was my fault!

Maybe a recognised standard certificate of some kind? Nah, because a bad teacher is a bad teacher. Not sure, any suggestions to a solution here?

3. megaproto

megaproto New Member

they dont for sure....... seems like they are wrap in their own 101 instead of proper teaching ummm i would go up to him and say........... "hey im a better teacher than you are" :D then the teacher will go :shock: then you will go 8) and ask some of the student to dance with you later. And so you dance with them and they appreciate the way you teach them and they will compliment you, you will go :oops: and they will have great fun :D and the student feel good and quit infront of the teacher :x

4. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:roll: Indeed :roll: !!!!!!! It never ceased to amuse me that every second person you meet is an instructor :roll: ............THIS really puts me off ever wanting to teach, except I do believe in trying to make a difference.

5. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

BTW, megaproto, if you are in Perth & into salsa, you guys have an excellent teacher there : John Salsa.

He's both a great dancer & a great teacher. I'd recomment him to anyone 8) .

Anyone else lurking from Perth, check him out, as well as the show "Bar at Buena Vista"........worth every penny.

Ok, commercial break over :lol: :lol: :lol: .........!

6. megaproto

megaproto New Member

yes i do wanna watch that bar at buena vista that cuban singer he look so cool and the add look awesome too... but John Salsa is real.... his last name is salsa huh? yes im into salsa hey hey are you sure his last name is salsa? i want to know more about him because i want to learn salsa yesssssss and how old is he and can he put up with teen...... i mean we are pretty rotten especially in dancing :oops: :D :lol:

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

As a person who wanders from time to time...I think it is important tp spend time on this. What's the use of styling while off-beat and not dancing with the music? :?

8. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Short answer: no.
    The foundation of salsa dancing is the basic step, to the beat of the music. Newbies shouldn't be moved on to complicated patterns or styling until they got the basic right.

9. Vin

Vin New Member

Just to play devil's advocate a little:
    Here in the little salsa corner of the world where I am at, I do teach some people from time to time, more out of having to than really wanting to. Of course I also attend every lesson I can.
    How would you temper learning the basics over and over again with the students impatiently wanting to learn the flashy stuff.
    Seriously, I could spend five weeks teaching a new salsa dancer just the basic step and feel like we have made alot of progress but most students don't even want to spend five minutes learning the basic step before they want to do the coolest new moves.

I have some related questions:
    What should be the goal for an introductory class?
    Should an intro class serve to get some students interested in the scene and salsa dancing in general?
    Should the intro class try and teach the fundamentals perfectly?
    How can you teach someone to truly love the music in the way that is necessary to become an amazing salsa dancer?
    Are these goals compatible?

10. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Spot on, Vin 8) .........!

My point exactly. Such dilemma. "To basic or not to basic...?"

What do we all think, folks......? There has got to be a way.

11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

The beauty of instant gratification!!! I want to race the 100M dash, but I don't know how to walk!!! me want it yesterday!

Slow, steady and well isn't very vast in many's vocabulary. Instead, fast, bumby and horrible is substituted! then again, they just wanna have fun! To bad newbies don't see the need for great basics until they finally reach the point skill dancers have! Then, we all need to work on our basics. hehe

12. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:roll: ...........at the expense of others :x !!!!! (those "styling" can poke your eyes out :roll: )

13. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:( , doesn't it stink for us!!!! God, sometimes I feel like hanging myself when I see newbies being taught move after move, and they can't even find the dance floor, less so the 1.

14. Vin

Vin New Member

I say let them have fun, even at the expense of others. As long as they aren't dangerous it isn't a problem. Those who really want to learn how to do it well will find there way.

15. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:headwall: So true!

I had to stop myself from strangling the teacher :roll: ...........

16. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And to play devils advocate how many dancers out there will have patience to dance just the basic with a beginner? Not many. For AT I have found many more willing to do that...the walk. Is it mine or any other beginners fault that if we focus on the basic we don't get dances, but add moves and the followers come?

17. tj

tj New Member

I could imagine the whole thing being wrapped up in an air of kitzchke

I didn’t know of any of this going on in either the Denver or Seattle salsa scenes, unless you wanna describe a salsero offering to “teach” (ahem) an attractive beginner gal. In general, both of those two cities had pretty good instruction when it comes to teaching beginners.

I guess part of it is how much can you expect to teach in a ½ hr to 1 hr class before social dancing at a club? Especially since this will be the first exposure to dancing for a lot of the newbies. For me, I’ll concentrate on the “having fun/kidding around” aspect of dancing rather than anything else. If we can keep on beat for most of the song, even better!

I think the instructors that I’ve known, try to do the best they can, given the lack of time, experience, and motivation for beginners coming to a salsa club for the first time.

18. Lofland

Lofland New Member

6 months of lessons
    + dropping in on a beginner class
    + getting paired up with a gorgeous first-timer
    + instructor not rotating partners
    + teaching way too hard a pattern
    + me saving the day by teaching her the basics
    = her looking at me like I'm Ricky Martin
    = GOOD TIMES :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So to all the instructors who make the nightclub beginner class way too hard-- MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!

Seriously, being a nightclub instructor is an impossible job, since you have to accomodate different levels of experience. Some will be bored to death, some will never get it. But if fewer than half the couples get the pattern right after you've taught for an hour and a half, that should be a sign that it's too hard. Last Saturday's pattern for first-timers at the class i attended was:

Two-hand hold, lady's right turn into a hammerlock, turn out of the hammerlock into two back breaks with hands high, guy does a left turn so his back is to the lady, they do two back breaks with his hands behind his back, then he does a 180 degree left turn, she does a 360 right turn till they're facing each other with a crossed-hand hold.

I thought this was too hard, when they haven't learned the details of the basic step, cross-body lead, or right turn yet. And after the class with the gorgeous partner, I also helped an older widow from the class learn the pattern plus all the basic steps. So I'm not such a bad guy, right? Right???

19. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: Too funny!

Ok, the 'lesson' I received from the newbie (who has no idea about dancing on beat) was the fancy routine completed with styling. The "I put you here then you do X, Y & Z...." thingie :roll: ........

20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Oh, you mean the "here's the pattern, so don't worry about actually dancing" thingy? :wink: