Salsa > Should styling be taught if......

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by salsachinita, Jul 19, 2004.

1. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

From the look of him in his picture-- at my age , I would rather borrow his body !! ( promise i wont get it wrinkled )

2. tj

tj New Member

So here's an interesting question: who is "right"?

If you have a majority of people in a scene who think song A should be danced with style X, but along comes another person or several people, who think it should be style Y, who is "correct"?

3. tj

tj New Member

Good, I don't think Josh would enjoy being lightly starched.

4. tangotime

Both !!

5. tj

tj New Member

I need to make a flashcard of this discussion to remind folks then. ;) :rolleyes: Far too many critics in salsa nowadays!

...hmm, I think I'll just say, "Pizza!"

6. Andresito

Andresito Member

Guys...

This comes from a Latin man.

I grew inside this music, my mother sang those songs to me when I was just born.

So I can see what is not "authentic". I tend to prefer the authenticity.

But it is true, some non-authentic salsa dancing styles are beautiful and I like them a lot, specially when the authentic is enriched by someone that masters another styles.

Even I like this more than the authentic sometimes...

But what I find out of place is the distortion of my culture made by some that really don't know, don't master and don't care about the roots...

And I happen to see it often...

7. Josh

Josh Active Member

Lol, we'll call the show the "TJ and TT show" ... you guys have me laughing out loud here, whoo, I needed that today! :)

8. tj

tj New Member

Andresito, Pizza! :wink: :)

Josh, glad to be of service! :wink:

(disclaimer - don't take me too seriously... it's Friday and I'm looking forward to the weekend.)

9. Andresito

Andresito Member

A Fiorentina for me please.... with extra spinach

10. tangotime

Josh-- could you send the " entertainment " fee , to my" old folks" , home ?

11. sweavo

sweavo New Member

SPINACH?! On a PIZZA? are you MAD!!?

Pizza should only ever contain tomato, herbs, cheese, peppers, onions, pepperoni, olives, anchovies, egg, chicken curry, potatoes, doner meat, bolognese sauce... :) (yes I have seen all of these offered in Britain)

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll second that one!

13. Andresito

Andresito Member

http://www.waitrose.com/recipe/Pizza_Fiorentina.aspx

[​IMG]

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Certainly a new one on me. strangest i've had, to my opinion, was the phasant and plum sauce pizza mom brought home from CPK one night. Have to admit though, it was pretty good.

15. Josh

Josh Active Member

LOL, tt, you are a riot. Thanks for another smile and laugh :)

16. sweavo

sweavo New Member

17. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

That is something that my pregnant brain CANNOT look at without causing my entire being to want to launch itself out of my esophagus. Hurk.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol... thes!!!! it's so great to see your pregnant self around these parts! :D :D :D :D

19. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

Is this what's harvested after you sign the back of your driver's license? Ewww... or waitaminit... do you mean donair meat? :p:p

20. thespina13

thespina13 New Member

LoL.. hey sexy! Just getting back into the swing of things after coming back from the Big Trip.

But enough hijacking!! Styling SHOULD be mildly taught right from the beginning, so its inclusion during social dancing becomes natural and easy. But NOT at the expense of timing and technique! the great thing about good styling is that it helps the mechanics of good dancing. Scaled fingers give control, having the arm up across your chest with the hand turned out helps a spin and the pickup after the spin, proper arm movement during a basic helps solidify contra-body motion. But this is how I think styling shouldbe taught... like table manners. Not, "here's a cute way to look fancy", but, "we hold the knife in the right hand so at a crowded table we're not elbowing the person next to us". Style with purpose and with the goal of creating good looking and efficient technique.

Boy I sound like a snob!