General Dance Discussion > Should you go to privates if you are sick?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by SPratt74, Aug 1, 2006.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I've taken lessons before when my instructor had a cold. I don't get colds or flu very often, so it doesn't bother me. And I know that if she's capable of standing up, she's going to teach; she'd be more miserable at home watching TV.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

sick

From a coach- NEVER !!

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my pro has to work..even when he's sick...if he's vertical, he's working...thus, I catch his colds...and liekwise he catches mine...sometimes by the time you figure out its a cold you have already exposed them...as for coaches...no I would never want to take a coaching while sick for a variety of reasons

4. danceislove

danceislove New Member

I think they should call to tell you they are sick and offer to cancel. Some people obviously don't care about taking lessons from someone who is sick. I however would cancel.

5. nikita

nikita New Member

I am panicking with colds, cause I can't work with it. But it seems to depend from our general condition, if we catch one, or not and to what extent. I don't think, that it is a reason to cancel, except, when we have fever. Then we should better stay in bed.

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Is it even healthy to dance when you are sick like that? I mean is your head with it at that point? Could you hurt yourself or your coach or vice versa if you aren't thinking correctly?

Oh and I'm glad that everyone liked this thread and that's still going on. ;)

7. nikita

nikita New Member

You don't need your head for dancing:D , just your heart.

8. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

How about just asking the other person if they mind dancing with your germs?

9. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Exactly why I asked. Students won't lose anything if they don't dance for a couple of days (maybe they'll get cranky ;), but that's that). Teachers, on the other hand... If a teacher works 7 hours a day average and misses a coupel of days, that's 14 hours of lessons. Even with rates around 10$ per private (and most teachers get much more than that), it's still 140$. It's a pair of Supadance shoes. It's entry fees for a competition. You get my point...
    My stand on this? If I'm on my feet and I can dance, I'll work. Unless I have a cold (sneezing and blowing your nose while doing the Rumba? I don't think so) I'll work. And I'll probably try to keep contact to a minimum, do mirror technique.

T_E

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

*bump*

A poster in another thread made me remember this one.

Any more thoughts on dancing (or not dancing) while sick? Any precautions that you take to minimize that chances of getting sick in the first place?

11. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

As long as one is ambulatory, the potential issue that I see it is whether a pro / studio is going to charge a cancellation fee. Cut people some slack on the cancellation and in return, they won't come in to infect you. Fair?

Funny - similar question in another area came up about cruiseline passengers who know they are ill with something highly contagious like Norovirus, but board the ship anyway or refuse to obey quarantine. Of course, there one's talking about thousands of dollars, not tens or a hundred.

Oh. Wash.your.hands.

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

At least one studio (IIRC two) that I have attended conspicuously display hand sanitizer on all the counters.

13. bia

bia Well-Known Member

A family friend was in this situation -- got chicken pox as an adult right before a planned cruise, called the cruiseline to get a refund. Was refused. Said, "Oh, OK, I'll come, then." Got refund.