Salsa > Should your toes reach the end of your dance shoes?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DancingDesigner, Jul 10, 2013.

?

Do your toes hang over the end of your dance shoes?

1. Yes - Let your toes touch the floor!

28.6%
  2. No - But your foot should cover the sole, no lip showing

42.9%
  3. No - It's OK if the sole is a little longer than your foot

28.6%
  1. DancingDesigner

DancingDesigner New Member

I'm pretty new to dancing salsa and bought my first pair of strappy dance shoes. They fit nice and snug and were 50% off (great but I can't return them). After buying them, I start hearing people saying that your toes should hangover the end of the shoe, or at least end where the shoe sole ends. I've read online that some dancers cut off the extra sole at the end to achieve this. I found out that my shoe repair shop can cut and sew up the front of the sandal for only $15.

I'm wondering if I should go through with having the shoes trimmed down? It would only be 1/3 inch to have the sole end where my toes end. Or should I leave them alone? Also, if I have them altered, should I wait and see if the shoes stretch before doing it?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

There's no hard and fast rule on this. If you're comfortable with how your shoes fit... well, as the saying goes, don't "fix" what isn't broken. ;)

(That said, if you prefer the added control/contact of having your toes on the floor, than by all means modify to suit your preferences!)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have long toes (why the rest of me could not be long and thin I will never understand)...so yea, I get over hang...doesn't bother me...and I have seen some pros cut the front of their latins off

4. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

I dance ballroom mostly, but do dance salsa.

For ballroom I prefer toe overhang. :) Helps me feel the floor better.

Of course, in some nightclubs, you might NOT want to feel the floor dancing salsa... ;)

5. tcfoot wearcorp

tcfoot wearcorp New Member

I dance with flat belly shoes its very comfortable and easy to dance and my feet always in relax.............

6. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Gosh.. that sounds painful !:rolleyes:

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

the shoes

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Like other people have mentioned, it's a personal choice, but I like to be able to feel the floor, and I usually can get a better point out of my feet if my toes over hang.

9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I (leader) dance tango, salsa, and other stuff. And I always wonder why salseras more or less ignore or do not spend attention to their feet.