Tango Argentino > Shouldn't anyone be able to tango?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, May 3, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I heard an intersting theory recently, one that makes some sense. Tango is very much a walking dance and, in theory, you could go an entire night just doing tango walks. If that's so, why do so many people have trouble with tango and claim it so difficult? In theory, if you can walk, you can tango, but I've seen some pretty bad tangos from people who are quite graceful in other forms of dance.

What is it that is so difficult or perceived to be so difficult about our beloved tango?

2. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Tango is by far my worst dance (except for Bolero and Samba--both of which I'm just learning, thus I don't yet count them as dances I do). I'm really working on keeping my legs slightly bent, releasing my toe, tilting my body, etc. There is so much to remember...I just don't enjoy it. I normally attempt to sit them out...but for some reason, men just don't like it when I do that. ;)

Anyway, I know like four things...the basic, the promenade (to the swivel turn thingy and tango close), the corte, and the double corte. These I do well. It is SO frustrating because people try other things...but for some reason, I'm concentrating so much I just can't do it. I end up about to burst into tears because I am simply not used to not being about to do something immediately.

Burns me up...

3. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

TemptressToo - Don't give up. Maybe you're trying too hard? :?
    I'm told it is more difficult than other dances but I only do AT so I have nothing to compare. Try following the man no matter what he does and don't think about any particular step. keep your sternum facing his. step forward/backward only in the direction that your hips face.

The tango is only a forward, backward or sideways step, or a pivot.
    The rest is music and feeling and connection with your partner.
    Stick to him like glue. :lol:

4. voilsb

voilsb New Member

I would say it's because Tango is such an incredibly subtle and musical dance, with an enormous whole-body lead/follow element to it.

5. tasche

tasche New Member

I dont do AT but when I do IS style tango in group classes and socials is that guys wont bring me close enough in. It like their afraid of being sued or slapped or something. Once I can weasel my way in close enough I can follow no prob

6. bordertangoman

The woman should set the distance she is comfortable with so weasel away!, not the man bring her in. Practice with an arms crossed over your chest - makes things easier to get used to close embrace. Man puts both his arms on your shoulder blades.

7. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Last night during my ballroom technique class...my mood totally bombed when I discovered we would be working on....TANGO. Oh, the bane of my existence...

So much to remember and I feel so ungraceful and gawky doing it. I suppose part of that was the leads fault (he was just learning as well making me feel totally off balance).

Anyway, the whole night was not a complete waste because my advanced Latin class covered cha cha. Yay!

8. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Ah, my dear Temptress!

You must simply let yourself be swept up in the embrace of your partner, as a woman can be swept up in the whirlwind of a man's passion! Tango is about "I want you here, I want you now, and I want you over and over and over again."

:wink:

9. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Sorry, but try as I might...I simply could not conjur up those feelings...even in an act. ;) My class partner simply wouldn't do that for me. :)

10. Genesius Redux

I ain't God's gift to tango. And I'm certainly not God's gift to women. But I'm a fabulous actor, and I can and will sweep you right off your feet when we get a chance to dance. That's a promise. 8)

11. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

My feeling is that following ballroom tango is mostly about staying poised in a position from which you can move, having a slight muscle-memory bias towards moving in tango-like ways, and staying in frame with your partner. OK - I'm a leader, but I'm the least pathetic at following tango compared to the other dances.

It's my impression that AT is even more lead (rather than recognized), so I would think the main skill would be maintaining the appropriate poise and connection.

As a guess, the closer a dance gets to just walking around, the greater the chance that someone will make one of two major mistakes - either assuming that it doesn't take any skills at all, or assuming that it should be more complicated than that and overdoing things. I'm guessing that the difference between walking around and dancing AT is subtle, but absolutely critical.

12. tasche

tasche New Member

But I'm the female and I let them hold me close but they push you back out so far its almost impossible to dance ( p.s I'm not ugly :lol: ) Maybe their afraid I'll knee them somewhere inappropriate

13. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

In my case...I'm afraid I WILL knee them somewhere inappropriate. Especially with guys shorter than I. Plus...I so far just don't like being that close to total strangers (what do you mean CLOSER???).

14. virginiadancegirl

virginiadancegirl New Member

And when do I get my chance for a dance, GR? I have, until recently, severely disliked tango. I am doing an Int'l Tango workshop on Saturday...so we'll see if I like it more then....and I'll keep a spot on my dance card open........

15. bordertangoman

Imagine a millipede: Its legs move in a wave so the leg infront moves slightly ahead of the leg behind. As a tango couple you move like two pair of legs in the millipede; the woman's leg travels out before her body moves and the man has a space to step into. The sequence is signal follow follow. If this is working the man won't get his balls crushed by the woman's knee because it will either be vertically below her (but with her weight as forward as possible without losing balance or behind her.

TT if you don't like being close to total strangers thats fine -unless you're in Bs As

16. Genesius Redux

How about the next time you're in Tennessee or I'm in Virginia? I would be most flattered and enchanted if you could find a space for me on your dance card. :D 8)