Tango Argentino > Shut up and dance!

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Mar 28, 2004.

1. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

that is my point: we are conditioned into believing that we must answer the phone no matter what we are doing.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

2. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Tell me about it! I've actually had two students *answer* their cell phones in class!!! :shock: :x :shock: :x

3. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I have no problem switching my mobile phone off during class. Just because I have a mobile does not mean that I'm available 24/7.

4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to buy some 'seek and destroy' little robots that home in on active mobile phones -like those little horrors in Minority Report.

"You have 15 seconds to switch off your mobile" ala Robocop.

5. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I have a picture of a friend of mine on the phone while dancing. It's funny and since it was a friendly social dance, it was okay. But yes, otherwise, I'd say it's a bit rude.

Just remember to ask your leaders, "Is that a pager/cell phone in your pocket that's vibrating, or do you really like dancing with me?" :)

6. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ah, cell phones. Bring an end to modern civilization as we know it. ;)

And seriously, answering cell phones while dancing? While tangoing?? While argentine tangoing???

I don't own a cell, but I wouldn't even bring it into a dance hall/studio if I did.

On the topic of talking while dancing, sometimes it's ok, sometimes it's not.

7. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I used to usher for the Cleveland Orchestra, and the fact that many patrons tended to "forget" to disable their pagers and cell phones during concerts really got to people. So we ushers wound up having to wear badges saying "did you turn off your cell phone?" Granted sometimes people with pagers would be kind to leave them at coat-check, but many people will still forget.

I cannot imagine even being able to hear my cell phone over loud music... much less be able to talk to anyone.

8. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

:lol:

I couldn't possibly talk in tango--it's too intense a dance!

How to handle dancing with someone new to me? That would depend on the person--I've danced a social tango that is playfully dramatic, but the contact and energy remains light. Usually I do that with people who are more reserved.

But if I dance with someone who looks like they want the whole package, I give them the whole package (to the limit of my ability anyway). After all, it's tango, and people presumably know what they're getting into.

I save talk for afterwards, particularly if my partner is a really good dancer. There's always plenty of time for "Wow, where did you learn to dance like that? How long have you been dancing there? Do you know X? And did you hear that his partner ditched him on the floor last Friday?"

I agree with Scorp--the floor is for dancing, the table is for talking. I used to try to talk to very new dancers, to get them loosened up--but I found the more I did it, the more nervous they got. Until I realized that the poor things were trying to talk and count at the same time! Since I'd been there myself, I thought it best to give them a break! :lol:

9. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I've been there too!!! However, if you are a beginner follower it sometimes helps to just forget about counting etc and just follow. In some cases I've discovered that talking makes the follower focus on the leader and becomes more leadable and better able to dance.

10. Genesius Redux

Huh. I guess you're right. I never thought about it that way. :?

Okay, from now on when I dance with someone who's just starting out, I'm talking about everything--what we do, the weather, the Yankees. If she loses count and gets her toes stepped on, I'll just tell her to hold her frame and go to this thread! :lol:

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Do people do that!? :shock: Your scene seems to be a lot more interesting place than mine...

12. Genesius Redux

Seen in happen once--to a teacher/manager at the studio I used to dance at. This guy is a total nudge--self-important, bullying with students, just all around nasty. Anyway, he's trying to "teach" someone an object lesson at a party, and she's asked him nicely not to do it. And he keeps doing it, so she walks off the floor. They were right next to the band. So he has to walk across the entire length of the floor, into his office, where he shuts the door and doesn't come out for the rest of the night.

You go girl! :lol: :wink:

13. wicked salsero

wicked salsero New Member

ok guys... ive been dancing salsa on1 the last couple of years and about 6 months ago i started taking on2 classes as well...

i find it cool the second thing to ask the lady is "do you prefer on1 or on2 madam and with what type of styling ?" :p

anyway i noticed this strange fenomena while dancing

although when i dance on1 i might start talking with my partner i just cant talk & dance on2...is it maybe im doing to much mental work to keep with the beet ?

also when i chat my partner up i always look at their facial expressions and see if they like it or not...

I mean not staring you in the eyes doesnt meen they dont like it....It could be they are shy....:)

regardless of all this, when my partner starts chatting me up and i dont really want to...i nod her to my "shut up and salsa" t-shirt i usually wear

14. Sagitta

Well I hope that you have more then one of those T-shirts if that's what you usually wear!! :wink:

15. wicked salsero

wicked salsero New Member

hehehehe......i wash that tshirt a few times each week :)

16. Pacion

Pacion New Member

Gosh, with all this chatting up, it's any wonder how you manage to get any dancing in at all! :wink: :D

17. Sagitta

I'm wondering about that too! :?

18. Marino

Marino New Member

I'll probably not be very original saying that dance in itself is a form of talking to the person you dance with. I think the better you dance, the less there is any need of words.

However perhaps in rumba some occasional words here and there would make things even better.

19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi Marino! Welcome to the forums. :D 8)

20. Sagitta

Welcome onboard the df boat Marino! Happy to have you with us! :D

Why do you choose rhumba as the dance where to have "some occasional words here and there would make things even better"?