Ballroom Dance > Silk versus Satin Shoe Wear

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by danceronice, Mar 31, 2015.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Okay, this is the Smooth shoe I wear: http://www.danceshopper.com/ballroom-dance-shoes.Supadance_1534 I'm really picky as it's about the only style I can get my foot into in Smooth-type shoes and I just can't dance in court shoes, so my options are very limited. I need to replace my current pair. My dress would actually look nice (probably better) with black stockings/shoes, and it would be better for a lot of my showcase costumes. Buying two pairs is not really an option right now, so I'm torn--do the silk shoes wear harder and faster than the satin? I'll stick with fleshtone if the silk is going to be too delicate to use for lessons.

2. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

I have an older pair of black fabric Supadance shoes and I don't think there's any difference between the fabric on them and the fabric on my flesh colored Supadance shoes. I don't remember if they were labelled silk though, it's been a long while since I bought them.

3. Al Gisnered

Al Gisnered Member

Unfortunately, because of the advertising jargon, you're trying to make a decision between what seems to be an apple and an orange. Silk is a kind of fiber - like wool, cotton or polyester. Satin is a weave - like taffeta, percale or velvet. Considering the information provided by Danceshopper (and Supadance USA), there is no way of knowing whether there is a difference between the two fabrics other than color. Knowing something about manufacturer processes, I suspect that the same basic satin is used, and simply dyed either black or "flesh".

The black gets a minor plus for longevity - you can always use a Magic Marker to hide scuffs and stains. The "flesh" color is almost impossible to repair in any pleasing way. Either shoe will produce a good look with hosiery colored the same as the shoe, so if your costumes are better with the black, the decision gets to be a no-brainer IMHO.

4. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Can you dye/paint the pair you have now for showcases etc. and keep a nice flesh/tan pair for other occasions? Or does your current pair have one foot in the grave?

5. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

The current pair has been chewed on by a corgi. (Not that you can tell; I don't care about minor wear and tear and wore them in a comp last weekend. But if she gets at the ankle strap again it'll probably go...) The biggest problem is they're stretched in the heel and too loose so my foot slides in them now. Not really worried about how the flesh color wears-I only use one pair no matter what they look like--I'd rather have black as I like it better and would rather wear black tights, especially for showcases, I'm just worried since they're not the same material they won't break in, or they'll break in too easily and I'll have to replace them faster. It's not a style most vendors carry in black so I haven't seen the material in person.

6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Here's the description at the Supadance site:

http://www.supadance.com/shop-online/ladies-options/ladies-social/style-1534.html

The description says "Available in Flesh or Black Satin", implying that only the color is different, not the fabric. The "black silk" verbiage appears under the "color" selection menu, again suggesting that the difference is only in the color, not the fabric. I think there's a better than 90% chance it's the same fabric in both cases.

danceronice likes this.