General Dance Discussion > Silly things non-dancers say

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by twnkltoz, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bia

bia Well-Known Member

This ties into the dancing-at-weddings theme, too. Our wedding guests were maybe 1/4 dancers (we met at the studio, after all), and most of the non-dancer guests were also happy to dance, but I know at least a few (well, at least one, my aunt, who said so) didn't dance because they thought the dancers would be judging them. That viewpoint really frustrates me. Dancers are the ones who know how much time and effort it takes to dance like we do, and of course we're not going to judge people who haven't put in that time and effort if they don't magically dance as if they have!

2. stash

stash Well-Known Member

^This!

Or like when my cousin got married, I was invited by I wasn't allowed to bring a plus one. And it wasn't a dancers wedding so I didn't have anyone to dance with, and everyone kept coming up to me saying why aren't you dancing...

3. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I've gotten that, too. Um...who am I supposed to dance with?

stash likes this.
  4. DerekWeb

DerekWeb Well-Known Member

No +1, no go!

JoeB and IndyLady like this.
  5. IndyLady

IndyLady Well-Known Member

LOL, there is a major argument about this in my FB feed right now between two of my friends. The single one advocating the above, the about-to-be-married one in full-on "it's my special day and if you refuse to share it b/c you don't get a +1 then #byefelicia" bridezilla mode.

6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, sometimes you gotta draw a line somewhere.

Loki likes this.
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

"Why aren't you asking?" Seriously, I appreciate not allowing people to bring random dates to weddings (serious long-term relationships, the partner's name should be on the invitation) but then if you want people to dance, there's gonna have to be some mingling....

8. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Or people who know more than just jumping around... Like my cousins. Lol. Or the younger ones where dancing is "uncool"

JoeB likes this.
  9. twnkltoz

I can sympathize with the bridezilla here. Weddings are expensive, and if you have to cull your list and not invite someone you know and would want there so someone can bring a random date you don't know. Maybe not even someone particularly close or important to said guest.

danceronice, atk and scullystwin42 like this.
  10. IndyLady

I'm old school, I guess I'm still having a hard time coming to grips with this new etiquette. It probably didn't help that the quote above was pretty much verbatim (including the hashtag - first time anyone I know has actually used that in actual conversation).

11. twnkltoz

I remember having this discussion on the wedding forum when i was planning my 2002 wedding...so it's not *that* new. And not everyone has an issue with it. More people who have large families, I suppose.

12. IndyLady

Interesting, I guess I missed that. I got married a few years after you did and I hadn't seen anything to the contrary, was still running with the assumption that +1's were expected. Wonder what else is going on now that I will be up to speed with in 10 years...

JoeB and RiseNFall like this.
  13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

We can all agree that Facebook is probably the WORST forum for the two to have that debate, right?

...though it does give Zuck and Co some interesting data points to mine.

IndyLady and RiseNFall like this.
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, what if bridezilla knew Felicia was not dating anyone, but Felicia still insisted on bringing a plus-one?

scullystwin42 likes this.
  15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Destination wedding. Those that wants, pays. And if you are absolutely dedicated to getting some poor relative there, you pay their way without announcing it.

If you think pro-am dancing is a racket, take a look at the U.S. wedding industry. Those boys REALLY know how to play people's emotions...

JoeB, j_alexandra, IndyLady and 3 others like this.
  16. IndyLady

Not a non-dancer, but new student after last evening's party: "That waltz you did was amazing."

Thanks, that was a bolero.

Sania, Loki, SwayWithMe and 5 others like this.
  17. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

Good thing he didn't ask you to dance then!

We have two new(er) guys that are at the hopeless level. They could be good, but they're the type that doesn't care. I think that's even worse.

JoeB and IndyLady like this.
  18. IndyLady

Tbh, I didn't figure it all out until I was in my car on the way home. I was initially puzzled, just mumbled thank you... I had danced a waltz and a V. waltz but they were nothing to write home about... I was thinking, what I really nailed was the bolero - instructor and I were practicing upcoming upcoming Showcase routine choreo (there were only a handful of couples on the floor, bolero is not a crowd favorite and the floor tends to empty, esp as there were more new folks than usual last night)... then it sank in...

He and I danced hustle at the very end (which led into this convo), he was decent. If he and his wife/SO can get past the initial sticker shock perhaps we will be dancing at future parties.

19. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

watching DWTS with the sound off is an enlightening experience. Many times you will have no idea at all what dance they may be doing, and many times with the sound on they are trying so hard to match the dance to the obviously wrong music that it looks similar to the situation you are describing.

JoeB, Loki, SwayWithMe and 1 other person like this.
  20. JoeB

JoeB Active Member

That's odd. I learned everything I need to know about playing piano in around 5 hours of lessons; I'm no good at it and don't have room for a piano anyway, and that's all I need to know about it.

Joe, j_alexandra, twnkltoz and 2 others like this.