Simple Spins in Jive

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Purr, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any tips on doing simple spins in jive?

2. redhead

redhead New Member

split simple spin into separate movements and don't start a new movement until previous one is finished; that helps you to not turn your body for balance until it's time to do so = makes it look sharper
    keep your frame to yourself - don't make your partner do double work

3. dave_aw

dave_aw New Member

Some tips on simple spins

Assuming you're doing the chasse version rather than the ronde version...

-*don't* think of it as a spin at all. Its just two steps and a chasse.

- on step one, turn 180 degress, fix a point on the wall (ie spot it). Don't travel this step too far. Ideally think of it more as a replace on the back foot while turning 180 degrees. *don't* throw your upper body into this step - this will totally take you off balance.

- step two, close the feet together and turn 270 degrees on the spot - this step doesn't travel at all (another common mistake). Spot the same piece of wall again, but note that your body hasn't turned as far as your head.

- turn the remaining 90 degrees during the chasse forward, keep spotting the wall, let your body catch up the alignment. Keep the chasse *very* small - in fact it hardly travels more than a few centimetres.

- the whole thing is just step, close, chasses forward. If you _strongly_ check your movement at the end of the last chasse then you should find the 180 degree turn at the start of the next simple 'spin' should be much easier.

- practice doing it by yourself *very* slowly, and then build up speed gradually as long as you can stay on balance. When you get to full speed and join your partner then don't exert any force on them through your hand connection - it won't help either of you - it will throw you off balance.

- the whole movement barely travels at all. The more contained you keep it, the easier it will be. Keep your arms close to you while you turn, this will help with balance.

The most common two mistakes I've seen are travelling too far, throwing the upper body at the step, and trying to turn much too much on the second step.

Hope that helps you!

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Are you asking strictly about the simple spin or the overturned left to right and simple spin? The simple spin is just two steps. The overturned L to R typically preceeds the simple spin.

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm just asking about simple spins. They're part of a practice exercise for jive. The end of the practice exercise includes a triple step into three simple spins in succession and then a multiple spin to exit. There's no ronde in that part of the exercise.

Thank you for the suggestions. Part of the key for me may be a good set up. As I understand it, the feet are in a tight checked position, with the front leg straight and the heel of the back foot off the floor, and body weight is between the two feet. Body weight is then transferred to the back foot with the first 180 degree step.

Another key may be spotting as well. I'm not overly fond of spins, including multiple spins. If I do too many in a short period of time, something close to vertigo sets in.