Swing Discussion Boards > Skippy Blair Intensive

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by vegas4x4, Apr 12, 2007.

1. vegas4x4

vegas4x4 New Member

Has anyone been to any of Skippy Blair's Intensives?

Just curious to hear what your experience was like.

I am thinking of going to Skippy's Intensive in Kona, Hawaii next month.

2. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

3. Dancelf

Dancelf Member

Executive Summary: do it.

I attended her intensive in Atlanta, 2003. Most in attendance were teachers, or those with interest in teaching.

Primary focus of the intensive is her teaching approach - which is to say the style of dance that she thinks works best, and the approach for teaching that style that she has found most effective. Primary focus was on swing, but the method is intended to have wide application.

Swingworld ( http://www.swingworld.com/ ) will give you a decent preview of what is to come; read the description of the intensives, read the articles. Expect most of the time to be spent in the classroom rather than on the practice floor, with many questions being asked during the presentation of the material. Audience will likely be diverse, with regards to their understanding of dancing (and Skippy's own approach) when they come in.

4. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Well, I guess I can be as scholarly as the next person, and heaven knows I am certainly prone to "overthink" at times, but I don't know about spending most of the time in the classroom rather than the practice floor...that really surprises me. I'm a huge admirer of Skippy Blair, but if I ever got to one of her intensives, I would expect to spend most of it actually dancing.

Guess I'd better read your link before I say something really foolish, Dancelf.

5. vegas4x4

vegas4x4 New Member

I went ahead and signed up for her Kona intensive, so I'll be there in about two weeks!

Exciting!

I'll post back when I'm back and try to write a little review.

-Jeff

6. SlowDancer

SlowDancer New Member

Kewl! Can't wait to hear about it.

7. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Thought maybe someone would like to read this blog someone did on Skippy's Intensive.
    Wow, it's been a while since I asked him that question. I plan to reply.

8. snapdancer

snapdancer Well-Known Member

Link???

9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member