Ballroom Dance > Videos > Slavik & Anna

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Masaya, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Man I think the chacha dress would be a cool smooth dress too!

2. CANI

CANI Active Member

I did very much like the moment in rumba at 3:28 when he kissed her on the forehead...that was beautiful and definitely a moment that can pull heart strings...

3. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I'm definitely big on connection towards front, and technique second myself. Least, when I'm watching. For my own dancing, I mainly try for technique.

4. CANI

CANI Active Member

Yes, I agree. And, I'm really no good at identifying good technique...to me, most Latin professional dancers I've seen compete at local comps -- people who probably wouldn't make the quarters at a big US comp, much less worlds, look just as amazing as a Blackpool finalist to me...I, frankly, can rarely tell the difference...but connection...a whole other matter...(partly also driven because I can 'see' myself working hard and improving on technique, but will I ever get connection?...dunno...guess that is why it impresses me so...)

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Had on eof pros asking me what I look for when watching pros, as he was trying to get me to identify styles I like and identify with, so I could try to emulate/adapt the styles myself.

But admitted I was mostly watching for connection. Didn't really help him teach me what he wanted, so I think it annoyed him. :)

6. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

I absolutely love - love - love their rumba!!!! It is so human, so personal - beautiful to watch. She is exquisite, and he shows her off very nicely. Wow!

7. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Thanks for the videos, Masaya. :)

8. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Loved the videos and really loved the rumba. I'm usually not a fan of floating fringe, but I really loved the design of her samba dress. I loved the rumba dress as well.

Dlavik makes even the most difficult patterns look so easy. His body is so quiet most non-dancers would miss how powerful he is, I think.

9. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

I'm really impressed with Anna's ability to power through fast spins and then ground herself and instantaneously soften herself into slooow extended body waves. It's so smooth and fluid. Really a pleasure to watch.

Makes ones own meager talents oh so much more meager. :rolleyes: :D

10. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Albanaich, I can understand that this style of dance is not up your alley, but as someone to whom musicality is almost the be all and end all of dance, you have to admit they've got it in spades.

11. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

Slavik is grotesque. . . . . what he does is just posturing, highly athletic and technical posturing, but just posturiing.

The idea of dance is that it should interpret the music - not wiggle and bump at obvious points in the song.

Erik and Anna as so superior on every level is hard to figure out what you are actually seeing.. . . every movement in that piece by Erik and Anna is not only in alignment with the music, but also the words of the song. The detail and the timing is extraordinary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDtypBWJeUA&feature=player_embedded

Check it out.

Sky 0.30
    Come Along 0.32
    Realise 0.41
    Shooting Star 0.46
    Take my hand 0.49
    Palm of your hand 1.00 and 1.05
    Touch the Stars 1.25
    Ordinary Dream 1.40
    Was it all in my head 1.50
    Take my hand 2.09 and 2.11

And so on - Slavik isn't even close.

You might also compare this, totally improvised on the floor in an informal setting with a strange partner, its another masterpiece. . . . bear in mind she's also hijacking every second move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_17vLycV8

This is dancing - not posturing

This isn't a debate about Slavik's technical ability - that's not in doubt, its what he's doing with that ability - which is next to nothing, and the posturing is so unatural, even ballet looks more natural, and that's about as technical as it gets (contrast Erik and Anna again)

Technique has become an end in itself and actually lost contact with the physical and emotional context with the music.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

okay...let me try this again...I think it important to stick to specific criticisms of his dancing .... it borders on a guideline issue to state that someone is grotesque...we wouldn't allow our members to say that about each other or their dancing...it simply isn't a courteous way to go about discussing an issue

13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I couldn't take my eyes off her dress for the gypsy dance. I usually don't care for fringe but really liked the effect on her shawl. Loved the shawl's color too. Lapis lazuli? I like pronouncing that. :)

14. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

15. fascination

you've made that point.... I made mine...please stick to the details of why you don't care for his dancing and take care to make sure you are characterizing his dancing and not him as a person as we do care to limit inflammatory remarks and yours have been noted now several times so the need to re-iterate them is non-existant...thanks......any other question or comment about this can go to the staff mailbox as per our guidelines...moving right along....

16. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

The beauty of watching different dancers is just that: they are different. Each has his or her own style. I do not see a point of comparing one to another in such an insulting way. Slavik is a legend. He is quite far away from being grotesque. His style may differ. Some people prefer some styles over others. However, in no way is he grotesque! To insult him in such a manner is completely unfounded.

17. fascination

which is why we are now going to drop that duly noted term and move on to specifically addressing elements of his dancing...or...lock the thread...thanks guys

18. Albanaich

Albanaich New Member

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. she has so much power balanced by softness. i find her, for example, to have a much more feminine style than yulia.

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i agree. calling someone's dancing "grotesque" is about as harsh a criticism as it gets. the only word i can think of that would be harsher for someone at slavik's level is "inept".