Tango Argentino > Slipping moves from one dance into another?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by MadamSamba, Jul 14, 2004.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

I know this would common if you dance multiple styles, but because AT is so unique and has such a different hold, once you're in the AT zone, you're in it for good!

I was doing my ballroom tango lesson the other day and was told that some of my moves, particularly ganchos, had a distinctly AT feel. Is it just me or do you find your AT creeping into other styles? What's the weirdest place/dance you've snuck an AT move into?

I tried a voleo in rock 'n' roll the other day. It wasn't disastrous, but it didn't quite fit! :)

2. Cats

Cats New Member

In Salsa I really hate swivels. I just don't like the look of the guy completely stationary while the woman moves around for about a minute. And many times the woman overdoes it and tries to perform moves that may to some look humiliating to the guy. All in the name of fun but it still looks like hell. (One of the many reasons why Salsa is now my second dance.) But the women get a big kick out of it, so I lead swivels.

Sometimes the women want to swivel me! (groan) So
    I do Lapees? (is that how you spell the pencil moves) and some planao's and a few other of men's embellisments but I really don't try to waste too much time doing that stuff.

>^..^<

3. Cats

Cats New Member

There is also a cross body lead in Salsa I do that looks a little like Tango. The Salsa men's cross body lead only requires that the guy get out of the followers way on the first half of the move. One way to do this is to pencil around and hook behind on 123 (LA style Salsa).

>^..^<

4. etchuck

etchuck New Member

I fully admit to mixing figures from one dance into another. I admit that I transport my understanding of various technique that way too. Personally I like that because it gives your dancing that personal style, and you didn't even have to work on it so much.

I have been working on incorporating "Sliding Doors" (gold step in rumba) with my WCS. That's been interesting.

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sliding doors is also a move in ECS. Check out www .bustamove.com free video clips... :)

6. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

"Lápiz".

That's singular, BTW. Plural would be "lápices".

7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

ECS, NC2S, and Cha Cha, but never thought about it for WCS . . . it should work OK . . .

My mix comes when I'm doing Hustle . . . I frequently go into WCS . . . :?

8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

so what is the sliding doors move exactly. can you describe it please?

9. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Wow... thanks for that website reference!

ECS: sliding doors to spin

That wasn't exactly the sliding doors move I had in mind, but I do that particular change-of-place move a lot in my ECS and my WCS. The one I was referring to is a gold rumba ISTD syllabus step. It's not really characteristic of WCS because you bring the lady perpendicular to the slot. But I do like that move that I've been trying to work it in.

10. jon

jon Member

Might run up against the problem that side-by-side is an unnatural position to maintain in WCS for any length of time. Trying to visualize it, if I were R-L side by side with my partner and tried to lead her sideways to swap places, I think it would be natural for her to either spin to her L down the slot, or simply turn 1/4 L and proceed normally down the slot, depending on the strength of the lead.

11. Cats

Cats New Member

I seem to remember sliding doors from when I was trying to learn Hustle.

12. bordertangoman

Come on Madamsamba time to get the whip out, and chase this non-AT discussion out!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

13. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Okay... at least back somewhat to topic. I do notice sometimes there are differences between people who dance ballroom tango who have taken ArT lessons too. Hip swivels definitely look different somehow, not to mention the slower leg wraps that I see more often in ArT than one doesn't really learn in beginner tango classes (definitely not international style).

I did get a nice compliment from one of the people who went to a dance I DJ'ed last weekend who loved the tangos I played because they weren't just standard ballroom tangos; one could really do Argentine styling to it. I definitely was happy to say the least, because the selections did all come from ballroom tango CD's I have, and I do know that generally ArT tangos are just a few bpm faster. But glad to see people really liking to do "tango" rather than just any one locked style. (Of course, we Yanks and Brits bastardized it, so for what that's worth. ;) )

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

okay...here's some tango in salsa, or that's what it looks like to me...

Swivels to Gancho

15. bordertangoman

OK i'm going to learn salsa in september. You salseros watch out BTM is on the war(dance)path!!!!

16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Although I did get it to work last night with my wife, she knew the move was coming, and I previously told her how I was going to take her free arm, let her go out to extension, and get her to go back and forth on count and following what I'm trying to lead . . .

I don't think it's leadable move in WCS, but it could be done for a routine since both dancers would know what it is and when it's coming . . .

17. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

BTM, nah, no need for a whip. Personally I love sliding doors and have seen it danced, though modified, in salsa. I love doing it in both swing and rock 'n' roll... don't know how it would work in tango though! :)

As for you on the salsa path, I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead!

Sagitta, yeah, you're right! I love the ganchos. I'm going to try it tonight...provided I can find a boy who can handle it! :)