Tango Argentino > small community issues

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by spectator, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

"taxi dancers to keep the ladies happy and to encourage beginner leaders to keep coming back. Have any of you lot heard of this being tried and did it make a difference."

I know of at least one town (which shall remain nameless) where the organizers adress this need by having men show up specifically to provide partners where men are in short supply. It's all done sort of "on the sly". These events have continued to be popular for several years, so I guess it must be working.
    To me the term "taxi dancer" implies payment for dance, and the only place I'm sure this goes on is in Buenos Aires, based on my readings. From what I read it is a pretty common thing there.

I have thoughts about how most of us think about paying for things with money, which aren't fully formed and which I should proabably keep to myself.
    You would know best whether such an idea would be accepted in your community. But maybe you don't mean "taxi dancer" in that sense.

Cruise lines have "Gentlemen Host" programs. Cruise in return for dancing with the ladies.
    What can you offer these men? Free lessons? Free admission to the milonga?

One instructor here in Portland allows anyone who has taken one of his classes to take his "Tango from the Ground Up" class free of charge. Having experienced dancers who aren't total beginners in the class is (hopefully) a benefit to those who are complete beginners. But that's a suggestion for teachers, rather than organizers, I guess.

2. Cortado

Cortado New Member

One of the places I used to go to had a free Practica after the lessons and there were always loads of "experienced leaders" who would come after the class to dance with the pretty young beginners. Unfortunately they were not the type that you would like to see dancing with your sister.

3. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Yes, Ceroc do this - they even have a manual - that's what I call organised :)

Taxi dancers are a great way to up retention numbers for new dancers.
    I'm not aware of any other organisation using them.

Taxi-dancers have been used historically in dance halls - there's a Wikipedia description here. And I love this quote:
    Makes me wonder what sexual favours may be expected on the dance floor... :)

4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

:uplaugh:

My father used to talk about such men in dance floors - I wondered if maybe he was one himself for a while - but I had never heard the term 'Taxi dancer'. thats very usefl since the only one I had was 'gigolo' which, depending on the source, generally included favors beyond the floor, ahem, the dance floor.

However, I also see 'Taxi boy' as a male prostitute - according to Wik thats the term in Argentina http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigolo so maybe one should use the term with some caution?

5. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

A milonga can be a place to dance and socialize. It's good when the host sets a positive example in both tone and actions. This can really pay off over time.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I'd like to ba taxi: specifically the cartoon one in Roger Rabbit

7. DancePoet

Didn't allow ladies to ask for dances? :shock:

The "flirt with your eyes" might work in Argentina (does anyone know if they still do that there :?: ), but not in New England. True, maybe as a one time idea for experimenting with cultural tradition sake, yet I'm wondering how this would even work. :roll:

8. DancePoet

My suspicion is ... more than one way. ;)

9. DancePoet

:lol:

Probably not. ;)

10. DancePoet

That's it? :shock:

11. DancePoet

Kind of like what I've heard termed as "dance hosts".

It might be a good idea to have a person or two volunteer for this once in awhile. :cool:

12. DancePoet

Or have folks share this roll on a rotating basis.

13. DancePoet

Hmmm ... not sure I like the idea of having ladies pay a guy for a dance.

Perhaps it could be good to give a guy free entry into the dance in return for his time as a dance host?

14. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Gawd the people round here are real skinflints; I got invited to DJ and still had to pay to get in!

15. DancePoet

Interesting ... so it was orginally something businesses did to attract men. Why am I not surprised. :lol:

16. DancePoet

Ayuh, "dance host" seems like an improvement. :cool:

17. DancePoet

:lol:

What an entertaining movie that was, haven't seen it in a very long time. Need to look it up sometime soon, and watch it again. :cool:

18. DancePoet

Sheesh. :roll: When we have a teacher help with the complimentary lesson, or a person dj, or even someone who co-ordinates the food, we let them in to the milonga for free. Seems like a no brainer to me.

19. Hock Siew

Hock Siew New Member

I guess the `leader` does influence the environment (although, certainly, the dancers themselves should play a part). Here in Kuala Lumpur, our local teacher cum DJ will always walk over and introduce herself, if she sees someone new show up at the venue. She will talk to them and make them feel at home. If they haven`t already met the other dancers, she will also introduce them to us. I guess it helps that the other dancers here are friendly as well. But without her, the scene here might probably not have survived (there are very few dancers here to begin with - just enough to keep going).

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

BTM, but I would just have said, no thanks and gone home. Thats just plain abusive.