Ballroom Dance > Small Competitions - What is the Value?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Apr 22, 2003.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

They'll divide the floor in half and some events will dance on "ballroom A" and others on "ballroom B". Each side will get their own set of judges.

IndyLady likes this.
  2. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

The ballroom is divided into an A side and a B side, and two events are run simultaneously. You dance your routine on half of the floor. I especially hate this in open smooth, it is downright dangerous.

3. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't see this before I posted!!!

4. jiwinco

jiwinco Active Member

Yes! Could not agree more!

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

For what it's worth: Any comp that does this for open anything immediately gets crossed off my 'will attend again' list. Where I don't have an issue (or at least not a big one): early syllabus anything (beginner, pre-bronze, even bronze), syllabus latin or rhythm, juveniles any style up to pre-champ, solo latin.

I feel like everything else simply moves too much, unless your floor is the euro WDSF standard or bigger, or simply deserves to be the focus.

6. JudeMorrigan

I had them for silver smooth a few years back. That's at least syllabus, but silver smooth is fairly serious bidness these days. The funny thing was, I did a better job with my navigation on the split floors than I did in the scholarship later that day. My instructor was bemused and baffled. I found it somewhat less remarkable. You see, the split floors were a *lot* closer to the size of the studio where I did most of my practicing. I was *used* to have to do silly amounts of curving.

(I still consider split floors to be a pretty serious downside though. At least let us use the whole floor even if we have to start on a specific half of it, plzthx.)

Borazine, IndyLady and FancyFeet like this.
  7. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Yeah, practice religiously on a studio floor that's half a comp floor and when you first see the comp floor there's a moment of "WTH is this?"

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  8. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I know where he's talking about... open right, open left, you're at the wall! That is, when you have legs as long as JM... :D At least it's not the place in Hattiesburg where you have to weave in and out of a line of pillars. Seriously, I have to say that I am pretty displeased at having to dance silver smooth on a split floor... for some reason, it makes everyone pile up on the short walls.

9. Lai Lai

Lai Lai Member

I don't remember ever seeing a split floor. Only combining A, B, and even C of different categories all together in one heat to give you an illusion of competing.

10. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Seems like I saw that happened more on the East Coast.

11. MaggieMoves

MaggieMoves Well-Known Member

I absolutely DESPISE when organizers do this. A friend of mine takes lessons & does competitions at a well known chain studio which has done this at both of the competitions I've went to see her dance at. Even in Latin/Rhythm I find it intolerable. In Standard/Smooth I might consider scratching myself from the heat(s). This goes for any competition.

I'd still rather have this than a split floor.

Back on topic, there are some smaller competitions I've absolutely loved. There's definitely a lot more personal attention, and some of them aren't even that "small" in the NYC area.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

It is, in fairness, actually a very nice floor. :)

cornutt likes this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

probably be cause they are ALL short walls when the floor is split. LOL

cornutt likes this.
  14. Larinda McRaven

It happens when organizers are under pressure to manage a schedule that was assumed off of previous years entires ... but it totally not doable with this years reality. Believe me no organizer does it because they want to. They do it because they will be fined by the NDCA if the actual schedule falls outside of certain boundaries the NDCA has set forth for them. The last time I danced on was in San Diego. But they happen with equal rarity no matter where I am judging.

15. Larinda McRaven

Except that the NDCA has guidelines on how many 'events' can be run in one heat simultaneously on a floor, and how many competitors can even be on a floor. And that is for YOUR benefit. If there are too many couples on the floor for me to look at you can bet my time spent watching any one couple is severely impacted. So competitors will receive a more thorough assessment when the number of judges increase but the amount of competitors they have to be responsible for decreases. So you really are better off on a split floor, instead of cramming an stupid amount of people into the same space, as far as being judged is concerned.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Mr 4 styles and Dance Redeemer like this.
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So does a floor that's smaller than 72x60 and split into two meet the minimum floor size rule?

17. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

Very much so... Minimum size is 60x36 or 2160 square feet (66x42 for championship). The rules specifically allow splitting the floor to multiple sections no smaller than 1080 square feet each. The limitations are that there must be no more than 8 couples per split section (with some exceptions, it could be up to 10), as many judging panels as sections, and at least two scrutineers with computers.

It is of course pretty unreasonable for 8-10 couples to dance silver smooth on a 30x36 floor, but I expect the odds of such an occurrence is extremely unlikely.