Dance Ads > Smooth dress wanted

Discussion in 'Dance Ads' started by standardgirl, Apr 27, 2007.

1. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

so....switching, temporarily (hopefully just temporarily...hehe ;) ) from standard to smooth and just realized that none of my standard dresses will work for my first ever smooth comp in 2 weeks (I am a big float lover!). Would be happy to rent a dress for a weekend in May (May 11 to 12th). Or, if I really like the gown and the price, I may very well buy it instead! :D

Size: us 10 (or 8 if strechy), 5'5".

Please PM me of reply to this msg.

2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

wow.... the floats are so inextricably attached that you can't temporarily remove them? I have a few Smooth gowns that might work. Will PM you about pics later tonight.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as I said, me too...I have about uh, 3 that i would be willing to rent or sell...look in my gallery...the red, the dark blue, or the dark green...the floats detach on all three

4. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

One dress has floats that I may be able to remove, but there are other problem with that dress (aka, I am actually trying to sell that particular dress since the cups are slightly too high for me, and that would totally show in a smooth situation when I don't have the protection being in a closed position...)

The other 3 gowns that I currently have, no, there is no way to remove the floats.....one of them has a small float that's part of the right sleeve... I can't even raise my right arm all the way up with that thing being there. And since it's part of the sleeve, I really can't remove it. The other two dresses would both look really weird (would ended up being a dress with just a thin strap on the shoulder), if I cut off all the floats circling around the dress.....so I don't think it would work.......

btw, I will post pictures of my standard dresses, maybe someone creative will be able to figure out how to work them out....

5. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

click to enlarge.

Here is the first one without floats (this is why it doesn't work)
    [​IMG]

With float
    [​IMG]

second one, where the "float" is part of a sleeve....
    [​IMG]
    I even still have the original tag on the dress....brand new....................

6. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

third one, where the float is like a pacho.....and nothing left is removed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

Hey, SG, long time, no see! Are you and TB doing the South Bend competition? Fascination will be there, too, and I'm hoping LW and I will be spectators. If you haven't met Fascination yet, I'll try to keep an eye out for both of you so I can do the introduction.

Good luck with the dress issue.

-IJ

8. fascination

if you are at great race I will be there the whole time and you can rent anything I own, or buy some of it

9. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Yep, we are, except I don't have a dress.....
    Hopefully I will see you there and can meet with fascination! That would be really exciting after meeting a lot of folks on the east coast in 2005. It would also be our first ever competition and of course, my first ever competition in smooth!

10. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I think the white one looks OK without the float/poncho. You can always stone the straps if you think it would look better that way, but I don't think it's really necessary. Have you tried dancing Smooth with the poncho in place? The pink one with the cup issue -- do the cups sit too high because the straps are too short, and if so, can you lengthen the straps? It's beautiful.

11. Indiana_Jay

Good luck with the comp. I know, of course, that your pro is an expert on smooth, but I assumed he'd also be able to dance standard with you. Interesting.

Fascination is as sweet in person as she is online. You'll enjoy meeting her.

How'd round one of your exam go? Are you spending a lot of your "free" time preparing for round two? Is that why we haven't seen you since New Year's Eve?

-IJ

12. fascination

thank you IJ...you will be there right?...I am dancing all 4 styles...I will be there the entire time, fri eve til saturday dinner...which I will probably skip and go home...will see

13. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

I passed round1, but the tough one is coming up on 5/11, the day before the comp....not the best timing for the comp, I guess...but what else could I do....

14. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

the pink one is not the one with the cup issue. I didn't post pictures of the one with the cup issue. The pink one has that mesh on the right sleeve that's actually part of the sleeve, so it cannot be removed. And I can't raise my arm higher than the standard position (it pulls way too much in the sleeve.....)

15. fascination

Great Race is a tiny friendly little comp...at least is was last year...it has a much more relaxed and supportive environment than most....it will be fine

16. Indiana_Jay

I hope we'll be there for most of the day Saturday. Depends on what LW feels like doing that day. The original plan was for me to come alone, because LW was to have a musical theatre gig that day... a matinée and an evening show. But we just found out that because of the way the show is scored, they won't need her after all.

If we make it, you can bet we'll look for you.

-IJ

17. Indiana_Jay

Congratulations on round one and good luck on the tough round. With your brains, I'm sure you'll do well!

-IJ

18. standardgirl

standardgirl New Member

Thats good to know so that at the very least, I won't freak out at my first even smooth comp.....;) you know, dancing in open positions and spinning around on the floor for a standard dancer is not the most fun thing to do.

19. fascination

I will be rooting for you....

20. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

This is the pink one I meant (sorry, should have said fuchsia ;)). I think it still looks OK without the drape.