Smooth Dresses

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Nov 3, 2008.

1. gracie

gracie Active Member

Very pretty. Is the accent color blue?
  2. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

it's mint green.
  3. chachachikka

chachachikka New Member

Mermaid Skirts

Yes, I believe that smooth skirts should look more figure flattering. I am not a fan of the large circle skirts that fly up when I spin. My favorite dress I ever wore for smooth was a very tight fitting around the hips and thighs that hugged partially down to my knees and then really flared out at the bottom, like the Mermaid Skirt effect, but with more wide legged opening up top. It was a great skirt because it felt like it really hugged my upper legs, but still allowed me to take a nice huge step. It hugged down a little further than that skirt in Larinda's picture, and didn't fly up quite as high but still out as much. When I spin I don't like to look like I'm wearing a very long tutu, but rather still show the feminine curves in my whole body as I'm turning. It makes me look longer and taller (and I'm short!) cuz those circle skirts make me look instantly shorter when I spin.

I'm also a fan of matching arm bands for smooth gowns so to draw attention to my arms that also do movements that add to the overall dancing and visual. I hate gloves because they are just a pain to put on and wear and give me a different feel than all those practicing times without gloves, even if I prep the whole week before with gloves in practice, it just feels cumbersome.
  4. WestCoastWoman

WestCoastWoman New Member

Length/hemline for smooth dress

I need to hem a dress to wear for a smooth comp. Where should the hemline be in relation to the floor?
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Welcome to DF WestCoastWoman! there are plenty of threads regarding costumes, hems, etc - use the search bar and type in your item question.
    As for me, in smooth, I perfer not to step on my dress as I lower, Ankle length is perfect for me.:nope:
  6. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

The rep from the last dress company I bought from told me they usually hem to around the ankle bone.
  7. bia

bia Well-Known Member

8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

*grin* so nice to see people stepping in to help TC (and our other members) out with the links....thanks bia!
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Just make sure you measure the hem while wearing your dance shoes. Otherwise you might be re-hemming at the last minute. (Ask me how I know.)
  10. Ron

Ron New Member

I will second that danceronice. Please wear your dance shoes when your designer is getting ready to mark the hem. And no, standing on your toes and guessing your heel height does not work. Shoes please.
  11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Bump! Quick question - got a new smooth dress, the designer added three armbands (wrist, elbow, bicep) per arm, each with a handkerchief float. I was planning to remove all of the floats and just use the armbands, but I'm wondering if I can get away with maybe one float at the wrist or on the bicep? (Sigh, i should really just do standard, since I love that dress style). let me know if i need to add a pic.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

depends on your routine...and level...usually those small floats are fine for syllabus...just dance in it w/ your pro and see if it is disruptive