Dancers Anonymous > Snow Storm

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Wow! Can't believe what I woke up to. I mean, I knew it was going to snow....but sheesh! I will have to get out and take some pictures later. Right now, the snow is almost 1/2 way up my front door (most of this is probably due to drift...but, still!!). I can't see the swings on my kids swing set.

How's everyone else doing??? Let's keep our fingers crossed we don't lose power!

FYI....I live on the North Shore, north of Boston.....

2. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Ayuh, we got wacked. 8)

3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The newscasters are saying it's predicted to be the worst storm since the blizzard of '96. (Dramatic, aren't they? :wink: ) I'm not up north for this storm, but the Blizzard of 1996 was a doozy. I remember that well. I was already living in Florida, but had to be in Philly for my sister's wedding. Got to bed around 1:00 AM, and by the time I woke up at nine, there was a foot of snow on the ground, with more coming fast. I think Philly got 30 inches that time, and it wasn't as hard-hit as some places.

Hang in, you Northeast DFer's. I'll have a cup of hot chocolate and think of you... :?

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Just be careful. I remember the really bad blizzard in Boston, I think it was back in 1976, when there ended up being 3+ feet of snow... definately time to banton down the hatches!

5. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

It is pretty funny watching my little dog try to make her way through the drifts to find a place to potty...she looks like a rabbit. Hopping up, landing, looking for the direction of her next hop, one hop at a time. Then suddenly she disapears completely under the snow and shows up somewhere else. :lol:

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

The legend in my dorm was that the manager with the keys to the toilet paper closet couldn't get in for several days. Of course, locksmithing is a common subject of unofficial study at that school, so I imagine they didn't get to the point of tearing up textbooks.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

A little scary driving up the hill to church today morning. That was with new snow tires!! Am okay and at work now...

8. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

Dogs in the snow are great! I used to throw snowballs to my dog as if I were throwing a tennis ball and playing fetch. But the snowball disappeared in the snow which completely dumbfounded my dog. So he'd start looking for it and once in a while look at me. :lol:

9. mamboqueen

Your dog isn't white, is she, Larinda???

30" in my area. I'm trying to convince my husband to snow blow a maze through the back yard. So far, he aint biting!

Off to make some chicken soup!

10. DancePoet

Sounds very cute and funny! :lol:

11. Larinda McRaven

she is white and red
    [​IMG]
    I wish I could have found my camera for her today...

12. DancePoet

Two cuties in one picture! ;)

13. DancePoet

It's 9:30pm and I still hear the plows rumbling.

14. mamboqueen

Cute, Larinda. Will she get much bigger??? I'm all for the ones that don't get to be horse-sized.

15. DancePoet

:lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Larinda McRaven

Nope, this is it, nice and small and completely portable. If I had a house and yard with a regular homelife I would love a horse of a dog but she is perfect for us right now.

17. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

'78. Four feet of snow in eight hours. That was enough that the snowplows got stuck, and fast enough that they didn't have time to make preliminary passes to get ahead of the game (though the incompetence of the Dukakis administration may have had something to do with the latter). People were using cross country skis in Cambridge for a week - 'cause there certainly weren't any motor vehicles getting through.

I saw some cross country skis on Massachusetts Avenue in Cambridge again today, but it was pretty well plowed and there were a few cars as well. It took about 20 hours to accumulate about 30 inches. Not nearly as bad as '78, maybe a little worse than '96, if that's the correct year.

Some pictures we took before digging out are at:

http://www.powderhouse.com/~wdew/personal/snowstorm20050123

You can tell there was a lot of wind from the wide variations in the depth of the snow.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

All I can say is, tire chains are truly wondrous things.

Although they are rather noisy. :)

19. DancePoet

Warren, your pictures were priceless! :lol:

20. DancePoet

Sounds like a responsible attitude. I know these folks that have this big dog that they have in a small appartment, and it just doesn't feel right. They let him run outside in this very small yard, but it would be so much better for him if he had more room to play and explore.