Salsa > Snow

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by BrookeErin, Dec 22, 2004.

1. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

I'm bummed.... I was going to go check out a new club tonight AND meet up with a new DF friend (who hasn't posted yet) but I've been snowed in. I normally work on Wednesday nights AND THursday mornings, so I don't go out on Wednesday's but I get this week and next off for Christmas. So I can check that club out next week. BUT they've cancelled the salsa events for Thursday and Saturday... Friday is Christmas Eve and I'm not big on that club, so there may be no salsa for me this week. I'll have to make up for lost time next week.

2. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

Ohhh man, I'm feeling your pain right about now. My instructor is going home for Christmas tomorrow morning so tonight was my last night of dancing with him, and the only studio having a party between now and when he returns is on Christmas night! I can't really see myself going out on Christmas, which is I'm sure what most people are thinking so there would be no one there to dance with anyways.

Yes, I definitely think I'm going to need therapy after a week of no dancing :lol:

3. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

No problem. Clear out the biggest room at your place, crank the tunes, and dance!

"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow."

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Bummer. :(

I'm hoping that I can get something sorted for tonight so I can go dancing. If not, the next opportunity is Boxing Day (unless I can persuade my friend for a bit of dancing in my kitchen tomorrow night :roll:).

Talking of tomorrow night, they are forecasting snow/sleet showers -- I hope the trains will run okay.

5. tj

tj New Member

Saw it on the news - that's a lot of snow! :shock:

Hope everyone's ok and all that was lost was a few nights of salsa.

6. DancePoet

No need to persuade me at all! :D

Is dancing only permited in your kitchen? ;)

7. BrookeErin

BrookeErin New Member

Well, they cleared the major roads around me, so I was able to make it to a wine tasting at a friend's place last night. Afterwards, we danced for a while, so I suppose I got a bit of a fix to last me until Wednesday.

8. Salsaonone

Salsaonone New Member

Snow??? hmm....snow..snow...hmmm....sorry don't know that word...I do know 121 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius).....but snow?? hmm...must be some bizzare space time anomoly....If you can dance on it, then its all good....when its 121, you can sink into the asphalt....

9. DancePoet

Dancing on snow! Sounds like something I need to try.

Ah, I can imagine it now. It's early Christmas morning, everyone is at home snuggled in bed, or if they have kids, arising earlier then they'd prefer to shouts of joy, and presents being unwrapped. Meanwhile, in another corner of the world, the snow is falling, with just enough covering the ground and coating the trees to make a winter wonderland perfect for dancing Foxtrot to holiday tunes, "over the fields and through the woods to grandmother's house we go". :D

Oh to have someone to dance with on Xmas!

10. tacad

tacad New Member

:lol:

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Nice.

12. DancePoet

Thank you! :D

13. jamaicanspice

jamaicanspice New Member

I can SO identify with this :lol: :lol: I live in the tropics so no snow for me either.....matter of fact the roads were so clear Thursday night when I sent salsa dancing :D AWESOME night by the way!!!!!

14. DancePoet

Ah ... you know it's snowing when all you hear is the sound of rumbling plow trucks. :)

15. tacad

tacad New Member

It's raining here in SoCal. We don't know what to do. We stay in our homes, huddled up, afraid to go outdoors.

16. tj

tj New Member

I would normally think you're just kidding, except that one of my friends who moved here from Santa Barbara was scared to go out one night because it was raining here! :shock:

17. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I don't think he is kidding . . . I was watching the news/weather report last night and this morning . . . all those poor stranded motorists in the LA area. :shock:

Yep, they got stranded (car died, wouldn't re-start) after they had to drive through 6 to 12 inches of rain puddles . . . :oops:

I feel sorry for them!!!!!!!! :cry:

What dummies . . .

18. tj

tj New Member

Oh jeez!

In Colorado, there was a massive downpour this one time, and a few cars got stranded when that "puddle" they tried to drive thru ended up being 4-5' deep! :shock:

19. ReneeJoan

ReneeJoan New Member

Morning all.

I was out driving last night, and this morning, and it was scary. I'm from Seattle and Colorado, and a little bit of moisture does not intimidate me, but this rain last night, yesterday, and today was borderline vicious. In Seattle, it just gets soppy. This morning, the rain wasn't just falling. It felt like it was being machine-gunned down from the sky. And our freeways are not properly grooved for rain drainage like they are in Seattle. It's really creepy when you start to hydroplane and can no longer feel the road. This morning, all of a sudden I noticed I was drifting in my lane. I tried to straighten my wheels and the car didn't respond. I tried to slow down and began fishtailing in my lane. I've had this happen going 15 mph on ice and snow in Colorado. Going 60 mph with very poor visibility and 50 semi-tractor trailer rigs around you, and suddenly realizing you are gliding across a sheet of water unable to steer or stop, there are only two words for it -- OH so what!!

Plus, most of our city streets and freeways do not handle the sudden deluge of rain. If it will only stop, within ten minutes the freeways will be dry, and the streets will drain without 30, but as long as its raining so hard and so fast our city streets are flooded, which wets your brakes. And Californians are insane enough to keep driving at 75 mph even when mist and fog mean you can't see two car lengths in front of you. My windshield wipers on "furious" couldn't keep my windshield clear.

Last night, our tango class and milonga had about half its usual attendance, but I didn't blame anyone for not wanting to drive. As I was driving home last night at midnight, hydroplaning almost the whole way, 3 miles from my exit the freeway came to a complete dead stop. Obviously, somebody'd gotten into trouble and the CHP had completely closed the freeway. I sat there for half an hour, trying not to fall asleep in my car, mesmerized by my wipers and the warmth of the heater. Why in the world was I even out in that weather? Three reasons, I'm hopelessly devoted to Felix (my teacher), without my tango life is without worth or meaning, and (as I have been trying to explain to tacad with little success) tango people are completely, unreservedly NUTS!!

20. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

That's what I was comparing those idiots from LA to . . . I can see 4 to 5 feet of water and getting stranded, but 6 to 12 inches of water? Come on . . . give me a break!