Salsa > So how many salsa moves (patterns) do you know???

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by ChicagoSalsero, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Thank you.

2. mygoldfish

mygoldfish New Member

I think the exact definition of a "figure" or "pattern" is very relevant to this conversation...or maybe just a side note, but here's my thinking:
    When I first started learning salsa (which happened to be Cuban), as we learned more and more moves, I noticed that a lot of them are just other moves built upon each other. For example, the first move we were taught was "dame," basically a cross-body lead, and the second move we learned was enchufla, which includes a turn followed by a cross-body lead - a turn followed by a dame. This is a very basic example, but it repeated itself throughout my time taking classes there: a new move would include a little bit of new motion following or followed by one or more figures we'd already learned.

Similarly, from what I've observed/experienced, a large part of social dancing (specifically, leading) is creativity, which taps into what I just described: Just because you have only been taught to do this set of steps in these sequences doesn't mean you can take elements of each move you know and mix them into other moves, thereby creating your own.

For these reasons, I don't think I would put a number on the moves I've learned - not only because that would require a whole lot of thinking, but because I don't feel it necessary to limit myself in that way. There's so much you can do with so little in a great dance like salsa, and I would hate to try to fence it in.

3. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I dont know how your response, was anything to do with my reply to the posters question. Did I imply, anywhere that, there was a set sequence ? . And, what you were taught, has little relevance, to the confusion, and question, in his mind.

And, dance is ALWAYS about " thought "; without "it" ,we would be stuck in the same repetetive sequnces !

4. Turbo

Turbo New Member

I know about 50, but most of the time I dance about 20 of them.