General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

If thats the case then OK but I surely don't understand it. We put all this effort into preparing for competitions and discussing how to improve our dancing etc etc with this goal - and then for some reason feel uncomfortable with sharing the results. I've seen the arguments about people who do not do so well being embarrassed or something but we have no problem with listing the reults for pros or ams at the top levels, whether they do well or not. Must say I'm confused as to the objective or the outcome of the silence, Its obviously everyone's individual choice but I really do not understand.

2. waltzguy

waltzguy Active Member

Did show dances yesterday! And some fun social dances.

Mind was on auto-pilot. Just let it all go.

3. elisedance

elisedance New Member

and how did it ;)

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, i know...i'm of the same mind. we've discussed this before on that thread. but there are other views on the matter which make the sharing of that information feel awkward, at least for me. i'm fine with how it is...there are other ways to share results with friends.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sam...it is an individual choice...you should not feel awkward if you want to post and share

6. fascination

no...I practice in my home ...but I will enjoy a party there from time to time and possibly a group lesson on occasion.... my dh may well take some lessons there soon...but one cannot put the genie back in the bottle...I will always treasure what happened there but ...well...no...having said that, I am still greatly heartened to see it shift into a new direction...and quite happy for many of my friends who will be dancing there...

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i made my individual choice and i don't feel awkward about it. :)

8. fascination

he is a good friend of my FP and a very talented dancer...both formerly out of my original studio...he will be returning in April, as he does yearly, to give a workshop and I look forward to that

9. fascination

fair enough...I just wouldn't want others to misunderstand DF's position...which is "knock yourself out...post away...just respect that some other individual might want to keep their results ...good or bad...to themselves for a variety of reasons that they don't need to explain to their fellow members"...and that is not at all the same as the posting results, as a service to our members, of well known high profile persons who can't possibly think their results would be kept private since they are a matter of public record anyhow and those persons aren't also anonymous on this board...at least not that we know of...that is all

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

of course. i don't think i suggested anything otherwise. only referred to what was at one time a lengthy discussion where the predominant attitude on that thread was a feeling of some awkwardness about hearing of others' placements -- some posters not sure what to say, what was meant, how to take, and such. after that, it just felt right to me not to post my results.

this is not a big deal from my perspective.

11. fascination

was referring to ee's post on some of it...just for clarity to others

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

gotcha. good point to make clear.

13. fascination

I do not recall folks feeling awkward about hearing other's placements only about many folks preferring not to share their own...and not to volunteer info about others around here who may have prefferred otherwise...but it is good of you to be sensitive

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

there was definitely awkwardness expressed, but IAE i was left with a feeling of not having a meeting of minds, of being in the minority WRT the spirit behind sharing results. one shares when there is receptivity, interest, or some kind of meeting of minds, or at least where there is a general shared spirit on a topic.

anyway, i'm in a different place right now. it served its purpose for me at the time. i really enjoyed it and still support the idea of having a place where people can share & track their progress freely.

15. fascination

well, as I said, my understanding was that there was alot of support for those who did post their results...alot of support and kudos...just some folks who preferred not to ...and that thread is still available for anyone who does choose to use it if they are in that space, FTR...

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

nice to know. i hope DFers will share there...

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

time heals all... I hope you and your wonderful DH (give him a hug from me ;)) may find it a place to hang out again - in time....:cool:

18. fascination

would there be a reason to give my dh a big hug from you?

19. fascination

did you not find that oodles of people chimed in to congratulate you?...It seemed to me there were many many who did so:confused:

20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

oh, my goodness...that was never an issue! i always felt supported in that way!!!