General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Sorry, I'm still confused. I have continued to post my results on that thread (sadly, mostly to a vaccum). how can posting that I came 2nd out of 6 couples hurt anyone else as long as I did not mention any names?

I understand Sams resevation and I might have had the same if I had taken the critique ther to heart. Howver, I think DF is reallly loosing out.

Nonetheless, I will keep up the habit ;)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there is no problem with that AT ALL...and df is not loosing it...

3. fascination

perhaps you might want to re-read my past several posts....

4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

keep it up, ee. i always enjoying hearing about the journey. that's what i value about that thread...supporting the journey.

5. fascination

and one posts into a vacuum on lots of threads if one posts as often and as widely as some of us

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

THat's only becvause some of us post too much. :)

7. fascination

correct...and it doesn't mean that df is losing it because no one posts on the "what are you wearing " thread....people are different...some folks don't care to log their meals either...that folks are different is no reason to pass a judgement on them or on DF as a whole...it's just silliness

8. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i think i understand what elise is trying to say...i also felt that there was a bit of a loss because of the lack of participation. as i said, this was discussed candidly on the thread.

to some, sharing results is just that, sharing results. to others, it is loaded with other concerns. many don't want to share because of that, and that's certainly fine. but i didn't get the feeling that it was just about making one's own personal decision. as i said, there was some awkwardness expressed about the discussion of placement...

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

lol...true

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

just to be clear, she said losing *out*. that's a different sentiment. i recall expressing something along the same sentiment at the time this came up before.

11. fascination

hmmm...well, I can't speak for what is in anyone else's head, I only know that for myself and for one other person I know who guards their privacy even more than I do, it is more a matter of not wanting to focus on results (for ourselves and only ourselves) because they have limited and varied meaning...they can also be diminished and or blown out of perspective and take our eye off of what is real...sort of like what level one dances or with whom one dances, and so I just prefer to share in a different way...but again, opinions are a dime a dozen and vary widely and that is a good thing ...

there are also lots of threads that are started and are sadly lost due to lack of interest...like LG's goal setting thread...excellent thread, no one wanted to play...she isn't casting aspersions on Df for it's demise

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i don't hear anyone casting aspersions on DF, fasc.

what is different about this particular subject is that, no matter how it was couched, i did get a sense that some feel uncomfortable about discussing placement because it sounds a bit like bragging...or perhaps a placement was good but the dancing was not and some DFers had complicated reactions about that (what does one say, what does that mean, who cares about the placement anyway...) it's just a loaded topic. not in *my* mind, i *like* to hear about these details and don't feel complicated about it.

but on a subject that has already been discussed as being ripe for misunderstanding...meh...doesn't really appeal to me get into it.

but i wish it were different. i feel it would be a *gain* (rather than "loss") to the DF culture if it were not such a loaded subject, and so more would participate... i *love* to hear the arc of someone's competitive journey!

13. fascination

to say that Df is really losing it is casting an aspersion...

beyond that, it can be discussed but it is complicated because results have meanings that are complicated...anyone in competitive dance knows that...it is a measure of somethings some times and isn't a measure of anything sometime...but certainly it can be discussed by those who choose to find it valuable...again, that folks feel discouraged to do so here is unfortunate but not, in my view, a cause to abstain from discussing it if they wish ...b/c there are at least two of you who would like to ...anyhow, enough said...at least from me for the time being

14. samina

samina Well-Known Member

she said DF was losing *out*. that is not an aspersion. it sounded to me like regret...that she wishes for more of a particular kind of dialogue.

to be candid, having read thru large pieces of the results thread, i can see that the majority of the results posted were my own. my choosing to no longer post results there could be a part of what she is referring to... the thread as it was now prospectively losing a significant portion of energy & dialogue. unless others begin to add their own. i know that elise is of like mind on that subject and enjoys the arc of results as i do. to my mind it would be a gain rather than a losing out if others would share.

anyway, i'm done with the subject as well. for now. :)

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

So basically it's your fault that thread died? ;)

16. fascination

I stand corrected on the losing "out", not the losing "it"...clearly I am losing "it"...it being my eyesight....anyhow, DF will lose or gain what it collectively loses or gains as people make their choices...who knows? some big comp may come along and a bunch of folks will want to pour over their results...it may happen...though they will probably start a whole new thread on it

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

not exactly...:rolleyes:

but read the thread and tell me how many others regularly posted their results? i often felt disappointed that it felt like the "samina's posting her results and now everyone come & congratulate her" thread. which is in no way shape or form how i felt about posting my results. i wished very much for others to share similarly.

when people finally came forward and shared some of their discomfort with the subject, it confirmed what i already felt.

(<-----here's me, still talking on the topic...:rolleyes:)

18. etp777

etp777 Active Member

heh, pretty sure I posted every time I competed after thread was started. of course, that was only one competition. :)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

*grin*

20. fascination

sure, it was alot like that...you and ee were primarily the two getting into it, but that doesn't mean it was of no value or unwelcome, folks were happy for you....not many folks decided to do a comp nearly every week so it was bound to look like that for a while...

lol... other folks also said at the inception that they just preferred to talk about their results on the relevant comp thread which was another reason it never really took off...while others prefer to fly under the radar altogethr...shrug...sadly, as I am sure you are aware, DF cannot be all things for any of us....there are a myriad of things I wish I could discuss here but can't...I doubt DF is worse off for that...I also think that there are lots of implications regarding results that if isolated and broken off into smaller threads would make for loads of interesting dialogue...and I further think that that particular thread may still see the light of day again...look at the cleavage thread, just when you think you've buried it...