General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 8, 2006.

1. etp777

etp777 Active Member

lol fasc, I always know you'll instantly appeear eveyr time it resurfaces just to make sure us kids are behaving. :)

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

there is a reason that some of us have very high post counts...

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

that was for etp. i went back and added his quote to be clear. :)

i agree. reading thru it a bit made me appreciate it as i did last year. i do hope others pick it up!

as i stated a couple times in that thread, i love the documenting aspect of it, that one can see how one has progressed over time. and for other dancers, it is an excellent point of reference. to my mind, can be very encouraging to see what can be accomplished within one year. and it can also be a reality check regarding what it takes to progress.

and there's all the attending discussion surrounding everything that comes up. such an engaging thread... i just don't like feeling like the center of it. it's not really "sharing" then.

4. fascination

well keep hope alive...for my part, I like to track progress in a different way...but I do think there is great value in having a place to share results for those for whom that is of benefit...

5. samina

samina Well-Known Member

well, you definitely have a point there, lol. it was a comp-heavy year for a while there!

6. etp777

etp777 Active Member

I definitely like it, and like tracking both by individual comp threads and the results thread. Just like I like having my notes organized chronologically and just by dance.

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

i'll light a candle. ;)

8. elisedance

elisedance New Member

gee, I go away for an hour and LOOK what happens - and I could have had an extra 15 posts :rolleyes: ;)

Thanks for clarifying for me Sam (and fasc for going back to look) - you are exactly right, I was not casting aspersions on DF at all. My comment was in the context of the amount of posts we have here on competition, practise, lessons, makeup, strategy for improvement, dealing with coaches etc etc it is odd that we seem to discourage the object of these excercises - the outcome of competition. In that context I felt that DF was loosing out on the climax as it were of the effort - what was the results? How are you doing and can you improve? Note that most of my posts on the 'resutls of DFers' thread are ones where I came in in the lower third - with that context the occasional one in the upper third can hardly be seen as bragging. Besides, once you manage to win one catagory you end up in the next level - back in the lower third again!

The other weird thing is that the same results are often posted elsewhere - does anyone complain when Supershag posts results of pro/am comps and with photos. If its such a big issue, why aren't all the 'losers' complaining to them? Lets face it the whole point of dancesport is to win - we celebrate wins and we commiserate/encourage losses. IMO anything else is fake.

I am sorry, but I was left the impression that the reason that particular thread ran into the wall of critique that it did (which successfully killed it) was less related to its subject and more to the person that started it. :(

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

what a great way to put it..."losing out on the climax" of all that effort!

i felt sensitive to the bragging bit because i was progressing rapidly and often placing well, even tho my dancing still sucked, lol...

10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Heh, my placings have never lent to bragging, so no worry there. :) Can see plaque from here that's 90%+ 2nds, and only one first. And considering there was only two of us in my age division, well... :)

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Big congrats Sam ;) Spectacular results of you know what ;) ;)
    (wink wink).
    :D

12. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Ah, so thats the solution.

You are right, I made a mistake - I should have named that thread:
    'Loosing results of DFers'. ;) Imagine the response... :eek:

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

LOL....am totally cracking up...

yes, i could hold a parade. :)

14. fascination

I don't think anyone felt that anyone else was bragging, nor do I think that anyone had a problem with the thread, hence it's continued existence...anything else I might say on the subject would be a repetition of what I have previously said...certainly my participation in it has not varied based upon whether or not my marks were good or bad...lastly, viewpoints about the thread had nothing to do with the originator...when we have a problem with a person or an entity, we let them know directly, whether it be you or SS or any other person or entity (um, we aren't particularly shy about that) ...and perhaps that is another reason why folks ought not take the attrition of the thread so personally...because it isn't...

15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, some of us get corrected more than others, and certainly haven't noticed any shyness on part of moderators to do so. :)

16. fascination

well and therein lies the paradox of why many don't post...a result can mean something, mean nothing ...mean anything in between and the recipients of that info, depending upon how they feel about the poster can diminish that result or magnify it or whatever...so for some the value of public rumination is simply...of no value...that is all...for those that... lol...want to discuss their climax with others if they percieved it as such...there it was...it is not of value to all people...it is not a public journey for all people....

17. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Well, YMMY worked well years ago and I think it works well here too

18. fascination

ditto that...congrats on the standard results and kudos on the determination in latin

19. fascination

not acquainted with what YMMY means

20. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Hrmm, neither is urbandictionary or acronymfinder.