General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

You know what I've noticed? Weekends are a very, very slow time in DF. I can only assume everybody's out dancing. So what gives, folks? How was your dance weekend?

Did you do a workshop or a comp or class or lesson? Aren't you just dying to share what you've been up to the past two days?

Do tell. :wink: 8)

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Actually this weekend was a quiet one for me. The only dancing I did was parctice for a swing demo in June today afternoon.

Can't you tell? :lol:

3. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Slow - 2nd weekend in a row that I've shown up at a social and decided it was so empty I pretty much went straight home (different place each time).
    Had a tryout with someone new to the area which turned into a nice way to spend a while dancing and talking, though probably not headed towads a competition anytime soon.

4. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

I did three one hour workshops yesterday, took a nap in my car, and then headed out for four more hours of social dancing!! I am TIRED!!! :lol:

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I'm danced out! I don't think I've ever had a weekend like this.

Friday night 10 - 1am at my favourite monthly club (the place rocked! :D), Saturday Cuban style workshops (Noon - 3.45pm with a 1/2 hour break, lots of body isolation work) followed by party night with a Cuban band playing live (got there at 8, left around 1am?), then another monthly club on Sunday from 6 till 10 including a 1-hour LA style class. It was a warm night (for Scotland), and the club had no air-con and just one small fan... it got so hot even I had to sit out some songs. :shock: :lol:
    And it's only 4 days before I fly out to Spain for the SalsaMed Festival. :banana: :banana: :banana:
    2 days' workshops and 3 nights' partying. I hope I'll live to tell the tale after all this...

6. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Sunday I went to watch an in-studio mini-competition, to cheer for another student. It felt odd being a spectator, and not a participant.

7. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

My weekend was an event packed one, but I didn't feel 100%, so I didn't dance as much (or as well) as I normally would.

I went to a workshop on Sunday.

Now, for those of you lucky ducks going to L.A Congress, watchout for GianCarlo & Liz of Latinissimo from Melbourne.......! They are our own version of Luis & Joby.

There were 3 workshops. (1) Connection & lead/follow (2) Spins & Shines (3) Advanced tricks. If you do all three it's $60, or two for $50. Very reasonable.

After watching the demo, my partner 'El Washing Machine' decided that he wasn't confident to lead me through the advanced tricks, being unfamiliar with their style. So we only ended up doing the first two.

Eventhough L.A. style as such is far from our comfort zone, we were clearly the most experienced club dancers there. So apart from learning the style/pattern, we watched everyone else worked through the connection & related issues. My partner had a harder time learning to lead unfamiliar patterns, while I have managed to follow everyone relatively easily (& somehow got everyone to crack up in laughters by being a clown). Ironically, when we rotated to be with each other, we stuff the whole thing up completely ! I guess we slip back into our normal auto-pilot mode, having danced together for so many years .

The spins were by far the toughest for me, as expected. I never did managed to spot, despite being shown repeatedly over the years (& now). My partner was pretty good at it though, we compensated for eachother over the years, but I still want to be able to hold it on my own !

On the other hand, I found shines really easy, as all the moves were pretty much what I do normally during descarga. I just don't structure them that way! My partner usually sits out the descargas, so he finds it challenging.

I had to sit down for the last 15 mins......not feeling 100% & exhausted.

It was a good experience overall. The comments we would like to make were perhaps the complete lack of emphsis on musicality. Apart from the last 10 mins or so, no music was being played....no wonder so many people have trouble with staying on beat, let alone playing with the music ! The students from this kind of learning environment also felt compelled to memorise routines move by move. This is a perfect condition to create pattern dancers !

8. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

I didn't dance at all--except for in the show I'm doing. :|

9. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Is that the show you told me about involving the pole and naughty lingerie? I hope so, I am soooooo looking forward to those photos. ;)

My dance weekend involved my usual three hours of ballroom on Saturday evening. As the Roy Jones fight was going on (and I live in Pensacola), most of the older people stayed home or went to parties. So, it ended up being a group of us 20-somethings. It was a lot of fun.

And the good news...my tango, because I hate it, is getting better. Jason was laughing at me because I was mad I had to dance it. He said my technique and form and steps were better than people who loved to dance it. You are supposively not supposed to smile while tango-ing...and I wasn't. Apparently, I was expressing the proper amount of whatever it takes to tango well. I still hate it though...

April

10. Genesius Redux

:lol: No--you're supposed have this look on your face like "I eat my mate after sex." :lol:

April--Sugar--believe me, nobody has ever wanted to see me pole dance.... :lol:

11. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

<<Normally, this face cannot convey "I eat my mate" after anything. I look too innocent. ;)

12. Genesius Redux

Not to those of us who have gotten to know you.... :wink:

And with this post, the Boy from Tennessee passes the girl from the UK....

13. danceguy

danceguy New Member

Humm...the IRU thread has a good indicator of my dancing weekend. Friday night went dancing out of town...danced with my friend a few and the one girl I asked to dance turned me down...hardly anyone was there. Major bummer. Sunday evening...went to a new venue...again, no dancers there and danced more with the same friend. She's a great dancer but I so wanted to dance with different people! :oops: :?

Left there and buzzed 20 miles north to get to my regular Sunday night venue...arrived at almost 9 pm and asked the security guy what the crowd was like. He said "there's seems to be a lot of ladies" and I was in there so fast people thought I might have teleported! I set my things down and within 30 seconds I was on the floor dancing! :p

There were a lot of ladies...I stayed until closing (about 3 hours) and danced more than I ever have...went home and got to bed at 2 am and woke up at 6:30...I'm exhausted today but last night was so theraputic...can't wait until this Friday! :banana:

SG

14. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

First weekend that I've hit salsa clubs Fri., Sat., & Sun. nights in a looooooooooong time. *MUCH* fun!!! Hadn't actually been out on Sunday in months... got some great dances in with people I don't see very often! :D

15. dnquark

dnquark New Member

Stanford's annual Big Dance - 9 pm to 6 am. Was part of the winning polka relay race team along with 3 other couples, got to remember why cross-step waltz is the best dance ever, for half a minute did role reversed reverse redowa successfully, danced a few line dances (bus stop, jitterbug stroll, chicken dance). A fun schottische; left turning polka; a few magnificent rotary waltzes... A faked tango, a faked mazurka. And the usual assortment of lindy, nc2s, salsa, hustle.

If you aren't jealous, you should be :)

16. squirrel

squirrel New Member

my weekend sucked!

my regular salsa night on thursday was mostly merengue... on friday I got invited to this salsa party, thrown by an acquintance of mine, where there was anything else but salsa (actually there was some salsa, one CD of Celia Cruz I'm not crazy about, 'cause of the salsa-hiphop mix) so we went to the club and the music sucked!... on saturday, the music sucked, as always...

17. Sabor

Sabor New Member

i see what u mean chinita.. and probably that is a factor contributing to less musicality and more patterns by dancers.. but.. on the other hand its largely a business.. the nature of workshops makes time very limitted.. accordingly, they cram the most number of patterns in the time available becasue that is usually what the students look for or their priority at this stage.. and leave the musicality part for the students themselves to work on later at their leisure..and with help from others more experienced dancers.. because dancing and playing with the beat is a totally different animal here.. this is what makes or breaks a dancer.. and would take much more time to teach than in a 2-3 day workshop.. so its kind of phases.. which should go first .. well thats prob'ly a whole arguement on its own cause it depends on each individual innate talents and perception :wink:

18. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Absolutely, Sabor!

For that reason I've decided NOT to teach.......

19. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

have we met? i've been to richard's last two waltz weeks in the summer.

i'm too old for redowa (torn acl & ruptured achilles - and that's just my left leg).
    ---------------------
    p.s. ballroom friday night, saturday night a wedding reception for two people who met in my old salsa class, got to be thun-darr the sun god (see pg. 263, item #34 in 95 theses 95 in garrison keillor's lake woebegone days for the reference, not to mention a little insight into my upbringing :p) with students who joined class after i left. one girl in particular gave me the eyes-glazed "i didn't think i could do that" look after i put her though about 6-7 multiple turns and she made a point of finding me & giving me a big hug when she left.

ahh, it's great to be king...

oh yeah , a little swing dancing sunday night.

20. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Mine was fantastic!! (I was going to use bold capitals there with the huge font setting, just so you get an idea of how great)

Took a Jive lesson with a teacher Ive never had before, he was fabulous, Id danced 1 dance with him and he picked up where I was needing help.
    An hour later I was dancing it really well, even he was a little suprised. He explained everything so well, and really seemed to care if I got it right.
    Then I spent 3 hours at a social dance, which Id have to say was the most fun Ive had yet.
    Dancing a cha cha I was led into a pile of spins and turns I had no idea how to do, I just let him lead them, he was catching me well and it really felt like I was dancing :lol: :lol: :lol: We laughed and had a lot of fun.
    I cant have done too badly as he asked me to dance again later in the night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.