General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DancePoet

DancePoet Well-Known Member

Another dance weekend!

On Saturday, I attended a workshop on dance competitions held at my studio. A husband and wife amateur dance couple provided the information and answered questions. They are also involved in helping organize and judge dance competitions. Very informative.

Then I had a private lesson with a fellow student to work on things learned in a recent foxtrot group class. And after dinner it was back to the studio for the Saturday Night Social. Usually I attend on Fridays and spend time with my so on Saturdays, but this week the scedule worked out differently, and therefore I had the opportunity to view the same couple from the workshop demonstarte a series of International style dances that they do in competition. Very nicely performed!

On Sunday, three group lessons involving Waltz, Rumba, and Foxtrot.

I'd say that was plenty! And fun!

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Whew! sounds like fun. :D

3. xwaltz

xwaltz New Member

ah, i was there too. :) dancing takes on a different sensation late at night or in the wee hours of the morning. i think i actually dance better then. hmm... do i know you... or have i danced with you..?

4. pygmalion

Any good stories? 8) :D

5. danceguy

danceguy New Member

See my post in Random Thoughts...I had a horrible dance weekend...so looking forward to better dancing in the future! :?

On a good note, I talked with some people from my local club and it looks like they are going to start making trips out of town for Salsa...and I can't wait since I'm growing bored with our dance scene in my area. Its so sporadic and its no fun at all when the men outnumber the women almost 4 to 1! :shock:

My privates have been paying off...since I see now where I've been making mistakes and where to put my energy to improve...so at least I have a direction to take my dancing for now... :D

SG

6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

My dance weekend... well, we had a good dance Friday evening. The only dance no one wanted to dance to in my mix was a Cajun waltz... which was too bad. Everyone else pretty much endured everything else I threw out. Personally, I didn't to a lot of dancing though because my foot started to hurt after wearing my dance sneakers.

Saturday morning: ran 5K in 31 minutes. My foot was still hurting. Went to farewell party Saturday afternoon. It was like 90 F here.

Saturday night, I went dancing at the studio where the other dance I'll be "working at" will be held next weekend. Not a lot of people. But I did get to meet the other mystery American-style dance instructor who I have heard about. Nice fellow. Perhaps one day in my life, but I don't know his credentials well enough.

Sunday morning, went to work for a few hours. Afternoon went to another farewell party. My foot still hurts.

Sunday night was a swing night. Again, I didn't dance too much. But it was highlighted by a demo by Wes and Debbie (in advance of their workshops and performances at Grand Nationals). Then the little kids took the floor with a jive/swing routine that was really cute. Then karaoke.

7. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

tj was in town burning up the Denver dancefloors! Great to see you again man, come back and visit again soon! :D

8. pygmalion

What's a Cajun waltz?

I had a great dance weekend, although all I did was dance around the house. I set goals, which I love to do, and I clarified my dance vision for the next year or so. You'll be hearing all about it in a bunch of threads to come, I have no doubt. LOL!

9. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Pretty event-packed weekend........not bad for near-winter here 8) .

Still recovering from my cold but sick of staying home, I went club hopping on Friday and ended up dancing til closing time back at the first one. Meet & dance with some visitors from Sydney (Cubans...!), got my fix!

Sat was one of those big functions where the whole building turned into a big salsa venue, with 4 rooms, 2 bands, & 2 DJs. Events like this always seem to draw the now-less-regulars out of the woodworks. I cuaght up with sooooooo many people I havn't seen in ages :D eventhough I was stuffed & didn't dance as much as I'd like to (bloody salsa shoes won't allow for too many hours on my feet :x chatting time included!).

Sun at our regular venue. I ended up doing a few quality numbers with one of the local instructors (no idea who he was at the time we met) whom I've recently started dancing with socially. A newbie friend commented on how he thought was the best I've been lead by anyone :shock: ......that I was getting 95% of his leads (so does that mean I usually get less :? :oops: ?).

Over this weekend a few more things came to mind, fit for DF discussion. I will go through them in my head before I share them........

10. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Just back from the SalsaMed Festival weekend (7 hours flight delay meant I got home around 5am this morning instead of 10pm last night :evil:).

It was great!!!
    :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
    I'm so glad I went. I'll definitely go back next year.
    More details later... got to run.

11. pygmalion

Cool. Glad you had fun. :D

12. goldfish

goldfish New Member

fantastic!! i hadn't done salsa for the longest time. partly because although i've had fun salsa dances, i've never had a grrreaat salsa dance. just dances that were fun, sometimes very fun, just not WOWW material. but this saturday i had it! a really fantabulous salsa dance! he had a sense of humour (amongst other things :notworth: ) that showed in the way he danced, which i'd never come across before in salsa.

one dance from a great lead that popped outta nowhere, but it made my night. my weekend actually teehee. :bouncy:

and it makes me want to be a better dancer heh. cause i'm in that awkward beginner-intermediate stage. got to start salsa classes again, and was totally inspired. maybe this weekend i'll get up the guts to ask him for his name (i was a bit stunned. and forgot!:tongue: ) . and for a dance!

13. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Glad to hear you had such a good time MacMoto! And that you had such a great dance goldfish!

Funny with that whole salsa/humor thing. I remember salsa dancing with someone new to town last year (who came from a Lindy background) and, in response to some of my clowning antics, said "I didn't know they did that in salsa!" :shock:

14. goldfish

goldfish New Member

yes that's it exactly. i never realized anyone would *want* to be funny in salsa. which is why i got more excited about lindy, cause you could totally cut loose and laugh on the dance floor :lol: :lol: but it's nice to crack old stereotypes. maybe it's the nature of the music lindy hop gets danced to as well? i've been wondering if there's anything in salsa music that gets that kind of mood going...

15. SDsalsaguy

I know I've posted it somewhere before, but one of my initial salsa inspirations and mentors had a moto that I always try to live up to... if I fail to get a laugh or at least a smile during a dance, I have failed.*

* Certainly the mood of some salsa music isn't the most conducive to getting a laugh (although much can be), but it always calls for a smile!

16. goldfish

goldfish New Member

i want to dance with you!

good motto for the follow too. but it's harder for the lead cause you have to think and plan. i smile pretty easily as a follow but one time i tried leading and WHOA. i was focusing so hard i must've looked pretty grim :evil:

17. SDsalsaguy

Any time goldfish, the pleasure would be all mine.

And, in case I wasn't clear enough, the moto is about getting a laugh/smile from my follower, whoever she may be, each and every song... in dancing *with* her and leading her in such a way that I am rewarded by her smile/laugh.

18. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

My weekend was fabulous! See "Well I did it!" thread in General section for details.

19. tj

tj New Member

This seems to be a good place as any to give my Denver salsa vacation report.

I went to Denver last weekend, and went dancing with friends.

On Friday, it was "Blue Ice", a club which opened up last fall (I think). A little on the small side. Parking was easy to find. I didn't care for the DJ since he played music just like he did at another club which died last summer.

It was good seeing a lot of people that I haven't seen in almost a year. Saw and spoke with Mr. Sassy Hips aka Youngsta. Got in a bunch of dances.

Saturday, I got invited to a smallish party (30 people) where we had total control of the music. Nice wood floor to dance on, and I knew just about everyone. A very good, safe, comfortable party.

Sunday, I went to the D-Note. Wow, was I shocked! :shock: Lots of new faces and it was pretty crowded. Kudos to Joseph Snowhawk who teaches there. He must be doing a good job of promoting the club, too.

Music, for the most part, was pretty good. A little too many merengues for my taste, but certainly better than other clubs/DJ's. My friends and I were some of the last to leave that night, and one of my friends got the DJ to play one more song.

What a nice weekend! Now I need a break, since I have been dancing 8 of the past 9 nights! Whew!

20. youngsta

youngsta Active Member

It's wierd T, Harry Jay has been playing some REAL good stuff at Blue Ice and then all of a sudden this past Friday...crap! And we were waayyyyy short on followers that night. Just a bad evening overall :( I did get a couple good dances though.

D'note was crazy packed! I really, REALLY don't like the salsa Luis plays though. To commercial for me. But I love the club and Joseph is good peeps so I'm there like clockwork! :lol: Great to see you again man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.