General Dance Discussion > So ... how was your dance weekend?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Here's my report on the SalsaMed Festival (21-23 May) I promised...

This was my first ever weekender. It was a lot smaller in scale than major international congresses, with an attendance figure of a few hundreds rather than thousands, which made it less intimidating for a backwater salsera like me. As you would expect from a Salsa-UK event in Spain, the English and Spaniards were the biggest groups, but there were also people from other countries. There were parties at night Friday, Saturday and Sunday and workshops during the day Saturday and Sunday. The venue was a very nice 4-star hotel in a small resort near Salou, in Costa Dorada, and the holiday package included accommodation at this hotel or 4-star resort complex next-door on half-board basis, plus flights and transfers.

Workshops ran from 11.00 to 6.30 (or 7.45 if you took optional classes) and were organised based on fixed classes, i.e., you would indicate your skill level at the time of booking and would be given a pass to the class of your level on arrival. You would be allowed to move to a different class if the class you were placed in turned out to be too easy or too hard (I started in improvers and switched to intermediate), but you wouldn't be able to choose which workshops to attend freely. The advantage of this system was that you would have regular "classmates", which made it easier to make friends. Also, all the teachers taught all the classes at least once, so you wouldn't get the usual problem of overcrowding in classes given by famous/popular teachers. The drawback was that you wouldn't be able to take, for example, higher intermediate classes in LA style along with beginners' Cuban, so people familiar with only one style struggled to keep up with some of the workshops. I was going to do all 12 workshops but was too tired and had to skip the Sunday optional class. I really liked Susana Montero's classes -- very good breakdown of moves with lots of small tips to make things flow smoothly. Also enjoyed Edie and Al's workshop, which was inspirational and fun if a bit fast-paced. I also took Edie's ladies styling workshop (optional), which was all about her "freedom concept". You are probably familiar with this if you have her styling video, but it was all new to me and very interesting.

Parties started at 11pm, but dancing didn't really get going until well after midnight. I left around 3.30., but I hear hardcore dancers stayed until 5am. There was a show time during each night, including a "world premiere" of Edie and Al's new show on Saturday (a sequel to their robot piece but this time with a Wild West theme -- very entertaining). The most memorable, however, was the cross-dressing competition on Sunday with a "Miss World" contest (see photos on the Salsa-UK website (w w w.salsa-uk.com/images/HOF/SalsaMed2004/01/Page2.html) -- spot Al and Nelson Flores in drag :shock:). Outside of the show times, it was very much a straight no-chaser salsa/mambo affair (over the 3 nights, the DJs played two cha cha's, two bachatas and no merengues! :shock:), but I felt that, considering the overall amount of dancing during the event and the varied skill levels of participants, there were a bit too many turbo salsas and not enough variety. I sat out a lot more songs than I normally do.

:D :D :D's:
    • Meeting lots of salsa people. I was apprehensive about going alone, but by the end of the holiday I made many friends, both in and outside my class.
    • Dancing with my "dream partner" :D :D :D -- I had my best dance ever with a complete stranger! We clicked instantly, and he led me beautifully. Even multiple spins didn't spoil it. I danced with him only a couple of times but made sure my last dance was with him, and when I thanked him, he complemented on how light I felt. I went back to my apartment like this -> :bouncy:
    • Witnessing cross-dressed Edie and Al dancing in reversed roles -- hilarious! One of my classmates I got friendly with managed to get a trophy dance with Edie.
    • Seeing a beautiful bachata performance.
    • Watching London dancers dancing in the airport waiting room (I would have joined in if it hadn't been for my injury).

:( :( :('s:
    • Falling and hurting my knee on arrival at my hotel. It didn't hurt at that time, but obviously dancing day and night wasn't the best thing to do... by the time I got home it was twice the size and I was limping.
    • Not dancing very well at the parties -- especially Saturday night, when I was too tired after 6 workshops. The marble floor didn't help either. Not only was it hard on your feet, it got sticky as the party went into full swing and the temperature (and humidity) rose. Isn't it funny you can have your best dance ever on an off night nursing a sore knee?
    • Not having time for anything other than dancing. It was my first visit to Spain, and all I saw was the hotel, a couple of beach-side cafes and the airport. I think I'll opt for the 1-week package next time, which gives lots of free time for exploring the area as well as excursions to clubs in Barcelona.
    • Realising that I probably won't have a chance to dance with my "dream partner" again... :cry:
    • Having to wait at the airport for 9 hours for my flight home -- my flight was delayed over 7 hours. I got home around 5am looking like a living dead.

2. squirrel

squirrel New Member

Wow... MacMoto... sounds like a really nice weekend

3. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

Sounds like fun! Wish I was there :D !

:shock: You mean you didn't grab his contact details (or get him on DF :wink: ).......? The Salsa global network might lead you back to each other. It's a small world afterall 8) .......don't give up hope, sista!

4. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

This weekend is going to be bad because there is a National event being held for the studio in another state and I can't afford to go! :cry:

All the studios will be closed from Friday to Monday while the instructors are interstate with their "rich" students who could make the trip. I hate being poor!!!

Oh well, I'll just have to see if I can get together with other poor dancing friends and have a coffee or maybe dinner so that we can console each other! :roll:

5. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Wow!! The week has barely started and you are worrying about the weekend? :shock:

My weekend is going to be a quiet one too, but that's fine with me. I have so many things that I want to do and never have time for. Hang out with my non-dancing friends, maybe do some web page stuff, extra dance practice time...look into chicago steppin' or breakdancin' a little more...perhaps work on ballroom so I don't forget everything...maybe a private to learn the lindy swingout... :)

6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

So... some of us still have those, huh? :lol: :lol:

7. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I live for my dancing. Working is just a way to earn money to dance and kill time between classes!!! :lol:

8. squirrel

squirrel New Member

dancin_feet... this is the very truth! I do the same... working pays the bills and allows me to get involved in dance-related stuff...

I WISH I WERE RICH!!!!

9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

LOL... I used to say that grad school was what I did just to keep busy until all the salsa clubs opened up at night! :wink: :lol:

10. squirrel

squirrel New Member

SD... LOL...

11. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Work...

... is where I check DF. :lol: :lol:

12. SDsalsaguy

:lol:

Good one MacMoto... and, based on the times of day that most people login and the fact that weekend participation is much slower, I'd say you're far from the only one! :lol:

13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

That, and the fact that we dance addicts go out DANCING on weekends rather than staying in from of the pc......... :wink: !

14. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

Weekends and at night .......

Yes during the day at work is the only time I have to check DF as well!! so guess I'm never really away from dancing at all!! :lol:

15. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

I know, I know! My brain stops working when dancing starts, and after a particularly good dance I'm on such a high I'm totally incoherent... :oops:

16. squirrel

squirrel New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW... I totally sympathise with you, MacMoto!

17. Tasek

Tasek New Member

Needed a place to vent, so here goes,

bad weekend of dancing :(

Earlier this week some dumbass hit me with a shopping cart in the supermarket, hurt my right knee.

Friday: if not for my knee this would have been a great night, good turnout, good music, good atmosphere, got in a couple of excellent dances early on, then my knee started acting up, and there was me, sitting everything out, while everyone else was having a good time :( damned frustrating, left early.

Saturday: Went to an end of season dance of one of the local dance schools, got there before it got real crowded, managed a few decent dances. Then it got crowded, and "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" as a lot of the people there demonstrated; they knew some 'big' moves, yet didn't quite get that when the dancefloor is crowded you keep it small, and if you do hit someone, please be so polite as to apologise, or at least acknowledge it, pisses me of; some **** steps into you, and then goes on with a straight face as though the dancefloor is exclusively theirs, and this happened quite a few times last night :evil: :(
    And again my knee acted up :(

A few good moments, but overall it sucked this weekend :( :( :(
    Ah well, thank you for letting me rant, needed to get it off my chest, no more dancing planned until thursday, so my knee should get a chance to heal again, and i'll give it another try next weekend.

18. SDsalsaguy

Sorry to hear about the knee thing Tasek, that sucks. :(

As far as the "dancers" you describe... :evil: :x :evil:

19. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

:friend: As a fellow knee injury sufferer, I feel for you... it totally sucks. Take care.

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Here's hoping next weekend will be better, Tasek. Love that signature line, btw. Dave Barry is a personal favorite. 8)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.